• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I struggle with this. Can't imagine having the time or coordination to mount and turn on amplified ear pro, with gun in hand, while sorting out the bump in the night. :dunno:

That said, it doesn't hurt anything to have ear pro on hand, in case. Better to have it and not get to it vs finding you have time and wish you did.

I try to keep some EP4's or the like on or near all of my rifles, in case there is time.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You can build a form 1 can for cheap and eforms process fast. It won't be a good all day range can if you go cheap but it will be effective. 300blk subs knock whitetail deer and hogs over at 200 yards, lots of video proof on YouTube vs. the anecdotal speculators on forums. It's going to put serious hurt into an invader at 25 feet. You can get a 300blk pistol setup for 500, 400 for a form 1 can, 200 for a holosun, 150 for a wml. Trust a person who has major hearing loss, that's less than a single quality hearing aid.

Thinking you'll put on hearing protection is unrealistic for vast majority of people. I see experienced shooters fumble basic handling when starting a stage from laying and you know the beep is coming.

Suppressors are the only viable answer to this problem imo.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I still have I think 1 more stamp sitting idle. Built a couple F1 cans and then was waiting to see if the HPA passed.

Once things slow down I will get back into it and build another.

Guess I need to do some research on the .300 BO subs as well.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Planning ahead is always a good idea, but when confronted with a real life scenario and the adrenaline kicks in your well laid plan may go out the window. Has anyone else heard of the acronym "KISS", {keep it simple stupid}

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just to jump into politics, we should have put much much more effort into the hearing protection act while we had the chance. If we ever get the chance again, it should be put on the front burner.

When we had all of congress and the presidency, we wasted too much time on hard to sell stuff like constitutional carry and national reciprocity. We might well be buying our suppressors along with our ammo at Walmart right now, had we made that the priority. :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I have electronic ear pro wrapped around the trigger of the H.D. rifle I would reach for. My pistol, not so much, but the rifle isn't far from that at night either so I'm not worried about it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    For everyone that"keeps ear pro ready" are you single person homes? It's not my hearing i care about as much as my kids and wife's

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I think of ear protection as a need for shooting at the range or where you would shoot 100’s of rounds at one sitting. Having the need to fire a few shots wouldn’t warrant me the extra step.

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    When you are in a high pressure situation such as a gunfight, your adrenaline takes over and you won't even notice the gun shot. I would be more worried about the kids & wife that are asleep. However, I honestly believe that putting a suppressor on your HD weapon is a bad idea. The reason for this is that if 5 people enter my home and I have to try to fight them, I want the gun shots to wake up my entire block. Hopefully one of them will come to help and/or call the police. The perps are also more likely to run if the gun shots are loud instead of suppressed.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My upper came in today from Palmetto State Armory... flawless. 8.5" nitride 4150V CrMo barrel with bolt and charging handle for $288.89 (tax included and shipped free). Still have to install my Trijicon MRO, put my Dead Air muzzle device on and decide to keep the Shockwave Blade or switch to the SB Tactical SBA3 I now have on hand. This is chambered in 300 Blackout.

300blk pistol.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    When you are in a high pressure situation such as a gunfight, your adrenaline takes over and you won't even notice the gun shot. I would be more worried about the kids & wife that are asleep. However, I honestly believe that putting a suppressor on your HD weapon is a bad idea. The reason for this is that if 5 people enter my home and I have to try to fight them, I want the gun shots to wake up my entire block. Hopefully one of them will come to help and/or call the police. The perps are also more likely to run if the gun shots are loud instead of suppressed.

Hearing loss is permanent and irreversible. You may not "notice" but you'll pay for it with a ringing for the rest of your life, so will your kids and wife.

I doubt a gunshot will wake up a neighbor in another house over their tv, fan, or noise machine. Trust me an intruder will hear a 45 or 9 shot with a can.

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    Although hearing protection in a home invasion situation would be ideal to save your hearing, I’m more worried about saving my family and my own life over my ears.

I guess it could be situational like seeing or hearing someone break into your garage or something it may come in handy when you go out guns blazing to see a couple punks crap down there leg. But if someone is in my house I’m grabbin some heat and looking for a fight.

That being said I do have a set of ear plugs in my night stand but for sleeping while working nights so I guess I’m covered either way

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Well I have never thought about hearing protection if needed during a response to a burglar or other issue with the security of the home being threatened. Neither do I believe in lights on my firearm. Now I do have these new ultra bright flashlights that are absolutely painful if shined in your eyes. A momentary flash of that maybe, Or the strobe effect in a room you might not know where the source is for that one.I would prefer that they do not know where I am at. Years ago I was doing a search of a reported burglary in process in a school. Another officer and myself entered the gym. He had a scanner on his belt that he carried. The little lights on it were like a spotlight in that gym. He soon ditched it by turning it off, my idea was not soon enough. I never did think his elevator stopped at all floors. Protocol today might call for lights. But my best tool was remaining quiet, listening and learning where the perp might be at, and if they are looking for me, well it just becomes a hunt at that moment and all the more reason for no lights, thats my two cents anyway. I've been wrong before,

But in a home, you might know where they are at. The threat is if there is more than one. My real point is this, never relax, stay wired tight and a full pucker all the time. Your adrenaline will kick in and give you super senses.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Situations dictate tactics; time, location of family members, size of dwelling, etc.

But in our classes, I recommend having electronic hearing protection with the firearm, flashlight and phone. If the situation allows their use, they will protect against the sound of gunfire course, but the electronic ones will amplify other sound. They may allow you to hear whispering and/or movement you would not hear otherwise.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I have my electronic hearing protection and it does a great job at amplifying small noises. However, they are mono so I feel like the benefit wouldn't be as great.

Top Bottom