• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Uhhh... wait a minute, does this mean old style steel core Norinco 7.62x39 (we used to buy by the pallet because it was less than .10 cents around) could be imported again and come back on the market?

Possibly. Everyone is talking about how we may be able to get 7n6 back with this. I don't know much about the Norinco stuff but I assume it was done away with for a similar reason.

The Norinco stuff was done away with by Executive Order, so it won't be coming back. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems the language in the bill only stops further reclassifications as AP, it doesn't do away with current rulings. We should be getting back import of tracer and incendiary ammo from other countries, since new domestically made tracer and incendiary ammo is 100% OK regardless of caliber (although the incendiary amount in the projectile must be under 1/4 oz to avoid explosives rules). A portion of the BATFE REALLY hates this and they tried a power grab under Obama (re: make tracer and incendiary ammo a regulated explosive regardless of amount)...this was discussed here on INGO at the time. The letter ruling is still out there, but isn't being actively enforced.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    IF the law passes, suppressors will be treated as long guns, ie if you're over 18, and can pass the nics background check you can purchase without the 200 dollar transfer tax,without submitting passport photos/fingerprints and without the 9 month wait for approval, without chief local law enforcement notification

IF suppressors are legal in your state!

so contact your congressional representatives and tell them you are in favor of this (the share act) passing and becoming federal law

Thank you, where as im not currently really interested in silencers, but if they were to be that easily obtainable, I may have to buy one.

Tski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2017
    evansville
    Sent my letter to Rep. Bucshon

encourage everyone else to call or write thier Indiana representatives

Im hoping the Share Act passes as written

Tski

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thank you, where as im not currently really interested in silencers, but if they were to be that easily obtainable, I may have to buy one.

The only thing stopping me from buying a suppressor is the NFA. I don't want to deal with the paperwork and the hassle. Not to mention the fact that I severely lack the patience to pay for something and then wait for months to get to play with it.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The only thing stopping me from buying a suppressor is the NFA. I don't want to deal with the paperwork and the hassle. Not to mention the fact that I severely lack the patience to pay for something and then wait for months to get to play with it.

Me too! The whole delayed gratification things is far less enjoyable than the instant gratification thing that comes with buy now, play now.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Me too! The whole delayed gratification things is far less enjoyable than the instant gratification thing that comes with buy now, play now.

What hassle? The dealer does most of the work, anymore you just need 2 passport pics and to go to the post office. It's more of a PITA to get your carry license (or at least it was for me because I hate driving 20 minutes to town where my local PD is, I'm never in town)

How long have you guys been saying well I want a silencer but the wait sucks? Chances are by now, you could have been long enjoying shooting suppressed if you didn't procrastinate; also plan for it. Buy it in the fall, do most of the waiting in the winter (when it's colder than hell and you don't want to be outside shooting anyway), then get it back in time for spring or summer

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What hassle? The dealer does most of the work, anymore you just need 2 passport pics and to go to the post office. It's more of a PITA to get your carry license (or at least it was for me because I hate driving 20 minutes to town where my local PD is, I'm never in town)

How long have you guys been saying well I want a silencer but the wait sucks? Chances are by now, you could have been long enjoying shooting suppressed if you didn't procrastinate; also plan for it. Buy it in the fall, do most of the waiting in the winter (when it's colder than hell and you don't want to be outside shooting anyway), then get it back in time for spring or summer

The biggest hassle I think he is talking about is the waiting. You have to lay cash out 12-18 months ahead. Its a big hassle to pay for something and be out of pocket for an inordinate amount of time while the object sits on a shelf waiting for your permission slip. So during that time you have neither your cash or your item. Thats a big hassle.

And its different than say a custom ____________ to be built for you. Its one thing to pay for something that doesnt exist and wait for a long time for it to be built and delivered. Its entirely another thing to wait for permission to own something that has already been produced and is just sitting on a shelf with your name on it.

EDIT: While not ideal, I can live with the idea in the legislation of treating it like a firearm. (just a 4473 with no tax stamp)

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It's the cost for me. And, the fact you need a trust to leave it to anyone or give it away. $200 is a pretty stiff penalty/tax for a muffler.

Blood relatives can inherit, form 5 no tax transfer. Trusts come in handy for leaving to non family or having "shared" ownership

The biggest hassle I think he is talking about is the waiting. You have to lay cash out 12-18 months ahead. Its a big hassle to pay for something and be out of pocket for an inordinate amount of time while the object sits on a shelf waiting for your permission slip. So during that time you have neither your cash or your item. Thats a big hassle.

And its different than say a custom ____________ to be built for you. Its one thing to pay for something that doesnt exist and wait for a long time for it to be built and delivered. Its entirely another thing to wait for permission to own something that has already been produced and is just sitting on a shelf with your name on it.

Wait times are dropping, and 41f screwed up a lot of things. 3 Marches ago, using a trust, I had 2 form 4s approved in 2.5 months and lately I've seen one that came back in 7 months. You're out money for a little bit and not being able to shoot your can, I get that, but at the same time it's worth the wait and I know plenty of people who buy a gun then don't get around to shooting it for 6 months too (hell I know people that takes them another 2 months to finally shoot a silencer once they take possession, work, life, other things to do)

It's an inconvenience, but in the time it takes for the stamp to come back you have time to get muzzle devises set up on guns, things threaded, threaded barrels for pistols, get pistons ordered, and be completely set for when you can take possession.

You're out money for your carry license for a time. Passports don't appear overnight.

If you want a can, buy one, and wait like all NFA owners have. If you don't want to wait, after 2,5,8 years and saying the wait is keeping you from buying one, find a different reason cause you've had plenty of time to be enjoying shooting suppressed

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you don't want to wait, after 2,5,8 years and saying the wait is keeping you from buying one, find a different reason cause you've had plenty of time to be enjoying shooting suppressed

Stop attacking my rationalizations of inaction!

Safe space! I call safe space!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Don't forget the two fingerprint cards.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nailed it. And I just don't want to play the .gov's stupid game, nor do I want to pay them $200 for a glorified muffler that makes no sense to regulate. I absolutely refuse to be part of it. So I just don't own a can. I just wear ear muffs when I shoot. NBD to me until they make them non-NFA.

EDIT: While not ideal, I can live with the idea in the legislation of treating it like a firearm. (just a 4473 with no tax stamp)

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

The opporuntiy cost of a suppressor is currently higher than I'm willing to accept. Yep, I could buy one but what else could I have bought with those funds during that time period? You call it procrastinating, I call it a better use of time and funds. If they made it a quick transaction I'd buy more than one, until then I can happily wait. It's a toy and the are other toys I'd like to have as well those don't involve months of waiting.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    For all those complaining about the $200, just imagine how much $$$ that was in 1934. Our great grandparents were wimps to let that happen. Now we're stuck fighting against that unconstitutional act for probably 100 years or more. :xmad:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    For all those complaining about the $200, just imagine how much $$$ that was in 1934. Our great grandparents were wimps to let that happen. Now we're stuck fighting against that unconstitutional act for probably 100 years or more. :xmad:

$200 in 1934 ? 2017 | Inflation Calculator

200 dollars in 1934= 3653.00 today!

I have one "friend" who says he'll only support the hpa if they give everyone the 200.00 tax credit (not just 2015 on) he says "its only fair I paid 200.00 so should everyone"

fyi ive read the current legislation in the share act (hr 3668) and unless I'm missing it the 200 dollar tax credit for suppressors purchased AFTER 2015 has been removed

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Exactly, NFA was MEANT to be cost prohibitive for the average Joe.

And, that's exactly the reason why this must go through.

Just because the tax hasn't been inflation adjusted for 83 years doesn't mean a future administration couldn't raise it to $10,000 with the stoke of a pen.

I can't stand the pissing and moaning of those who are unsupportive of this simply because THEY paid the tax.

It's unprincipled and it's selfish. Shame on them all.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Don't forget the two fingerprint cards.

Anymore they do it at the shops, either with ink or those Silencer Shop kiosks

The opporuntiy cost of a suppressor is currently higher than I'm willing to accept. Yep, I could buy one but what else could I have bought with those funds during that time period? You call it procrastinating, I call it a better use of time and funds. If they made it a quick transaction I'd buy more than one, until then I can happily wait. It's a toy and the are other toys I'd like to have as well those don't involve months of waiting.

That's life, it's all one big opportunity cost. Guns or XXXX. Beer or XXXX. Guns, silencers, optics, knives, etc., 99% of the time they're luxery items that come after the essentials/staples. Silencers are just guns you buy that you can't handle for a while. It comes down to how much you want one, I purchased my first in 2012 and knew exactly what I was getting into with the process, it was an inexpensive 22 can and I'd be out $400 with the tax stamp. I knew about the wait, it never bugged me and I never called the dealer asking if they heard anything (because it's not like dealers get daily updates with all the peoples' info and status). My stamp arrived 12-21-12 and was thrilled and went and got it and I found out how much I enjoy shooting suppressed and ever sold guns that I couldn't put a can on or would be a complete PITA to suppress.

There's always an opportunity cost, you can't know the future, so you don't my luxury items if you're tight on funds, but would say a $200 .22 silencer one month then mail the paperwork off the next month and you're out another $200 really be so bad?

I've paid a ton in obamacare fees that I would have rather seen go to beer, bourbon, guns, or tax stamps

Top Bottom