• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have long punched the air regarding my idea of allowing tax credits for firearms training classes and gun safes, likely to the point that INGO has suffered eye injuries from rolling so much.

Today it exists in bill form. House Bill 1347. Many thanks to Guy Relford for being such an effective advocate for my idea.

I hope this idea is copied in many states and by the U.S. Congress. Please support HB1347.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    There has been a Bill introduced in the Michigan House that would exempt from sales tax, gun safes, gun locks, ear and eye protection for gun shooting, and other tangible personal property designed to promote the safe use and storage of guns.
    Not sure which one would be better.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have long punched the air regarding my idea of allowing tax credits for firearms training classes and gun safes, likely to the point that INGO has suffered eye injuries from rolling so much.

Today it exists in bill form. House Bill 1347. Many thanks to Guy Relford for being such an effective advocate for my idea.

I hope this idea is copied in many states and by the U.S. Congress. Please support HB1347.

Thank you for raising the flag and I am embarrassed for not spotting this one. I've said before this needs to happen, time to add this to the 2023 Legislative Session thread.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is this retroactive, or do I have to buy another safe? Similar to the college loan handout, it seems that this punishes those of us who did it right wrt safes and training in the first place.
    I'd like an answer to this question as well.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    There has been a Bill introduced in the Michigan House that would exempt from sales tax, gun safes, gun locks, ear and eye protection for gun shooting, and other tangible personal property designed to promote the safe use and storage of guns.
    Not sure which one would be better.
    Can I get a tax exempt for my suppressors for the sake of hearing protection?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is this retroactive, or do I have to buy another safe? Similar to the college loan handout, it seems that this punishes those of us who did it right wrt safes and training in the first place.
    Does it cover private sales? If so I could see some private sales happening as safes get sold and resold back among friends.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Can I get a tax exempt for my suppressors for the sake of hearing protection?
    That is one of the first question that came to my mind, too. We'll see how this legislation progress, Republican sponsor - Democratic majority.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    That is one of the first question that came to my mind, too. We'll see how this legislation progress, Republican sponsor - Democratic majority.
    I said that kinda tongue in cheek. Plus I think this is state legislation not federal. Indiana has republican super majority

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You'd probably only be allowed so many exemptions per calendar year
    I mean it would go like this.

Me: "Hey Nyle, want a free safe?"
    You: "Sure. I'll take it. You want a free safe?"
    Me: "sure."
    A week goes by.
    You: "Want to buy a safe? It retails for $1200. You can have it for $1200"
    Me: "Sure. You want to buy a safe? It retails for $800. You can have it for $800."
    You: "Sure. Its a deal."
    We each gift our safes to the other, and then "buy" them back.

Cash is supposedly exchanged and two receipts are generated showing the transaction. Boom. Two sales that qualify for a tax credit. or maybe the safe is sold for cash twice. (and only the latter receipt is claimed)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It'll start in 2024. No, there is no retroactive credit. Good question on private sales @Cameramonkey .

The bill is only 3 pages long. In comparison the "Fix Nantz v State" bill is incredibly short and 6 pages.

How will it look? I dunno. From what I've seen, less is more.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I mean it would go like this.

Me: "Hey Nyle, want a free safe?"
    You: "Sure. I'll take it. You want a free safe?"
    Me: "sure."
    A week goes by.
    You: "Want to buy a safe? It retails for $1200. You can have it for $1200"
    Me: "Sure. You want to buy a safe? It retails for $800. You can have it for $800."
    You: "Sure. Its a deal."
    We each gift our safes to the other, and then "buy" them back.

Cash is supposedly exchanged and two receipts are generated showing the transaction. Boom. Two sales that qualify for a tax credit. or maybe the safe is sold for cash twice. (and only the latter receipt is claimed)
    Swipe to capture screen...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Swipe to capture screen...
    LOL.

I dont care. I wont be doing anything like that. I'm the type that understands that laws change and sometimes it sucks because somebody gets a perk later because the rules changed. Reminds me of the calls for reparations. Ridiculous.

Besides, I just leave all of my guns laying around the house loaded and unsecured I dont use locks or safes.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I said that kinda tongue in cheek. Plus I think this is state legislation not federal. Indiana has republican super majority
    I kind of figured you were but why not? Eliminating sales tax on suppressors would help go towards paying the federal ransom of $200.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected.
    I cannot allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

This is just the opening shot. When this passes we improve this and bring more (abolition of guns/ammo from sales tax, exempting those who carry from sales tax, mandating training in schools before graduation is permitted, inter alia).

The important aspect is to attack, and stop defending.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I cannot allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

This is just the opening shot. When this passes we improve this and bring more (abolition of guns/ammo from sales tax, exempting those who carry from sales tax, mandating training in schools before graduation is permitted, inter alia).

The important aspect is to attack, and stop defending.
    And don't be "that guy" that is opposed because you won't benefit because you already purchased and therefore "they" will get a benefit you didnt get.

Stop it. Its childish and petty.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And don't be "that guy" that is opposed because you won't benefit because you already purchased and therefore "they" will get a benefit you didnt get.

Stop it. Its childish and petty.
    Yes, but I know Mgderf and that was never his intention, and it was a legit question to boot (something that will need to be answered going forward).

HB1347 is not perfect, but it IS a perfectly good starting point.

Top Bottom