• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I need to replace my cc gun, (Titan. 25 auto) and ive been looking around and at conceal-ability, capacity, etc, and was wondering this question. I'd like to have a taurus 85 or something, but whats the advantage of that over a PF9, or Bersa .380, or LCP, etc? I know revolvers cant really jam or misfeed, but is that it? Thanks:ar15:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I'd say that's pretty much it. About the only other advantage is that some people with physical limitations might have a hard time racking the slide of a semi auto. Also, you would be hard pressed to find good revolvers at the prices of those semi auto models you mentioned.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    revolvers are generally at least a little more bulky and tend to be heavier. Some people just like them for nostalgia sake (I have one I carry from time to time and two others for punching holes and things). But I personally wouldn't buy another one.

Last edited:

Jetrefz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Indianapolis
    snubbies

I am seriously thinking about getting a smith 5 shot airweigh...light, compact, simple, snagless, accurate, and 100% reliable...they still have a place as far as i am concerned.....capacity and reloading are an issue but 5-6 shots should be enough to handle any up close social problems
    I need to replace my cc gun, (Titan. 25 auto) and ive been looking around and at conceal-ability, capacity, etc, and was wondering this question. I'd like to have a taurus 85 or something, but whats the advantage of that over a PF9, or Bersa .380, or LCP, etc? I know revolvers cant really jam or misfeed, but is that it? Thanks:ar15:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Snubbies have in not lost their place. Revolvers are much less sensitive to malfunctions due to dirt and heavy use associated with concealed carry on an ankle or in a pocket. Hammerless/Centenial models are near snag free on the draw and can be fired from inside a pocket. DAO revolvers have no safeties to remember and will not fail to eject or fail to feed. A failure to fire requires only another pull of the trigger. The slide on your snub is not going to bite your hand if you grip it incorrectly when grabbing it in a stress situation. Yes a snubby can have a mechnical malfuction, but that is true of any gun.

The other choice is an ultra, micro, mini, mouse gun. A common choice in this category might be a .380 with a blowback action and barrel less then 3 inches in length. Not a bad choice but it is still a relatively low capacity handgun firing what many would consider a minimal defensive cartridge when fired from a larger (longer barrel) handgun. Best thing these guns have going for them is they are flat, light and can be purchased new for less then $300.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've handled quite a few of the small (pocket) semi autos and they pretty much get lost in my hands. The LCR and J-Frames feel MUCH, MUCH better to me. A short barreled K-frame would be nice too though. As far as capacity limitations, if you're using a semi and need to reload several times...you've brought the wrong gun. Doesn't really matter much if you have 5, 6, 8, 9 if you're being attacked by a mob or can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Have snubbies lost their place?
    I just checked, my Charter Arms undercover is still in it's place, neatly tucked in my right boot. All five federal .38 hollow points are still in their place also.

Just kind of kidding around, but the small revolvers are still a viable tool for concealed work. Not saying anything against the small autos. Different tools can perform the same job.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Have snubbies lost their place?
    I just checked, my Charter Arms undercover is still in it's place, neatly tucked in my right boot. All five federal .38 hollow points are still in their place also.

Just kind of kidding around, but the small revolvers are still a viable tool for concealed work. Not saying anything against the small autos. Different tools can perform the same job.

My Charter Undercover is in the outside pocket of my pack I carry to school everyday. BTW, Leo, got anymore .45 brass yet?:D

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    picture.php

Love my S&W Model 10! It's normal use is for HD--headboard gun--but I carry it when giving my XD9sc a rest. Rides quite nicely in the 4:00 position thankyouverymuch.

My wife carries a S&W 442 and she loves hers as well.

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    My S&W 642 is a GREAT small carry gun. I always carry it if I can't wear a jacket that covers my M19 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special.

You can't go wrong with a J frame revolver in this application.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My 642 travels with me daily on my way to work, where it resides in my car until after work, where it then gets clipped to my scrubs for the ride home. And yes, a 1911 is just a bit heavy for scrubs to hold up.:D

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I normally carry a 1911 but I have been know to carry a Smith Airweight also. Any gun is better than no gun. I still love having revolvers and I always will. They never fail and can be concealled really easily.

If you ever get into a situation that requires more than a couple rounds, then you are hanging around the wrong place. I know a lot of people think you need to have more than 5 shots but if you hit the average person once with a good shot and they dont go down, then you need to resort to plan B and that means run and run fast!

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I am seriously thinking about getting a smith 5 shot airweigh...light, compact, simple, snagless, accurate, and 100% reliable...they still have a place as far as i am concerned.....capacity and reloading are an issue but 5-6 shots should be enough to handle any up close social problems

Just keep in mind that certain fans of a particular plastic pistol claim that 8 rounds of .45 ACP are not nearly enough.

I'm more of the opinion that, while having over a dozen rounds may be comforting, there are very few civilians who NEED that many. Most defensive shootings are are over in 2 or 3 rounds. .38 Special revolvers were carried by many many people for a lot of years.

One place where I too would prefer a higher ammo capacity is in home defense. When you are out in public, the purpose of your defensive handgun is to stop the attacker long enough for you to get away. When you are in your home, the ultimate goal isn't to 'get away,' but to be able to defend a position (and those in it). from attack, and there may be multiple attackers.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think a double stack 9mm has a definite capacity advantage over a snub nose revolver. Once you start looking at single stack magazines though, that advantage disappears.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    My charter arms 357 mag pug traveled 70 miles round trip today tucked in the 4 oclock position with two bianchi speed strips in my pocket. Looking at a taurus 327 on cdnn website for 249$ right now. Cant go wrong with a snubby:twocents:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My S&W mdls 36 and 60 have been passed down to my daughters, the 2 1/2 in mdl 66 with the Sheriffs dept crest go's to my son. They served me well in the 80's and 90's,and i wished I had the mdl 37 airweight back, but sadly I went over to the dark side in the late 90"s and carry exclusivly the Glock-23 or Glock-27 in .40 cal.

Snubby advantage? Five rounds of Boom most of the time (Murpheys Law), Baby Glock? Ten rounds of Boom most of the time (same law see above).

Top Bottom