• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Just sharing my pain with others who could appreciate it... while i am primarily a bow hunter, I took the muzzle loader out this year for opening week of shotgun since the rutt was slow coming this year. Last week, I shot a beautiful 150-160 class buck at 40 yds but it turned out it was in the corner of the property. Head and tail down, hit right behind the front shoulders, the buck staggered over the property line (maybe 30-40 yrds) and a guy shot him again as he was just about to go down. Got down, started over there and these guys pop up and said...our property - our deer. Sorry about your luck. What a #$*@&#! There wasn't anything I could do...does that suck or what?

I'll get over it but boy does that eat you up when it happens! Apparently, these guys were good enough to harvest their own deer and needed someone else to do the work for them......

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I'll get over it but boy does that eat you up when it happens! Apparently, these guys were good enough to harvest their own deer and needed someone else to do the work for them......

:scratch:

That really sucks for you. They fact they shot an already wounded deer like that :n00b:. Hopefully you get another good one to come in range.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    There is nothing you can do , he is right.(not that I agree) their property their deer
    Even a CO couldnt "go get your deer" unless the property owner was to allow him to.

My advice is dont set up so close to the property line , so when you shoot a deer he dont have a chance to leave the property yopu are hunting.
    I know that spot might be the best deer sign etc. but your just asking for situations like this every time you hunt that spot

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    I hate that. Its late in the season and i havent got a deer yet because they always walk along the wrong side of the property line.

Hope the best for you when you go out again. i would stay away from that property line though. that was low of the other people though. I think its people like that who ruin the reputation for other hunters.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    A shoulder shot will drop them in their tracks. I agree, it pretty much makes the shoulders toast....... but you will have no tracking. It sucks though and I feel for you.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I remember hunting with my dad years ago. We were hunting the corner of a fence row by a decent size woods. Early one morning this kid (maybe 15 yrs old) comes and climbs into a tree not 30 yards from us, on the other side of the fence. I don't think he even knew we were there. He ended up shooting a doe and it jumped onto our side of the fence. It was a bad shot and the doe was limping off. My dad yells to the kid "you want that deer?" The kid said yes, and my dad put her down. We even helped him drag it out. Hunters need to be helping each other rather than being jerks.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I remember hunting with my dad years ago. We were hunting the corner of a fence row by a decent size woods. Early one morning this kid (maybe 15 yrs old) comes and climbs into a tree not 30 yards from us, on the other side of the fence. I don't think he even knew we were there. He ended up shooting a doe and it jumped onto our side of the fence. It was a bad shot and the doe was limping off. My dad yells to the kid "you want that deer?" The kid said yes, and my dad put her down. We even helped him drag it out. Hunters need to be helping each other rather than being jerks.

Now that's a great story!

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    The gospel according to John

Instant Karma's gonna get ya.
    Gonna kick ya right in the head.

They weren't sportsmen enough to harvest it they had to take it.
    Yours will come.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    With all things about sportsmanship, ect. already being discussed on this thread I can only add one thing. I would not be opposed to Hunters Education being required for ANYONE to purchase a license, if I thought issues like this would be covered and It might make people a little more respectful. I took mine 20 years ago, and would not mind having to take it again.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I wouldn't let a guy who hadn't asked in advance to pull his deer off my place either, so I don't blame him. If you are going to hunt the property line, listen to Mike H and break their shoulders.

Deer with broken shoulders won't walk across the line, because they can't.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I wouldn't let a guy who hadn't asked in advance to pull his deer off my place either, so I don't blame him. If you are going to hunt the property line, listen to Mike H and break their shoulders.

Deer with broken shoulders won't walk across the line, because they can't.

A deer with one broken shoulder can still hobble on 3 legs. Seen it happen this year. Also shot a doe with a .44 mag in the shoulder, and she hit the dirt, then got up and ran another 60 or so yards. Guess she could have crossed a property line if I was that close.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks for your kind comments. I am astounded by the the unsportsman like conduct of people these days. If it had happened the other way around, I would have let the guys buck drop, congratulated him and helped him drag it and load it onto his quad. I hear your comments about shoulder shots and property lines, however, I've been laid off this year and I was more meat hunting than rack hunting and I intentionally avoided wasting the shoulder meat and if you had known the terrain, you too would have assumed that the crossing the property line was the least like place for him to go. Either way it happens. I have raised my daughters to be hunters and taught a number of young people the sport of hunting and I have always taught them to respect property lines, the land, the wildlife, the law and other hunters. Clearly, we cannot control the actions of others but we can do what we can to show the character that separates true sportsmen from the others.

Top Bottom