• ...and so much more!
  • jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    MidwayUSA today ~1100 hours had 9mm 124gr S&B for $215 on the 1000.

$251 to the door with tax and shipping. (including NRA roundup)

Note that a year ago I was purchasing the same ammo for $159 to $179 (under $200 to the door) on a routine basis. Current pricing is as high as I've paid in the last 5 to 10 years.

Last edited:

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    My LGS is selling 100 round boxes for $25.99
    of browning 115 grain

rural king (if their on the shelves) usually is still pretty solid with the 200 round box of browning for $39.99 and Remington umc for about $12.99 from what I have seen

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Fairly decent deals out there if you watch the right places. They're fewer and further between, but they're out there. And when you find a deal you better jump on it, stock won't last long at all

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I still stop in Rural King every week and find 9mm for around $10 a box. Friday they had Sig 147gr @ $16 for 20 so I stocked up on 357 instead. Glad I got in on the ammo deals when Gander Outdoors went defunct.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep. Covid, Floyd, Election coming up... Its going to be interesting for sure.

This sums it up nicely. The warehouses were stacked pretty deep and we weathered Covid19 with higher prices but pretty decent inventory. I told people to settle down, summer time would see some normalcy. Now the riots and other politically polarizing events have started right in front of an election. If you need some ammo grab some, I don’t see prices going down until next year so long as the election results allow that to happen.

9mm pricing locally is $269 per 1000 for brass cased ammo. .223 is $429 per 1000. So not cheap but not priced as to be unavailable.

Reloading supplies are tighter now then they were in 2012. I think people wanted to be “smart” and not experience shortages.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I bought, lets just say a lot, years ago before the obama ammo crisis when I thought I was really going to get into uspsa every weekend. With only the occasional purchase since, I just this spring ran out.
    NOT a good time to have to resupply.
    For cheap plinking I found cci aluminum cased 9mm at aimsurplus.com for .19 / round, after shipping and tax .22/round. Bought 1000 rounds, 1 day later sold out. They don't even show it in the sold out section of 9mm, like they don't want you to get your hopes up that there will be $10/box ammo anytime soon.

ARRAY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Griffith
    Was at my local gunshop today and the still had some 9mm on the shelves not a lot but still some I believe it was 13 bucks for 50 rounds, and I didnt pay much attention but I think it was range ammo, glad I stocked up on 223 and 5.56 before all this stuff started. Havent been out to shoot since lockdown started dont want to go through a lot just foe fun when it might be needed for something more important.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Think of all the new gun owners with the record current sales. If all of them want to buy a few hundred rounds for stock and then want to get range time I think the supply will only grow tighter for 9mm even past the election. I don't need it but I wish I had stocked up last year when prices were so good but I figured on stability for the next few years until the 2024 election cycle. Shame on me. Ill be practicing with 22 as much as possible as I have more than enough of that.....i think.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm stocked up, I think I'm north of 2000 rounds not including my JHP's, I'm good for a while. LGS's that gouge loose my business, I have no allegiance to someone that tries to take advantage.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Guess it's time to replace the drum with a stick in the KP31. Not hurting for ammo but need to make it last.

Think of all the new gun owners with the record current sales. If all of them want to buy a few hundred rounds for stock and then want to get range time I think the supply will only grow tighter for 9mm even past the election. I don't need it but I wish I had stocked up last year when prices were so good but I figured on stability for the next few years until the 2024 election cycle. Shame on me. Ill be practicing with 22 as much as possible as I have more than enough of that.....i think.

Quite honesty, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of those new owners won't shoot a full box of ammo, if they even shoot any. Most will buy a gun and a box of ammo then stick it in a closet, never to see light of day until they sell it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Are we ready to dispense with the myth that “stick with the common calibers because they’re always available” ? Twice in just 5 years we’ve had this idea soundly and completely refuted. Common calibers mean everyone wants it and are the first to sell out. .22lr, 9mm, and 5.56 go first every time. Meanwhile 10mm, 40sw, .357 , 44mag even 38spl are pretty much available.

But eventually everything sells out which is why reloading and/or stockpiling components or loaded ammo are ultimately the only viable strategy.

I’m glad I learned my lesson the first time, but I feel bad for those new or casual gun owners who haven’t yet grasped the fragility of ammo supply.

