• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Going to be making a purchase for !another! folder in a bit, and I'm big on whatever it is being beefy and strong yet easily and quickly opened with one hand. I want a sturdy blade but also one that can pull off EDC and possible defensive uses.

In my mind this means assisted opening, a flipper, or the sort.

Believe it or not, I'm leaning toward the Cold Steel Swift. Assisted opener with the Tri-Ad lock, beefy blade with a good profile for stabbing or slicing made out of CTS-XHP steel. I'd leaned toward ZT, like my 0566, but the Tri-Ad seems to be a more secure lock than ZT's frame or liner lock designs...

Plus the Switft can be had for $120 or so.... Budget isn't really set but I feel like sub-$200 ought to get me what I'm looking for.

Anything else out there that would fit this bill I'd be better off looking at?

Thanks, INGO!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If someone is basing their knife purchase on lock strength (when comparing well made knives), it might be best to just get a fixed blade. Any of the well made knives from Spyderco, ZT, Kershaw, Cold Steel, etc, etc, etc.... will have good lock up. But if you're going to be stabbing and putting tons of pressure on the spine, get the right tool for the job (fixed blade).

OP, if you like the cold steel, go for it. They're good knives unless you're a fancy pants knife snob :p

:popcorn:

Lock wars are coming...

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    If someone is basing their knife purchase on lock strength (when comparing well made knives), it might be best to just get a fixed blade. Any of the well made knives from Spyderco, ZT, Kershaw, Cold Steel, etc, etc, etc.... will have good lock up. But if you're going to be stabbing and putting tons of pressure on the spine, get the right tool for the job (fixed blade).

OP, if you like the cold steel, go for it. They're good knives unless you're a fancy pants knife snob :p

To clarify, I'm not planning on abusive use necessarily, I'm just a Murphy's Law kinda guy, but EDCing a fixed blade is a non-starter for me.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Dean mentioned the waved zt, which I'm sure is awesome, but what about a waved endura. I kinda lost interest in spyderco for years until recently. Now I think my most carried folders are a manix two and a waved endura. My benchmades, zts, and kershaws don't see near the pocket time they used to. I'm not sure why, but I seem to be able to get my spydercos sharper than any of my other knives too. Good luck with your decision. The search is half the fun.

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area
    Spyderco Manix has been alright by me.

The Spyderco Domino would be a similar sized knife but would give you a flipper. Right around $200. Heavy duty could be a little subjective here. The Domino definitely is not an overbuilt knife, but it is a solid titanium frame lock. I carry mine a lot and find it to be a great EDC.

Top Bottom