• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I've seen discussions before about how you would handle a home invasion and wanted to see what the general consensus was, and why you feel it is the appropriate thing to do.

I choose to already have one in the chamber...no need to rack one. Sure it sounds cool, and may scare the living crap out of the BG, but that isn't why I have my 12 ga. It is to eliminate the threat, and I see no advantage to rack one to give the BG a warning, and in certain situations, delays my ability to react. Plus, if you were attempting to be in stealth mode, racking your shotgun certainly would make that difficult.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    On both the HD Shotty and my .40 cal both are locked and loaded.

On that I want the tactical advantage. I want as much silence and darkness from my location as possible to not be seen or heard. I have a motion sensor in the hallway that turns on a focused spot light down the hall the second that they enter it. Making it almost impossible to see anything till your eyes adjust, and then it's only down the hallway with darness in the rooms.

Racking the slide on a shotgun just lets the BG or BG's know where you are and that they may have a advantage over you with shotgun vs. pistols. Plus the fact if there are more than one, they may be able to rush you.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Every HD and carry weapon I own has one in the chamber.

I do like when Tackleberry jumps out and racks on in though too bad life isn't a cheesy 80's movie.

HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    Thursday night the kids were in bed asleep. Momma and I had retired to the bedroom. I forgot to bring my Glock upstairs with me. While in bed we heard what sounded like the back door opening and closing. The only weapon available was my AR. The case my AR sits in won't close with the 30rnd mag inserted. So I grabbed the rifle, slammed in the mag in and chambered a round. The bolt slamming was loud. I got 3 steps out of the bedroom door when my son announced from downstairs, "DAD! The dog woke me up to go outside." Had 1 incident a few months earlier where he didn't let me know he was home. I think he learned, and the bolt slamming on the AR let him know I was coming.

Glad it worked out ok.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Any weapon that may save my life someday is always chambered.

Weapon mounted lights get the same kind of "element of surprise" argument as well.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    As far as the Remington 870 goes, the safety is a trigger block only, and does not prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin, or the firing pin from moving forward with sufficient force to strike the primer of a live round, if the gun is struck with enough force to do so. This is why police departments that use the 870 ALWAYS mandate that it is carried in "cruiser ready" condition....which is a fully loaded tube, empty chamber. There have been cases with 870's in which a buttstroke with a loaded chamber caused the firing of a live round.

Good info I did NOT know that, guess this falls into the kid who dropped a gun from a stand and shot himself I would be interested to know if it was an 870.
    My HD is a Mossberg 500, my 870 is a clay and hunting gun I wonder if Mossberg has the same issue.

Both firearms were purpose built for what they do, guess until I find out the 500 will not be chambered.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    JMO. Since the BG wouldn't have given any notice that they were breaking in, I see no reason why they should be given any notice that I'm going to shoot. They know their breaking the law and what may happen, it's a chance they are willing to take.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I will give a warning ....

HD gun always has one in the pipe. The blinding light of a TLR-1 followed by muzzle flash (once the target is identified) will be all the surprise they get.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    All my weapons are loaded, one in the chamber. I remember something I was told a long time ago "An unload gun is just a crappy club".

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Why would I possibly give up a tactical advantage in an HD situation by breaking noise disciple? The lives of my wife and kids are the most important responsibility I have in this world. I will not give warning to some vermin that compromises their safety in my home. As Clint Smith says, "always cheat, always win."

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I always keep one firearm either on my person or in a discreet yet accessible location that is ready to fire. The rest are safely locked away unloaded.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I figure if you are coming in my door/window at 3a.m. to suprise me...well I will just return the favor and we will have one big OL" suprise party. And yes I will do my best to SHELL out PARTY favors to all the newly arrived uninvited guests.
    I feel there is no need to warn an intruder. He knew what he was attempting and all of the ramifications that accompany his actions.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom