• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When this happens (which I'm sure is all the time based on movies I've seen) what happens to the person who was pulled over originally? Can they just drive away or do they have to wait for the cop to come back?

Was the ISP guy actually on the side of the road? In any case, when something more pressing comes along, you simple tell the person "don't do it again, you can go after I leave" then you take off.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Was the ISP guy actually on the side of the road? In any case, when something more pressing comes along, you simple tell the person "don't do it again, you can go after I leave" then you take off.

Not sure. The OP said he had a car pulled over, I took that to mean he had pulled someone over, but now that I've looked the article it doesn't actually mention that. Maybe OP meant he had *his* car pulled over.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I saw that. I meant when the car initially passed him. Think about it. If you're doing 70/80mph, and car passes you at 150/160, you can't flip a switch and match that speed. While you're trying to get up to speed, that car you're chasing is still hauling butt and creating distance.

Good point. The officer really had no chance of catching the guy at those speeds (without intervention by others..or crashing out).

Most people don't really grasp how fast 150-160 mph really is. I get it and there is no way I would try to run those speeds on Indiana roads/highways.
    Just to put it in perspective..we drag race 1/8th mile. We run the 1/8th (obviously from a standing start) in 4.6 seconds at 155-160 mph. So, by the time the guy passed the officer and the officer reacted and started chasing, the guy was putting some serious distance between them. It wouldn't take long (depending on traffic) to stretch that gap out to 3/4 -1 mile between him and the officer. To me that just verifies the officer should have terminated the pursuit with hope that other officers could intervene down the road. To some degree, I have to wonder how much danger the officer could have been putting other drivers in by himself weaving in/out of traffic at those speeds.
    But to me the safest way to get someone to stop at those speeds would be basically exactly what happened, a rolling road block. No doubt in my mind that a PIT would be far too hazardous at those speeds (I have seen too many crashes at those speeds). Would stop sticks even be a good option at those speeds?

I really like fast cars, but the reality is there are far too many people who own these (and other types) cars that just really don't have any business driving a car that fast. Heck, I acknowledge that police sometimes should pursue and have been trained but realistically they should only be pursuing at those speeds on a very rare occasion. I am a firm believer police are some of the most distracted drivers on the road (nature of the job), and some even though "trained" just simply do not possess the skill set needed and are more of a liability than an asset in those conditions.

Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI

WSBT 22 reported the officer had just finished assisting a broken down motorist and was merging back into traffic when the Hellcat went around him.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was gonna ask how the truckers knew to block traffic? The article isn't clear whether they knew to to block traffic or were just being modern day d-bag truckers?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I was gonna ask how the truckers knew to block traffic? The article isn't clear whether they knew to to block traffic or were just being modern day d-bag truckers?

Probably CB radio traffic from other truckers warning of the pursuit. Or they were just D-bag truckers in the right place at the right time.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Factory cars that go that fast are pretty cool, but unless they're being taken to the race track, it's just for bragging rights. And how much are they paying for that speed? I've got a bone stock 2013 GSXR1000 in the garage that'll do 150 in third gear. The speedo will actually stop counting at 186, but you can watch the tach keep climbing. If I dropped a couple grand into it, it would easily go over 200. And it was under $12k out the door at the dealership. The point is, buying speed is easy. Actually doing something with it isn't common.

Super Trucker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    In front of you
    Factory cars that go that fast are pretty cool, but unless they're being taken to the race track, it's just for bragging rights. And how much are they paying for that speed? I've got a bone stock 2013 GSXR1000 in the garage that'll do 150 in third gear. The speedo will actually stop counting at 186, but you can watch the tach keep climbing. If I dropped a couple grand into it, it would easily go over 200. And it was under $12k out the door at the dealership. The point is, buying speed is easy. Actually doing something with it isn't common.

I had a Hayabusa that was goverened at 186, it would go faster once a TRE was added to the bike. The dealer said it was some international law that a vehicle couldn't fgo over 300km, I never looked to see if that were true.
    I would be shocked if your bike would go over 186 stock though.

Once mine had a turbo it would top 200 but not before that addition. It was a track bike for those that get excited to easily.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

More common than you think.

11-07-14-meth-arrest-deborah-asher-laurel-county-sheriff_s-department.jpg

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just have to make it think it's in 5th gear and not 6th and the limiter won't kick in (like a TRE, but just flash the ECU to remove the secondary throttle restriction and eliminate the babysitter). It's not a law, just an agreement between the big three as not to encourage top speed competitions.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had a Hayabusa that was goverened at 186, it would go faster once a TRE was added to the bike. The dealer said it was some international law that a vehicle couldn't fgo over 300km, I never looked to see if that were true.
    I would be shocked if your bike would go over 186 stock though.

Once mine had a turbo it would top 200 but not before that addition. It was a track bike for those that get excited to easily.

That is a European and maybe Asian "agreement" last I knew. But that has been several years ago. It might be law by now.

As to the OP, I remember this happening. From the story I read, the guy pulled over as soon as he seen the police lights.

Let me see if I can find the story.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was on my way home one night last summer around 0400 on 465 on the southeast side and a bike blew my doors off. By the time I switched my radar to the correct setting to clock him, I briefly got a lock at 151mph. There was absolutely nothing I could do at that point except keep on heading home and hope the State boys didn't have to respond to a fatality.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    If one were to blow by a top fuel dragster at 180 mph and the dragster started right when the cars were even, the dragster would pass the guy going 180 mph in less than 1000 feet. Now that is some serious speed.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    A day at the race track is less expensive than your first reckless driving ticket...I've ridden with idiots on the road before and didn't feel the need to compete. At the track there are significant deceleration zones and run off on the corners, no poles to wrap your head around and no oncoming traffic. Recovering in a hospital is not my idea of fun. It's just not worth it.

Top Bottom