Hawks, Hatchets, and Axes! Who loves them :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I would like to become a 'hawk/axe nut, but so far have kept myself in check. A couple years ago one of the guys in out training group put on a session about battle axes, swords, pikes, tomahawks and such, why they were designed the way they were for fighting, etc, and it was pretty neat. Ever since I've wanted a light weight bearded war hatchet to tote around.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I just got my first shipment of HB Forge Camp Axes in stock! I've owned one for a years and love it.

11855787_396348373897530_7790412660859447631_n.jpg

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I've always been interested in these, but I don't know why to buy an axe over a hatchet or a hatchet over a hawk.

I am ignorant, frankly.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Miguel honestly it's honestly prefernce and weight. Thats really the main differences. Packability. The rest is semantics honestly lol. I personally prefer as my all around the gransfors small forest axe. Handcrafted stupid sharp and very well made in general. Hiwever a nice hammer poll hawk is a damn fine tool and something all real men should own.

All of that nonsense said honestly a silky saw is 100 times easier and much less energy expended. Also a good bit cheaper lol

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    That may not be true rhino. You did post a picture of a Husqvarna lol. Had it been a sthil I would have agreed.

The one place the axe shines over those tools is ease of maintance and sharpining

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    My husq chainsaw is a beast, eats stale gas improperly mixed and runs... My sthil trimmer is the WORST small engine driven machine I've owned... That said when it comes to cutting chores, my favorite is watching someone else do it.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    hahahaha I guess much like guns and everything else it's all just personal preference. I have a husqavarna and it doesn't cut near as well as my Sthil. My sthil weedeater is a beast also. and I actually like to cut. I hate to load, unload, stack, split and re stack though lol

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Huh. I've run both Stihl and Husky, and liked them both. Certainly do feel, run, and tune differently, but both beat the heck out of an axe.

I never minded splitting by hand, preferring a higher speed 5-lb maul to the slower swinging 8-lb that I kept around for bigger 20"+ stuff, but having a splitter around now, it SURE is more efficient. I can certainly split some stuff by hand faster than an operator on the splitter can, but I can't do it for as many hours, and I can't split large rounds NEARLY as quickly, so we kinda hybridized our splitting operations to maximize what we can do in a few hours.

-Nate

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah I suck at sharpening. Especially chainsaws. When I try to shave with it there is always a problem

I'm worse at it than you are.

Except I've never tried a chain saw.

And I haven't sharpened and axe or hatchet for more than 20 years. I need a hatchet.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'm worse at it than you are.

Except I've never tried a chain saw.

And I haven't sharpened and axe or hatchet for more than 20 years. I need a hatchet.

Careful.... they're "bitey" also. You'll likely draw blood with any fresh from the forge GBA stuff, my hand hatchet from them is surprisingly sharp.

Top Bottom