Panic ammo shortages as a regular occurrence seem to be a new thing in the Internet age. Did this happen in ‘94 with Rodney King? I wasn’t paying attention as I was just out of high school.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This sums it up nicely. The warehouses were stacked pretty deep and we weathered Covid19 with higher prices but pretty decent inventory. I told people to settle down, summer time would see some normalcy. Now the riots and other politically polarizing events have started right in front of an election. If you need some ammo grab some, I don’t see prices going down until next year so long as the election results allow that to happen.

9mm pricing locally is $269 per 1000 for brass cased ammo. .223 is $429 per 1000. So not cheap but not priced as to be unavailable.

Reloading supplies are tighter now then they were in 2012. I think people wanted to be “smart” and not experience shortages.
    A Democrat victory this fall means ammo shortage for 4 years. If they take POTUS, they’ll take Senate too. A Republican victory means more riots and an ammo shortage for at least 2 years.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    America no longer has any lead mines. America no longer has any commercial smelters. We are fully reliant on foreign supplies, mainly China.

China wants to sell but we obviously don't want to import from them. Even if the ammo producers want to ramp up production to take advantage of the willingness of buyers to part with their cash, they cant without the materials floating on ships out in the Pacific.

If they do 'launder' the material going through other 'friendly' ports to gain access to our purse strings the price can only go up with each port of call. So we are screwed, short term and long term...

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Here we go again! Son and I have been collecting Guns AND ammo for many years. We have enough to last at least till my Great grandchildren start shooting heavy. Then we (probably just my son or my grandchildren) will probably need to cast some bullets - yeah we have 3 lead pots, many pounds of lead -some tin- and molds for almost all calibers, with gas checks, and a heated lubesizer. Currently we have in excess of 30K - 35K loaded rounds and enough primers, powder and bullets to load all - we have several thousand cases but not enough to load all.

The above were ALL purchased in bulk during sales usually when the market was saturated. Many of the old timers here have warned the new shooters about the highs and lows and advised to purchase extra when prices are low. I hope many took that advice. I don't intend to purchase anything until prices are at least back to normal - then I will continue to add to our stock!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Back in 2012 it also went through the roof or was just unavailable. This too shall pass, eventually.

Yup...similar situation...and my thoughts exactly!

We'll see how things go after the election...when Trump is re-elected, I suspect it's possible that, with increased anger, things could become worse???

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I roll my own.
    I have 7500 147gr hollow points stored away, and enough powder, primers, brass, and bullets to make about 3500 more, if needed.
    The price, and scarcity, of 9mm is not a concern of mine.
    I have considerably less (around 750 to 1000 each) of 556/223, 308, 6.5 grendel, 6.5 cm, 300blk, 450bm, and 8x57 stashed away, also.
    With the ability to make up to 1000 of each caliber, quickly, if necessary.
    It might be overkill, but, I will not be caught short handed again, if/when it becomes needed.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Are we ready to dispense with the myth that “stick with the common calibers because they’re always available” ? Twice in just 5 years we’ve had this idea soundly and completely refuted. Common calibers mean everyone wants it and are the first to sell out. .22lr, 9mm, and 5.56 go first every time. Meanwhile 10mm, 40sw, .357 , 44mag even 38spl are pretty much available.

But eventually everything sells out which is why reloading and/or stockpiling components or loaded ammo are ultimately the only viable strategy.

I’m glad I learned my lesson the first time, but I feel bad for those new or casual gun owners who haven’t yet grasped the fragility of ammo supply.

Panic ammo shortages as a regular occurrence seem to be a new thing in the Internet age. Did this happen in ‘94 with Rodney King? I wasn’t paying attention as I was just out of high school.
    I think you are spot on as I had long been adulting by 1994. The internet/ smart phone boom has made buying anything so easy that I, as you, believe it has contributed to over-buying and shortages. It also has contributed to the ease, that those who would demonstrate or riot, can communicate their messages. Another factor is that the amount of gun owners/ shooters has boomed in the years since, especially lately.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    But the common calibers will continue to be produced -- and given priority on the production lines -- exactly because there is a known and high demand for them.
    Also, there's a reason they're common: For the less than specialized, they are useful, convenient and (relatively) inexpensive. That's how they became popular or common calibers or gauges.
    And in another form of "adulting," those of who have been around the block a time or two realized a goodly ways back that a few thousand rounds (or whatever one's preference) of whatever we often shoot ... more in the econo-trainer .22lr IMO -- would be a nice thing to keep on hand.
    So the "fallacy" of the common calibers is ... and it isn't. Kind of a matter of from where one examines the question.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom