• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I did a small recon mission to the LGS, and couple other places for ammo supply(uhm... shortages), and agree with most, its just not getting better. All those theory notes are prolly on buyers minds, and centerfire ammo is appearing as "thin as hens teeth."

Saw the Obama Scare, and natural weather scares, Corona-19, and soon elections,as a boom to sales of guns and ammo.

Luckily, my buying and small storage should suffice till future changing times. 12 ga shotshells, 22LR, and common calibers have basic amounts, but am holding breath to target shoot till supplies are available to re-supply. Range closures, and now reopening vs all new rookie owners not withstanding, also keeping me at will.

I even thought of liquiddate a few duplicates in calibers, but now decided to keep a couple 15rd cap, 9mm handy. Most are very mildly test fired, but dependable. Great EDC, and once gone...long time to ever see again. No thanks. I'm hanging loose till Votes come through. Good luck to you all as well.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    E9E69663-2C33-43D2-8F3D-A98F9C501B8F.jpg Sideways photo sorry, but you get the pic, all they had in 9mm at Cabellas at Hamilton Trace.
    I didn't buy it.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    America no longer has any lead mines. America no longer has any commercial smelters. We are fully reliant on foreign supplies, mainly China.

China wants to sell but we obviously don't want to import from them. Even if the ammo producers want to ramp up production to take advantage of the willingness of buyers to part with their cash, they cant without the materials floating on ships out in the Pacific.

If they do 'launder' the material going through other 'friendly' ports to gain access to our purse strings the price can only go up with each port of call. So we are screwed, short term and long term...

Not true on the lead mines. Not at all.

https://doerun.com/what-we-do/

Missouri still has massive amounts of lead production.

USA is the 3rd largest producer at 346 million tons annually. That's a bunch more than "no longer having any lead mines".

https://www.ila-lead.org/lead-facts/lead-production--statistics

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    America no longer has any lead mines. America no longer has any commercial smelters. We are fully reliant on foreign supplies, mainly China.

China wants to sell but we obviously don't want to import from them. Even if the ammo producers want to ramp up production to take advantage of the willingness of buyers to part with their cash, they cant without the materials floating on ships out in the Pacific.

If they do 'launder' the material going through other 'friendly' ports to gain access to our purse strings the price can only go up with each port of call. So we are screwed, short term and long term...

believe.gif

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Are we ready to dispense with the myth that “stick with the common calibers because they’re always available” ? Twice in just 5 years we’ve had this idea soundly and completely refuted. Common calibers mean everyone wants it and are the first to sell out. .22lr, 9mm, and 5.56 go first every time. Meanwhile 10mm, 40sw, .357 , 44mag even 38spl are pretty much available.

But eventually everything sells out which is why reloading and/or stockpiling components or loaded ammo are ultimately the only viable strategy.

I’m glad I learned my lesson the first time, but I feel bad for those new or casual gun owners who haven’t yet grasped the fragility of ammo supply.

Panic ammo shortages as a regular occurrence seem to be a new thing in the Internet age. Did this happen in ‘94 with Rodney King? I wasn’t paying attention as I was just out of high school.

I will stick with the common calibers because they will always be available when I truly need them. Like in a societal breakdown. Chose whatever you want for peacetime plinking, but if armed conflict ever comes, it ain't 10mm and 6.5 Grendel that will be laying around everywhere. Meanwhile, I've got ample stock on the common calibers. I ain't using it to roll tin cans around on a weekend for giggles. Now is not the time to waste ammo.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I will stick with the common calibers because they will always be available when I truly need them. Like in a societal breakdown. Chose whatever you want for peacetime plinking, but if armed conflict ever comes, it ain't 10mm and 6.5 Grendel that will be laying around everywhere. Meanwhile, I've got ample stock on the common calibers. I ain't using it to roll tin cans around on a weekend for giggles. Now is not the time to waste ammo.

So your argument is that the utter disappearance of 9mm in approaching-bad situations will turn into relative abundance once things get truly bad? Exactly what dynamic of "during societal breakdown" will cause these common calibers to appear?

Don't you think it likely that if people hoard when they are scared, that they hoard MORE when they are MORE scared?

There's simply no replacement for a stockpile. No caliber is common enough that you'll be able to get it in a true crisis. And no caliber is obscure enough that someone won't hoard it when S truly H the F. Bottom line is that when you truly need need ammo, you either have it already or you won't be able to get it--regardless of what caliber it is. People will even hoard the obscure stuff just because they know it's ammo for *something* and might be valuable.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    So your argument is that the utter disappearance of 9mm in approaching-bad situations will turn into relative abundance once things get truly bad? Exactly what dynamic of "during societal breakdown" will cause these common calibers to appear?

Don't you think it likely that if people hoard when they are scared, that they hoard MORE when they are MORE scared?

There's simply no replacement for a stockpile. No caliber is common enough that you'll be able to get it in a true crisis. And no caliber is obscure enough that someone won't hoard it when S truly H the F. Bottom line is that when you truly need need ammo, you either have it already or you won't be able to get it--regardless of what caliber it is. People will even hoard the obscure stuff just because they know it's ammo for *something* and might be valuable.

When I say really need it, I'm talking expending it on zombies. Those zombies will also obviously be armed, and it will likely be with 9mm and 5.56x45. If I win, I get whatever ammo they didn't use.

Maybe we have a different definition of "truly bad." Are you talking "Boo-hoo, I can't go to the range 3 times a week?" I'm talking, "How many looters did you have to shoot today?"

Bottom line is that when you truly need need ammo, you either have it already or you won't be able to get it--regardless of what caliber it is.

Exactly why you should stick with common calibers. EVERYONE will have it. I'm talking about a point where we are way past crying about what is out of stock at SG Ammo.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    All I know is that 9mm may be expensive, but 5.7 x 28 is unobtanium right now! The cheapest I've seen lately is $0.65 per round and nobody has it locally!

judgecrater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    My 9mm with coated lead bullets cost me around 10.5 cents per round. I started reloading way, way back, so my equipment has been amortized many times over. I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of those at the mercy of political whims.

I too reload and have seen this cycle before, therefore I stock up on components when times are good. Seems to be an easy lesson to learn.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    All I know is that 9mm may be expensive, but 5.7 x 28 is unobtanium right now! The cheapest I've seen lately is $0.65 per round and nobody has it locally!

Good thing I found a random box of American Eagle 5.7 in my ammo supply from back when I had a 5.7x28 upper for my M16 and an SBR PS90. Soon, I'll be able to pay off my mortgage with it. :laugh:

On the other hand, my new-to-me gun addiction is so bad, I've got myself looking a buying another PS90 since I already have a box of ammo for it and probably a couple mags kicking around somewhere. :):

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Since I'm working from home like a lot of other folks... Ordered a case of 'fun pops' which required 'Adult Signature'... Shipped Fedex ground... Get an email about 3:15 basically, no one home, delivery attempted, will try tomorrow...

Called Fedex, they said what is the door tag #... No 'door tag', the guy never rang the bell... Garage was open, I'm here, nada... We have cams, no video. What a bunch of crooks.

Oh well... Maybe it was too hot outside or heavy or something. :dunno:

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Since I'm working from home like a lot of other folks... Ordered a case of 'fun pops' which required 'Adult Signature'... Shipped Fedex ground... Get an email about 3:15 basically, no one home, delivery attempted, will try tomorrow...

Called Fedex, they said what is the door tag #... No 'door tag', the guy never rang the bell... Garage was open, I'm here, nada... We have cams, no video. What a bunch of crooks.

Oh well... Maybe it was too hot outside or heavy or something. :dunno:

FedEx SUCKS. In the last week our packages have been in our mailbox (it's across the road and the mail lady was not amused), on our mailbox, at the end of our driveway (busy county road), at the end of the neighbors driveway across the road and finally today 1 box made it to the porch.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    Marion
    FedEx SUCKS. In the last week our packages have been in our mailbox (it's across the road and the mail lady was not amused), on our mailbox, at the end of our driveway (busy county road), at the end of the neighbors driveway across the road and finally today 1 box made it to the porch.

I really hate FedEx. They never knock, and either leave my package just sitting at the door (I'm almost always home during the day), or they'll not knock and leave a tag. I'm literally just a couple feet from my front door so it's impossible for them to knock, even gently, and for me to NOT hear them. UPS is not much better but at least they set the parcel at my door & knock once before they run away!!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I really hate FedEx. They never knock, and either leave my package just sitting at the door (I'm almost always home during the day), or they'll not knock and leave a tag. I'm literally just a couple feet from my front door so it's impossible for them to knock, even gently, and for me to NOT hear them. UPS is not much better but at least they set the parcel at my door & knock once before they run away!!

As I said up thread, FedUP is horrible, never knocks and had not delivered some items, just entered not home.
    My UPS guy is fairly good about waiting for me to get to the door because he knows about my dogs going nuts and me not moving real fast.

Now when it comes to USPS, my normal USPS lady is awesome, the subs not so much. I have a 10 pack of Magpul AR mags arriving today, hope she's working other wise I may get a sub tossing it on the porch from 5+ feet away on video.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...hope she's working other wise I may get a sub tossing it on the porch from 5+ feet away on video.

Like this...

[video=youtube_share;DhG11JZQdak]https://youtu.be/DhG11JZQdak[/video]
    Or like this...

[video=youtube_share;eQoEOf9dp7k]https://youtu.be/eQoEOf9dp7k[/video]

Both were FedEx and their supervisor got all giggly happy when I said I'd send him the videos and they wouldn't be able to deny doing it.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    FedEx arrived about 10am. She didn't look happy. It was 28 lbs and a long walk...

Last week, I found another box sitting next to the mailbox post that had been there about 4 days... Need to watch my tracking better next time...

Carry on. :ingo:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Mission accomplished by my regular USPS lady, rang door bell, waited for me to open my door, told me "Have a good day Mr. IBM, dog biscuits are on the box, told her to have a good and safe day.

WOO HOO, 1 box of 10 windowed Gen3 PMAGS with dust covers included now in my possesion!

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I stopped reloading 9mm a couple of years ago - not worth the time to save a few pennies per round. Looks like that's changed. Got plenty of stuff.

Top Bottom