• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Mossberg 500 12 ga with a 18 1/2" cylinder bore barrel fitted with a tritium front sight. Added a surefire light and loaded it with LE #1 buck with the flight control wad. It shoots a 2" pattern at 12 yds. Definitely has to be aimed.

I also believe the stock is too long. Looking at the Magpul.

After some debate I ordered a magpul stock. I also tried shortening an existing full size SpeedFeed solid stock since the new stock was on the way. To my surprise my hacksaw and sanding skills are not to bad! I was debating returning the MagPul to save some coin. The MagPul arrived today and I am impressed. However, I did get a chance to shoot with some MagPul stocks and they were nice but not noticeably different then a traditional youth stock.

My my suggestion is try shortening the existing stock. If you are successful then great! If not no harm, no foul order a MagPul.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm one that also likes the shorter length of pull so I like the Magpul stocks for that. Another thing about the Magpul that you might not notice until you handle one is that the grip area is a bit different than a factory stock. It is a bit more vertical and almost becomes sort of a cross between a normal stock and a pistol grip stock. You may not notice the difference until you handle it a bit. I really like the feel of it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea from what I've been looking at, I'm really starting to favor the shorter stocks. they would be ideal for a HD gun. Haven't had a chance to shoulder one with the magpul stock but they look awesome and everyone that has them seem to speak very highly of them...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well I didn't get the 11-87 or the JM pro, they were literally both sold the day I went up there :xmad:. So I think I may just get a 870 in 20ga that he had up there at a very nice price, its a compact version so I know the wife could use it also without issue so that would be a bonus selling point ;).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I didn't get the 11-87 or the JM pro, they were literally both sold the day I went up there :xmad:. So I think I may just get a 870 in 20ga that he had up there at a very nice price, its a compact version so I know the wife could use it also without issue so that would be a bonus selling point ;).

You really need to at least consider a 12 gauge. I spent 3 days partnered with a 60 year old petite, female attorney who happened to be a very experienced shooter. She ran the 12 gauge like a boss and claimed it beat her up less then a 20 gauge. Keep in mind that a 20 gauge has less recoil but the gun also weighs less. 12 guage reduced power loads may have less recoil then full power 20 guage. It's all about setting the gun up correctly. plus you will have a lot more ammo and parts choices.

I would in no way feel poorly armed with a 20 guage and a load of#3 or #4 buckshot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

A pump will give you "All" of the recoil. An auto loader will not kick as hard.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I could not resist the urge and installed the MagPul furniture tonight.

IMG_0799_zpsh1fd3po8.jpg

But it this is a thread about Home Defense shotguns. I swapped the SpeedFeed 870P forearm and youth stock that was on the above gun and put it on my HD gun. This is the one currently loaded and secured in the ShotLock:

IMG_0798_zpsktmmhr4h.jpg

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Here is my choice a Win 97 with a 20" cylinder barrel. It has served its purpose for me for over 20 years and this one has been in business since 1926.

I don't think the addition of plastic to a 12 ga makes it more lethal or more fit for home protection but thats just my :twocents:

20170322_233029.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Here is my choice a Win 97 with a 20" cylinder barrel. It has served its purpose for me for over 20 years and this one has been in business since 1926.

I don't think the addition of plastic to a 12 ga makes it more lethal or more fit for home protection but thats just my :twocents:

20170322_233029.jpg

i have a matching one. I freakin love it. Took my first deer with it and now it rests in the safe for when its time to teach the next indianasolomcfly to harvest game. I hadnt thought of using it as home defense weapon. I would love to give it a new role, thanks for the idea

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You really need to at least consider a 12 gauge. I spent 3 days partnered with a 60 year old petite, female attorney who happened to be a very experienced shooter. She ran the 12 gauge like a boss and claimed it beat her up less then a 20 gauge. Keep in mind that a 20 gauge has less recoil but the gun also weighs less. 12 guage reduced power loads may have less recoil then full power 20 guage. It's all about setting the gun up correctly. plus you will have a lot more ammo and parts choices.

I would in no way feel poorly armed with a 20 guage and a load of#3 or #4 buckshot.

I already have a semi auto 12, so i think this time Im going to go with a 20. The points you made are noted however and no i wouldn't feel under gunned at all with a 20ga.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I think I may have found some new rounds for my HD shotgun!

[video=youtube_share;2AbT-CgjTgM]http://youtu.be/2AbT-CgjTgM[/video]

While it seems they are designed for shooting hogs I can't help but think how well they would work for HD. Now to figure out a way to get them.
    Dan

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I think I may have found some new rounds for my HD shotgun!

While it seems they are designed for shooting hogs I can't help but think how well they would work for HD. Now to figure out a way to get them.
    Dan

Cool and want. What comes to mind when I watch that video.

Grizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2017
    Indiana
    I've recently purchased a Maverick 88 20gauge that I will be using as my HD shotgun, but right now I feel more comfortable with my XD Mod2.0 .45ACP since I've actually fired it.

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I currently have a Tula 12 hammer gun beside the bed because the kids can't pull the hammers back. I replaced the front bead with a trijicon front sight and the barrels are 181/4" IMG_0186.JPG

Top Bottom