HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    What the heck, they skipped many popular big game hunting calibers. I can't see the reasoning behind the few ones they picked but it is progress. Since I own none of the proposed calibers I will use what I hunted with last year. I am not buying another rifle when they will likely expand the legal HPR cartridges in the following year.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    So do we have some cliff notes of this newly approved bill?
    Rifle calibers on private ground only?

HOUSE ENROLLED ACT No. 1231
    AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning natural and cultural resources.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:

SECTION 1. IC 14-22-2-8 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE
    AS A NEW SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE UPON PASSAGE]:
    Sec. 8.
    (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.
    (b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer subject to the following:
    (1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land.
    (2) The rifle must have a barrel length of at least sixteen (16) inches.
    (3) The rifle must be chambered for one (1) of the following cartridges:
    (A) .243.
    (B) .30-30.
    (C) .300.
    (D) .30-06.
    (E) .308.
    (4) A hunter may not possess more than ten (10) cartridges for the rifle while hunting deer under this section.
    (5) The rifle must meet any other requirements established by the department.
    (c) The use of a full metal jacketed bullet to hunt deer is unlawful.
    (d) The department shall report on the impact of the use of rifles to hunt deer under this section to the governor and, in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6, the general assembly before February 15, 2020.
    (e) This section expires June 30, 2020.

SECTION 2. IC 14-22-2-9 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE AS A NEW SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE UPON PASSAGE]:
    Sec. 9.
    (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016.
    (b) Notwithstanding any rule prescribing the minimum length of a handgun cartridge case, a hunter may use a handgun that fires a commercially available bullet of ten (10) millimeters in diameter to hunt deer.
    (c) The use of a handgun described in subsection (b) to hunt deer is subject to the rules:
    (1) requiring that the handgun conform to the requirements of IC 35-47-1-6;
    (2) prescribing the minimum barrel length of the handgun;
    and
    (3) prohibiting the use of full metal jacketed bullets.
    (d) The director shall amend any rule necessary to comply with this section.

SECTION 3. An emergency is declared for this act.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Since two cartridges are listed, it is safe to assume that all five are supposed to be.

Yes, And here's what will happen once it becomes law.
    The Wildlife guys, DNR Law Enforcement and a few other guys/gals will look it over and see the obvious. They will then ask for legal advice and their attorney will tell them that under--- Sec8-(b)-(5) they can add suffixes when they publish their hunting rules for the 2016 season.

Which will be

243Winchester, 30-30WCF or Winchester, 30-06Springfield, 308Winchester and 300Winchester Magnum.

Steve

Last edited:

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maybe I missed it, but does this new law impact the existing rifle cartidge limts (.35+ & >1.80) or replace it? I assume the currently legal rounds (.357, 44 mag, 35 Rem Short, etc..) can still be used and the 5 new "high power" rounds are just in addition?

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    According to a conversation today with an unnamed “inside” source, House Bill 1231 (as passed by both the House and Senate this week) will likely undergo at least one technical correction per proper Indiana General Assembly rules. That technical correction will “nail down” the meaning of the 5 cartridges noted in the bill (.243, .30-30, .300, .30-06, and .308). It is my understanding that the correction will be:

.243 Winchester
    .30-30 Winchester
    .300 Winchester Magnum
    .30-06 Springfield
    .308 Winchester

This technical correction would make the resulting bill (and law, if the Governor signs it) much more easily understood by all concerned, whether they like the bill or not. I do not know if there are any more technical corrections being considered.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    INGO would probably do well to have a sticky or a banner or something citing the approved calibers.

I can see this type of post repeated once a week:

"hey guys, heard about the new rifle change-so im good with my .270 now?"
    "No, only the approved calibers"

"I have a .223 is that good under the new change?"
    "No, thats not one of the approved calibers"

"can i finally use my 7mm for deer this year?"
    "No, not approved"

repeat ad nauseum

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    According to a conversation today with an unnamed “inside” source, House Bill 1231 (as passed by both the House and Senate this week) will likely undergo at least one technical correction per proper Indiana General Assembly rules. That technical correction will “nail down” the meaning of the 5 cartridges noted in the bill (.243, .30-30, .300, .30-06, and .308). It is my understanding that the correction will be:

.243 Winchester
    .30-30 Winchester
    .300 Winchester Magnum
    .30-06 Springfield
    .308 Winchester

This technical correction would make the resulting bill (and law, if the Governor signs it) much more easily understood by all concerned, whether they like the bill or not. I do not know if there are any more technical corrections being considered.

