HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Moved to IN a year ago (thank you dieselrealtor) - lived in ND and all this hub-bub about not allowing HPRs is INSANITY, IMHO. Like many have said it is the person behind the firearm that is the 'problem'. I'm not up on all the regs being proposed, but trying to get up to speed. I have taken my fair, but limited, share of deer with a trusty Stevens .270WIN - not pretty, but it is deadly. I think I read on here that it is not being considered? The .270 is one of the most popular rounds for game ungulates in the US. The biggest issue we had in ND was a lottery for deer tags, and a limited number at that. Moved there in '09 and if you hit the buck lottery you could also buy excess doe tags (total of 128K tags statewide broken down into specific units). The '14 season was down to 42K tags statewide. 3 harsh winters, blue-tongue and increase in coyotes were main culprits. The deer gun season is 16.5 days, if I recall. The gun restriction is it had to be center-fire, .22 and up. A lot of flat, open land - I guess the Indiana woods are what makes HPRs so dangerous??? Sorry, I just don't get it I guess.
    The only benefit I see to not passing the bill is I get to buy a new gun 'cuz the wife wants her some venison this year. Else, I'd love to be able to take my .270 afield. Ordering my Henry Big Boy in .357 this weekend. Thank you to the idiots in Indy!!! (pols seem to be the same everywhere)

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    Welcome to IN.....don't expect any logic to come out of this. But, don't get rid of your .270--you can hunt squirrels with that (or a .50 BMG if you have one), but don't you dare bust out a .30-30 for deer. Now that is a crime of crimes.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    Moved to IN a year ago (thank you dieselrealtor) - lived in ND and all this hub-bub about not allowing HPRs is INSANITY, IMHO. Like many have said it is the person behind the firearm that is the 'problem'. I'm not up on all the regs being proposed, but trying to get up to speed. I have taken my fair, but limited, share of deer with a trusty Stevens .270WIN - not pretty, but it is deadly. I think I read on here that it is not being considered? The .270 is one of the most popular rounds for game ungulates in the US. The biggest issue we had in ND was a lottery for deer tags, and a limited number at that. Moved there in '09 and if you hit the buck lottery you could also buy excess doe tags (total of 128K tags statewide broken down into specific units). The '14 season was down to 42K tags statewide. 3 harsh winters, blue-tongue and increase in coyotes were main culprits. The deer gun season is 16.5 days, if I recall. The gun restriction is it had to be center-fire, .22 and up. A lot of flat, open land - I guess the Indiana woods are what makes HPRs so dangerous??? Sorry, I just don't get it I guess.
    The only benefit I see to not passing the bill is I get to buy a new gun 'cuz the wife wants her some venison this year. Else, I'd love to be able to take my .270 afield. Ordering my Henry Big Boy in .357 this weekend. Thank you to the idiots in Indy!!! (pols seem to be the same everywhere)
    Welcome to IN.....don't expect any logic to come out of this. But, don't get rid of your .270--you can hunt squirrels with that (or a .50 BMG if you have one), but don't you dare bust out a .30-30 for deer. Now that is a crime of crimes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Actually, I believe the 300 Whisper / 300 or 221 Fireball are already legal. They meet the bullet diameter and case length minimum to be legal.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=30&t=284567

So the state is going to drop the 6 mm minimum bullet diameter requirement?

Because the .221 Fireball doesn't make it.

The .300 Whisper is based off the .221 Fireball case, it is NOT a .221 Fireball.

.300-221 Fireball may be another name for 300 whisper..... but I'm not liking the ".300 or .221 Fireball" version of naming, sounds like something the legislators would write ;)

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'll confess--I had to go look up the .221 Fireball. I'd never heard of that one.

I like to shoot squirrels with my Holland and Holland .500 NE double rifle. I do it cause I can. Same reason I like to strap on two AK's when I go to Walmart for milk.

After all, a right not exercised is a right soon lost.

Just kidding, of course. I use a .308 for squirrels. I could never afford a Holland and Holland.

Never heard of the .221 Fireball ?

XP100 was THE squirrel hunter's choice since the 60's.............OK, ground squirrels and not tree types.
    Newbies to guns/handgun hunting........proly all prefer .50 BMG for tree rats.

Thank goodness all those out of state hunters know everything and can enlighten us.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Thank goodness all those out of state hunters know everything and can enlighten us.

It's a labor love. We're fighting an uphill battle but i think we're making some headway. Especially if we can bring Indiana into the modern age (post 1920) where .30-06 is standard medicine for deer. We appreciate your support.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Would this then supercede the old caliber rules or be in addition to those? Meaning, no more .358 wildcats?

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Would this then supercede the old caliber rules or be in addition to those? Meaning, no more .358 wildcats?

From what I can understand, that's not clear. It seems to be listing ONLY the new ones but that seems too ridiculous even for Indiana. There seems to be some debate on it.

Maybe they should just make it so ONLY the .358 Hoosier is allowed. That seems sorta patriotic, in a state-level kinda way.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis

It is in addition to. Our 358's are legal under the pcr rules and new bill does not repeal those rules.

Steve

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    The way I understand it, IF the bill (as it left the Conference Committee last Friday, March 4) becomes law it will just add the 5 cartridges mentioned in the committee deliberations to whatever season the DNR comes up with. Most people I have talked to believe that "new" season would just coincide with the existing firearms season (similar to the way the DNR handled the crossbow season to run at the same times as the archery season). However, we could be wrong. I still cannot find online the exact language of what the Conference Committee approved. Surely this will be online by Monday morning, March 7. Frustrating to wait isn't it?

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The DNR told me that it would be in the firearm season this year. They said that they would NOT create a new season for the new rifles IF it passes.

As far as what the conference members meant? Who knows for sure. I don't think they even know....

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    So we would be able to use a 243, a 300 or a 308...so I guess I could use my 300 H&H mag and my 300 savage, but not a 30tc because it's missing a 0? I don't have a 308win but I'll be good to go with my 308 norma mag...I can use a 243 but my 6mm would earn me a ticket...This is fun! It's like Common Core regulations!

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    So we would be able to use a 243, a 300 or a 308...so I guess I could use my 300 H&H mag and my 300 savage, but not a 30tc because it's missing a 0? I don't have a 308win but I'll be good to go with my 308 norma mag...I can use a 243 but my 6mm would earn me a ticket...This is fun! It's like Common Core regulations!

They will specifically name cartridges, not bullet diameters.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Well that's good - for me. After spending gobs of money I would hate to have a .358 WSSM that I can't use.

The cherry picking of cartridges is ridiculous though.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Yeah, just going .243" and up would have been great, and there will always be people who wish that their favorite round would have been listed, but my advice is to not look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm glad that they are offering what they are, and I feel that they'll offer more after this initial test run.

Top Bottom