• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Clearly, we cannot control the actions of others but we can do what we can to show the character that separates true sportsmen from the others.

What does your assuming you can retrieve shot deer from neighboring property have to do with sportsmanship?

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Look, when a deer is spaying blood from both lungs, clearly staggering and ready to drop, AND someone just shot it 40 yrds away from you....its not rocket science. Perhaps you're siding with the who claimed a deer he didn't earn because it staggered 120 ft on your side of a line..but personally, that's like being proud of a trophy for a game you never played in...

ylwfever69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Greenwood
    The same thing happened to my buddy but his buck was one the biggest he has ever seen. He wasn't at the corner of our property line but when he shot it (with a Remington copper sabot) he hit a tree limb which caused the bullet not to expand on impact and the deer went across our property line the dick across our property line took it. He said it was so big that when it came through the woods to him the deer was pushing his rack through the tree limbs ( he throught somebody was walking to him dragging there arms through all the tree limbs). It sucks but it happens.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I'm siding with the guy who owns the place deciding who walks around on it, when, and for what purpose. The fate of the deer figures into it in no way at all.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I wouldn't let a guy who hadn't asked in advance to pull his deer off my place either, so I don't blame him. If you are going to hunt the property line, listen to Mike H and break their shoulders.

Deer with broken shoulders won't walk across the line, because they can't.

And why not? Someone shoots a deer and it crosses property lines is not something that is neccesarily planned. Of course property owners should be advised and consent granted, but property owner should be decent enough to allow someone to fetch their kill.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Not news to me but news to you that I wrote shoulders not shoulder.

So quartering toward or away shots are not taken by someone as skilled as yourself, because they would nearly eliminate all possibility to break BOTH shoulders. Also, you must hunt from the ground, because any downward angle could affect that possibility as well. I wish you well on your quest for perfection!!!

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    My very first deer i shot was a nice buck that jumped the property line and another hunter shot it and took it.... nothing I could do about it. I hadn't shot at a buck again till this morning (which has been a few years now). Patience paid off. I got a decent buck today and am very happy (its not a 150 class) but I'm happy with it!

Sorry that happened to ya man. It sucks.

dcary7

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    While you guys are all here together you should form up Fence Sitters United, to fight back against tyrannical landowners.

Who are they to deny you a seat at their table?

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    And why not? Someone shoots a deer and it crosses property lines is not something that is neccesarily planned. Of course property owners should be advised and consent granted, but property owner should be decent enough to allow someone to fetch their kill.

Decent is the key word here, and obviously rare these days.:(

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    It sucks to loose a deer across the fenceline. However, try to take steps that reduce the chances of a deer traveling that far after the shot and maybe you won't be setting yourself up if you have a crappy neighbor. (I have one neighbor who gets mad watching us just sit and hunt on our property, sad man, calls dnr for no reason, dnr officer comes out and shakes his head for neighbor wasting his time, we have nothing to hide so we just grin and bear it)
    1. Don't sit any blinds or treestands within 100 feet of that property line, the farther away you can get, the better.
    2. Sight in your gun every year so you know you can shoot accurately.
    3. Do your property scouting before the hunting season.
    4. Make the fenceline less appealing to the deer, place food plots, trees in the center of your property. We have briar bushes on our fenceline and this spring we have cover bushes ordered to help the neighbor not see us since seeing us enjoy ourselves causes him so much discomfort.
    5. good fences make good neighbors
    6. NEVER go out of your way to agitate neighbors that are such jerks, it just makes loosing a deer worse. And possibly in the future if you continue to behave nicely, even if he doesn't then he may change his mind about letting you have the deer that you shoot.

Top Bottom