• danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Cold Steal sucks, I wouldn't give them a dime. Design stealing

Heavy duty one handed opening knives: Zero Tolerance 0301, Zero Tolerance 0561, Hinderer XM-18, Hinderer XM-24, Strider SnG, Strider SMF, Medford Praetorian, Grayman Satu, Grayman Dua.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Cold Steal sucks, I wouldn't give them a dime. Design stealing

Heavy duty one handed opening knives: Zero Tolerance 0301, Zero Tolerance 0561, Hinderer XM-18, Hinderer XM-24, Strider SnG, Strider SMF, Medford Praetorian, Grayman Satu, Grayman Dua.
    Those are all crap. They don't do anything my $15 Gerber Paraframe from Walmart won't do. Y'all are just throwing your money away.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    If you must stake your life on a folder, then look at......COLD STEEL SWIFT II (assisted opener alloy with DLC coating), CHRIS REEVE SEBENZA or (my favorite) the SPARTAN BLADES AKRIBIS. Personally I would not accept anything but a fixed blade. As Ethan Becker once said, "...a folding knife is just a fixed blade that's already broken...".

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Fastest opening folder hands down with a Titanium framelock that if someone can manage to break they deserve a dumbass of the year award lol.

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0630

FTFY.

Owning both a 630 and 620 I'll tell you the wave feature works much more reliable on the 630 than the 620. It has to do with the blade shape I think and the way the back of the blade curves inwards slightly on the 630 that draws the material into the wave. The 620 works fine too but it has less of a ramp on the back of the blade and has to be pulled at a more rearward angle to open reliably. The 630 can be pulled straight upwards and open almost every time. My 620 fails about 70% of the time unless I'm drawing it rearwards quite a bit.

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area

Cant go wrong with any of these. Other than the ZTs and Dua you are probably looking at doubling or more the $200 mark that was set. Medford has the 187 line that comes in at $425 rather than the $600+ for a Praetorian. In a similar price range of these I saw Chaves is doing preorders for another run of 228 midtechs.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Cant go wrong with any of these. Other than the ZTs and Dua you are probably looking at doubling or more the $200 mark that was set. Medford has the 187 line that comes in at $425 rather than the $600+ for a Praetorian. In a similar price range of these I saw Chaves is doing preorders for another run of 228 midtechs.

Honesty Medfords are not really in the category of "open easily" knives even Greg Medford says he designs most of his knives to be opened with two hands.

FTFY.

Owning both a 630 and 620 I'll tell you the wave feature works much more reliable on the 630 than the 620. It has to do with the blade shape I think and the way the back of the blade curves inwards slightly on the 630 that draws the material into the wave. The 620 works fine too but it has less of a ramp on the back of the blade and has to be pulled at a more rearward angle to open reliably. The 630 can be pulled straight upwards and open almost every time. My 620 fails about 70% of the time unless I'm drawing it rearwards quite a bit.

You need more practice with the wave young grasshopper. Emerson no fail you, you fail the Emerson.

Joking aside if you want a fast dependable knife any ZT/Emerson collab should be at the top of the list they are reasonably priced and feature top of the line materials.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You need more practice with the wave young grasshopper. Emerson no fail you, you fail the Emerson.

Joking aside

No. I own half a dozen Emersons all with the wave except the A100. Which has lock issues. And now the two Emerson/ZT collaborations. I know you are kidding but I really have noticed a difference in the effectiveness of the wave feature depending on blade shape or more accurately spine shape. My CQC15 and karambit work great the 630 works just as good the 620 works but I have to draw it rearward. Oh and my Spyderco Endura wave works great too.

So :p

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area
    Honesty Medfords are not really in the category of "open easily" knives even Greg Medford says he designs most of his knives to be opened with two hands.

I agree. One of the 187 models is a flipper though. I haven't flipped it but I get the impression it isn't the fastest flipper out there. I'm sure nothing a little wrist flick wouldn't take care of. There are several knives in this thread that we have mentioned that wouldn't be in my consideration if being very fast opening was my number 1 priority.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I'll throw in another vote for Zero Tolerance. I carry a ZT301 and a ZT350 every day. Both are lightening fast, easy one-hand opening, strong sturdy locks and built for hard-use.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Seriously, the OP wants a nice overbuilt knife that can be easily opened with one hand for around $120 and you recommend a cheap $25 made in China knife?

Kershaw cryo. Mine's been used and abused for several years now. Just can't say enough good things about it.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I like my spyderco tenacious. I also like my kershaw/emerson knife I got from Brad. It's making think very earnestly about picking up an emerson.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    hard to beat the beefiness of a Benchmade Adamas... but it definitely doesn't have the assisted opening that you mentioned.

I open it one-handed often, though.

They do sell an auto version, however.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You should also check out the.....MICROTECH STRIDER SILVER.

Sometimes I wonder about your posts lol, and you mean either the Microtech / Strider DOC or the custom MSG-3? Good luck getting the DOC as they have not been made in a while and the MSG-3 is way over OP's budget.

Top Bottom