have a backup plan (Centennial Bridge shooting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    From a friend:

This is a video that makes you think, at least it should.

This is a dash cam video of a shooting on the Centennial Bridge over the Mississippi River in the Quad Cities. The uniformed officer is from Davenport, IA and is also a guard in our Davenport office.
    Vmix : Complete footage of Centennial bridge shooting
    NSFW - Language

The bad guy had just knocked out a person with one punch about 15-20 minutes prior to this incident at a homeless shelter/soup kitchen. A nun at the shelter said that the bad guy was going to kill someone. The bad guy weighed in at around 280 and was about 6'06".

Only one probe from the Taser hit the bad guy. You can see he had an initial reaction to the Taser but quickly fought through it and was on the officer. Think about the "what ifs" and prepare yourself for them. Thankfully an off duty East Moline, IL officer was there to assist and was carrying.

From the Quad City Times:

The Davenport police officer who shot a man on the Centennial Bridge last week was "reasonable and justified" in his actions during a seconds-long life-or-death struggle, Scott County Attorney Mike Walton announced Thursday.

Steven Mallory, 39, was seriously injuring officer Clif Anderson and would have continued to do so if Anderson did not shoot him twice with his Glock .40-caliber handgun, Walton said.

The first shot to Mallory's chest hit his lungs and heart and is believed to be the shot that killed him, Walton said. The second entered his torso near his spleen and went through his body.

Mallory had bitten an eyebrow off Anderson, punched him, choked him and slammed his head against the pavement. The fight ended after Jim Weakley, an East Moline detective who happened to be passing by on the bridge, stopped and attempted to get Mallory off Anderson. Weakley couldn't, but Anderson then was able to remove his gun from his holster and shoot Mallory, officials said. Anderson will require plastic surgery.

"I'd go so far as to say it was heroic," Walton said, adding that Anderson saved injury and possibly the lives of others by stopping Mallory.

Mallory had a lengthy violent history and was a suspect in an unprovoked assault 15 minutes earlier. That assault knocked out Rylan Bebermeyer, a volunteer at the Café on Vine, a free meal site in Davenport that Mallory visited.

It was unfortunate that the incident resulted in death, Walton said, but there was no other reasonable course of action. The investigation into the incident is mostly complete, he said. Toxicology reports are not yet back on Mallory.

A written report is expected in several weeks, Walton said.

"I think it's fair to say officer Anderson thought he was going to die," during the assault, Walton said.

Walton released the full video of the incident, as well as photos of Anderson's injuries. The video, taken by Anderson's squad car camera, shows Anderson approaching Mallory, who was identified as the suspect in the Café on Vine assault by a witness who followed Mallory to the bridge. Anderson orders Mallory to his knees several times. When Mallory fails to comply, Anderson deploys his Taser.

The Taser did not work. Investigators believe it failed because only one of the weapon's two prongs hit Mallory. Mallory then charges at Anderson and takes him to the ground in a narrow space between Anderson's police cruiser and the railing dividing traffic from the bridge's sidewalk.

At that point, the struggle moves off screen, and Weakley arrives on the scene.

Anderson tells Mallory that if he does not get off, he is going to shoot. Shots are fired. Mallory comes back into view of the camera and collapses on the ground.

Anderson informs dispatchers of shots fired. He then kneels beside Mallory with Weakley standing nearby. Fellow officers, who were already en route to assist Anderson with the stop, arrive on the scene. They move Anderson away from Mallory.

When asked if he is OK, a bleeding Anderson replies, "I don't know."

Anderson remains on leave. He will be required to undergo treatment to make sure he is mentally and physically ready to return to work, officials said.

"He seems to be doing well in light of the circumstances," Davenport Police Chief Frank Donchez said. "He's looking forward to getting back to work."

An internal police department investigation will evaluate whether the department's policies and procedures were followed, Donchez said.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I've never understood the use of tasers as a first draw weapon. If the start of an encounter warrants a pull it should be a gun not a taser. I hope the officer will be ok.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I relayed this story to the class in Indy a few weeks ago. The best man at my wedding is a Sgt in East Moline IL the agency the off duty detective is from.

We train for this exact scenario in every class. You are armed, and during and altercation knocked to the ground. The attacker closes in on you and begins to punch you in the face and smash your head into the ground. This is the time for deadly force no matte how you can accomplish it, open hand, with a brick, a knife or a gun (if you can deploy it). It is also a time for contact shots.

The victim officer reported that he was unable to see or hear the detective who was giving verbal commands and striking the suspect in the back of the head before applying a rear naked choke. This is when he was shot.

