• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I reloaded some 9mm ammo last night using 115gr Berry's Bullets, S&B Casings, CCI small pistol primers, and Accurate #7 powder. When I went to the Range today to try them out before I made more, I loaded the rounds into my Ruger P95 mag and none of them ejected properly.

The recipe is 115gr Berrys Bullets RN, with 7gr of Accurate #7. That recipe comes right from the Accurate Powders load data. I measured each bullet and they are within a thousandth of an inch to the 1.130 COL it calls for. I also hand measured each powder load on a scale so I know that the powder is within 1/10th a grain.

There was a little space between the bullet and the brass at the top of the casings, but that is not what was causing the failures to eject, at least I don't think. There were also no signs of stress that I saw. I could drop a round in and pull it back out of the chamber with ease.

the loads were quite accurate though, with very little recoil. I had several 5 shot groups that had holes touching. But after every shot, the bullets either didn't eject at all, or they did not eject all the way and the slide got stuck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    When i first started loading i had the same problem. I also loaded 9mm. I was kind of nervous so i started at the minimum amount and it would not cycle my G19. So i started increasing the powder until i got it to where me and my gun liked it. Make like 5 rounds of a differant powder amount and test them out. Find what you like and reload away! :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    #7 is a fast powder that might not be pushing your slide back all the way..
    in what way is it not ejecting ? not coming out at all? stove pipe ?
    mashing the case in ejection port , with out turning case upwards?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    they hand cycle eject easily, almost effortlessly like any factory round.

I only used the P95, once I saw they were not cycling in that, I was afraid to use my M&P.

The way they are not ejecting is they only come partially out and then jam, or they come partially out then go back in. I think the slide is not coming back all the way.

You guys think I need a tighter crimping dye? Like a Lee Factory crimping die? I have a RCBS 9mm 3 die set now.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like they may be just a tad light for your particular pistol. I'd bump the load up a couple tenths of a grain and see if it fixes the cycling issues.

I don't put much crimp on my 9mm...jus enough to take the flare out and a little more to prevent set beck. By no means am I putting a really heavy crimp on mine.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I...

There was a little space between the bullet and the brass at the top of the casings, ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post pics of this? The way I'm reading it, it comes across like you're belling the case too much and not removing the flare.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Sounds light.

When I develop loads, I first start with pure function testing. I would've suggested bringing 4-5 different loads to the range, probably .2 grain apart.

I would also highly recommend the Lee factory crimp die for auto pistol loads. It's a cheap way to put on a very nice modified taper crimp. Remember, 9mm headspaces on the case mouth, so all you really want to do is de-flare the case mouth and apply taper lower on the case.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Check your crimp first. Crimp should be bullet diameter plus case mouth thickness times two.

7.0 of #7 is at the bottom of the range. After you verify the crimp and if it's still happening, go up a tenth or two.

This would be a case where knowing how fast factory ammo vs your reloads would be helpful.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Guess while I am up at the cigar lounge tomorrow I will have to run to cabelas and get a Lee Factory Crimp Die and increase the powder

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Guess while I am up at the cigar lounge tomorrow I will have to run to cabelas and get a Lee Factory Crimp Die and increase the powder

Try and recrimp your already loaded rounds. YOu should be able to back out you seater plug and screw the die down another half turn or so.

No other change is going to help if you are trying to shoot ammo with the case mouths belled way out.

Top Bottom