• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    ok I did not snopes this but thought it was worth sharing regardless.
    The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid term.

The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into
    Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the
    temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
    0A

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I
    sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd have deducted points for a somewhat incorrect understanding of Boyle's Law. Boyle's Law applies to a fixed temperature and amount of gas, stating that as constant temperature, the product of the pressure and volume is a constant. It's a simplification of the ideal gas law.

Plus, for non-ideal (i.e. real) gases, during an adiabatic expansion, the temperature can either increase or decrease. This is called the Joule-Thomson effect. Not knowing the name of this concept was one of the many reasons I failed an oral qualifying exam when I was trying to get my PhD the last time :D

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    I'd have deducted points for a somewhat incorrect understanding of Boyle's Law. Boyle's Law applies to a fixed temperature and amount of gas, stating that as constant temperature, the product of the pressure and volume is a constant. It's a simplification of the ideal gas law.

Plus, for non-ideal (i.e. real) gases, during an adiabatic expansion, the temperature can either increase or decrease. This is called the Joule-Thomson effect. Not knowing the name of this concept was one of the many reasons I failed an oral qualifying exam when I was trying to get my PhD the last time :D
    I feel like I should kick my own ass for understanding everything you just said.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ouch guys. This is thinking too much. My head has not hurt like this since I took my Engineering Fundamentals exam in prefaration for my Professional Engineering License.

I received staight A's in Chemistry by the way.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I feel like I should kick my own ass for understanding everything you just said.

That's actually the first time I've used the word "adiabatic" since 1992 or so. :D

I just wish you could have had Stinky Bob Steinhauser for a thermo or power plants class.

"Jes** Chr***, fellas! Ya gotta do the g*d da**ed energy balance!"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ouch guys. This is thinking too much. My head has not hurt like this since I took my Engineering Fundamentals exam in prefaration for my Professional Engineering License.

I took the exam and got my EIT in 1987. Regretably, I failed to pursue my PE license when I had the opportunity.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Q=mL

Wouldn't he need to know what the "L" he was talking about to make this determination?

What the "L" these souls brought with them and how they behave in hell would also have an effect. Assuming the went to hell because they like to sin these souls may be expected to find themselve very energetic when packed together in tight quartes.

Yet more imporantly than the energy in hell would be the relative temperature outside of hell. Assuming Heaven is outside and maintanes a relativly comfortable enviroment hell may be either exo or endo as it should never be comfortable relative to heaven.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    wow. Just Wow. You guys are something else, lemme tell ya!

This message from someone with thur edumakation frum thur GeeEmaDee. :D

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    That's actually the first time I've used the word "adiabatic" since 1992 or so. :D

I just wish you could have had Stinky Bob Steinhauser for a thermo or power plants class.

Rhino- Are you a Rose Grad? Steinhauser wasn't there when I went through in the late 90's, but his reputation was still going strong. I did get to enjoy "Lazy Wayne" for a few thermal design classes, and had "Bob Dillan" for Thermo 1.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell

He sounds like a fun prof, makes me wish he was still around.

Lazy Wayne is still going strong, and by that I mean taking full advantage of his tenure.

Top Bottom