A few things- the suspect who was a career bad guy had just left a soup kitchen after punching a volunteer in the face. You could tell from the fact that he stepped over the rail with his right leg first and spun to his left side that he was right handed. He began the assault with an angle #1 punch (haymaker). This is how the majority of open hand, edged weapon and impact weapon attacks start, especially if the attacker has to take a few steps to close the distance.

Once the officer had both hands on the Taser he was unable to effectively defend against the punch. You can see that at the last second he takes his left hand off the Taser to defend but it is two late. Again we see that having the gun/taser extended forward causes weapon/task fixation and takes the reaction side hand out of play for defense. You can also see that in the beginning when he had one hand on the Taser he was moving around pretty good. Once he established a two handed grip he only moved straight back.

Yes, the suspect did take a nice chunck out his eye. Are you prepared and trained to draw your gun after being knocked flat on you...... on concrete? Think about it. Glad the suspect got center punched and will no longer draw air.

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    most departments have a force Continuum they are trained to follow, verbal, hands on, less than lethal and then lethal. He did exactly how we are trained. The physical attack didn't start until after the taser was deployed, which honestly works very, very well. It looked as if the officer show a lot of constraint (I couldn't hear any audio) to that point. By then the 21 feet rule was a moot point and he was fighting for his life. I'm glad the Detective, was there to save his life. I wish him a full recovery and hope he can return back to work. God bless them both.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Glad it ended ok. Those cops look out of shape to the extent that the one guy is blessed to have walked away without a heart attack, let alone one perp, having killed him.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Glad it ended ok. Those cops look out of shape to the extent that the one guy is blessed to have walked away without a heart attack, let alone one perp, having killed him.

They were pretty average. The endurance you get from cardio and general fitness training are different that fighting endurance, it helps, but the only way to get fighting endurance is to fight. Not sure what shape any of us would be in after having our skull bounced off the street and a chunk bitten off our eyebrow.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Imagine if that happened to you. Have you ever practiced drawing once knocked on your back. How far behind your hip is your gun, can you get to it while laying flat on your back. Have you ever considered having to make contact distance shots?

Earlier this year a MD deputy was trying to get a BG off of another officer. The guy was beating him unconscious and trying to get his gun. The officer shot him once in the chest and the guy did not stop. He then placed the gun to his temple and pulled the trigger. It was over.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Earlier this year a MD deputy was trying to get a BG off of another officer. The guy was beating him unconscious and trying to get his gun. The officer shot him once in the chest and the guy did not stop. He then placed the gun to his temple and pulled the trigger. It was over.

If it's the story I'm thinking of, I don't think the guy who shot the BG in the head was a cop. I thought he was just a good samaritan with a license & a handgun.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thoughts from a trainer friend of mine:

Hind sight is always 20-20, but some lessons for the good guys are:

1. When the bad guy had the hand rail between himself and the badguy was he more or less safe from the charging attack? Could the good guy have proned him out on the other side of the barricade and then effected the arrest?

2. Anticipate that the bad guy may not comply with verbal commands. Any of you level 3 or 4 guys have already seen this in role playing. Jeff and I don't give you non-compliance scenarios just to make it hard on you. The bad guy knows his background and intentions. The good guys do not. Know and preplan what you will do if he doesn't comply.

3. Notice the pre-assaultive behavior of the bad guy? Closing distance, looking over his shoulder, turning sideways to make a smaller target, you can see the wheels turning in the ****'s head.

4. Note the awareness of the off duty cop. He sees the approaching responding officers and makes sure he has his gun put away so that he doesn't get shot by other responding cops. His positioning is really quite good.

5. The patrol officer doesn't give up once the attack starts. Mindset is everything.

6. When using the taser if you only get one probe in the bad guy, use the touch stun to complete the circuit. Taser disablements are directly proportional to the muscle mass between the probes. Had the good guy used the taser in touch stun it would have likely taken him down.

This clip should be required viewing for all the good guys out there.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Wow you dont leave much to be said after that.:) Very good video to make you stop and think about some things. You never know where you will be fighting for your life. Off duty LEO did a very nice job from what I saw.

JuggaloP380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Northside/Castleton
    I think you friend makes a lot of excellent points, but no matter how much training we have we are all still human, i know i wouldve had double the recovery time of that officer if i got my eyebrow bit off, ouch. And its a crazy world gettin worse out there, i also agree that the video should be viewed by more people, its just proof that some people really do have intentions of hurting you.

Top Bottom