That's a bummer! I was hoping the 300 was 300 BLK. Who needs a 300 WM in Indiana?! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Dinny

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

.243 Winchester
    .30-30 Winchester
    .300 Winchester Magnum
    .30-06 Springfield
    .308 Winchester

Are they going to address the technical issues with Part 2 as well? Since they way it is worded right now would also (technically) allow for .40 S&W ...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I already have a perfectly good PCR legal under the current law (Marlin 1894 .45 Colt), but I am still so pumped at the chance to finally bring my beloved Ruger M77 .30-06 into the woods for the very first time ever this fall.
    The DNR will give input and finally have this bill rectified to include everything from .243 on up, as long as it meets the current 1.16" minimum case length requrement.
    Time for me to take a trip out to my folks' place out in the boonies, where I can put up a target at 300 yards (or even longer if I'm confident) to see what my Ruger can really do.
    ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A Garbers wrote:

Technically there's only two named cartridges listed, the .30-30 and the 30-06. The rest are calibers. I would assume the legislature doesn't write laws in slang. The correct name for a ".243" is .243 Winchester. As we have already discussed I would think any .243/6mm cartridge would fall under .243. The same goes for .308. The correct name is .308 Winchester, so I would think any .308/7.5mm cartridge would be legal. I would think anyone could challenge this law with this interpretation and win.

Technically there's three

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cut n paste didn't work worth a sheite............

but yeah, what else is called a .243 that is common? Not the 6mm Rem, 6BR, .240 Weatherby Mag or whatever else is of 6mm bullet.
    "243" ispretty universal in recognition as ".243 Winchester".

.243 is also the caliber for .243 Winchester, and is 6mm............but remember the 6mm Remington.....in the old days it was the .244 Remington ;)

So we have .30-30, .30-06 and .243 as the more specific calls. Three called out, not two.

.308 is also a cartridge, but could be one of several (.308 Norma Magnum, .308 Win or .308 of some benchrest favor - like .308 Baer).

.308 is also the caliber, for the .30-30win, .30-06Sprng, .308win and .300winmag

Not three of the list being names of caliber, but four on the list being of one caliber.....and one of another :)

Two calibers, 5 cartridges........if they are more specific on .308 and .300.
    Might as well tag all with proper names though.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    INGO would probably do well to have a sticky or a banner or something citing the approved calibers.

I can see this type of post repeated once a week:

"hey guys, heard about the new rifle change-so im good with my .270 now?"
    "No, only the approved calibers"

"I have a .223 is that good under the new change?"
    "No, thats not one of the approved calibers"

"can i finally use my 7mm for deer this year?"
    "No, not approved"

repeat ad nauseum

Wait a minute, now you're implying that Indiana hunters aren't too bright.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Obviously , since this is the good ol' U S of A , we would have to have 30 calibers for indiana's first proper deer RIFLE season. Im not sure why they added my beloved 243 win, but thank god they did! :rockwoot:Anyway, to all the "inbetweeners" caliber wise, hopefully next year, after they see we can be responsible, they will add all the 7mm's and 6.5mm's. THEN the next year they can bring it inline with other rifle states and let yah shoot most of any centerfire rifle rounds. Indiana, we may take twice as long to get their and do it @$$backwards to boot, but eventually we will get their, heh.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Wait a minute, now you're implying that Indiana hunters aren't too bright.

Not at all. But they do have the most difficult and confusing firearms hunting laws of the 50 states, so one can assume that will generate a lot of questions. The only saving grace is that if they've lived in IN long enough, theyre used to wading through baffling inconsistencies.

I still have faith in IN. I know they can eventually get there. It may take twice as long as the other poster said. But, one day, one day IN will catch up to the 20th century. I envision a bold new world where IL doesnt have better firearms laws than us. I have a dream...

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I am far from a legal guy, but they are allowing .40 cal ammo in a pistol, but it also has to be at least 1 1/16 inch long cartridge case. So the 40 S&W and the 10mm are less than 1 1/16 inch long so they would still be illegal. So I guess handgunners have gained nothing? The five rifle rounds picked seems crazy, but heck it is a start I guess. I hunt public land so I really gained nothing from all this.

Top Bottom