• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I would've voted "light charge" as well, but I didn't even think about too much bell. I haven't bothered with a taper crimp on my .45acp and 9mm practice rounds though. Something to think about if I ever have that problem.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    seven grains of powder is a light load???
    wow now i know what powder not to use...I usually use like 4.0 grains of titegroup and that is very mild load.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I don't know if it is the bell, I barely bell the mouth enough to get the bullet in. I would say that the top of the brass doesn't look like it is sealed around the bullet. But, it takes just as much pounding with a bullet puller to get the bullet out of the rounds I made as it does factory rounds.

I think I will buy a Lee Factory Crimp die just in case though.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I don't know if it is the bell, I barely bell the mouth enough to get the bullet in. I would say that the top of the brass doesn't look like it is sealed around the bullet. But, it takes just as much pounding with a bullet puller to get the bullet out of the rounds I made as it does factory rounds.

I think I will buy a Lee Factory Crimp die just in case though.

Yeah, that's not a proper crimp. I'd fix that before spending any extra money. If you're just barely belling, then there shouldn't be any space between the bullet and the brass at the lip. If there is, you're belling too much.

7gr. of AA7 shouldn't have any problem cycling that Ruger. It doubt it's so light that it would barely move the slide if you were getting complete combustion.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    AA#7 is a little on the slow side for your applications. AA#5, TiteGroup, WIN 231 would be better powders. I don't crimp my 9mm at all, I simply close the case mouth enough to make sure it fits in the barrel. If it is .378" to .380" at the case mouth it is plenty. You should not have to depend on a heavy crimp for good reliable ammo in the 9mm. If you have TiteGroup available use that, either way, you need more pressure and velocity to make that slide travel the full stroke.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    AA#7 is a little on the slow side for your applications. AA#5, TiteGroup, WIN 231 would be better powders. I don't crimp my 9mm at all, I simply close the case mouth enough to make sure it fits in the barrel. If it is .378" to .380" at the case mouth it is plenty. You should not have to depend on a heavy crimp for good reliable ammo in the 9mm. If you have TiteGroup available use that, either way, you need more pressure and velocity to make that slide travel the full stroke.

Again, Leo comes through. +1. Pistols are designed to work with a range of commercial loads. Change that formula and be prepared to start tuning the pistol to accomdate the new load.

If your pistol won't cycle your load, either go to a lighter recoil spring or up the load. Kind of basic stuff. Amount of crimp has little to do with it. A Light taper crimp is all that is needed in 9mm, just enough so it goes into the chamber without dragging.

Last edited:

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    I load 9mm and the problems i had were crimping and load with the no ejections, test with other guns, make sure you have good crimp and increase the load a bit to see of that work, i am not familiar with accurate 7 so i can not give opinion in the load, but test different formulas until you feel ok and stick with it.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    updates tomorrow. I bought a Lee 4 Die set with the factory crimp die, and some Titegroup. gonna try out 3 new loads with the Accurate #7 powder and 2 with tite group(a recipe I got from another INGO member)

I can't wait to try out the new loads. The first is 7.6gr of Accurate #7. The second is 8.0gr or Accurate #7. The third is 8.3gr of Accurate #7

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    updates tomorrow. I bought a Lee 4 Die set with the factory crimp die, and some Titegroup. gonna try out 3 new loads with the Accurate #7 powder and 2 with tite group(a recipe I got from another INGO member)

I can't wait to try out the new loads. The first is 7.6gr of Accurate #7. The second is 8.0gr or Accurate #7. The third is 8.3gr of Accurate #7

I'm using Titegroup for my 9mm reloads with great sucess. I have been getting tigther groups compared to factory ammo.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You'll know pretty fast if you are over crimping semi auto ammo. You will start getting a lot of failures to fire with light primer hits. There is always a published specification of the proper case mouth diameter. All you have to do is measure it with a dial indicator or a micrometer. Good Luck with the new loads.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    here are the updates

I made 6 loads

7.6gr Accurate #7 with RCBS 3 die set... 10 rounds
    7.6gr Accurate #7 with Lee 4 die set... 10 rounds

8.00gr Accurate #7 with RCBS 3 die set... 10 rounds
    8.00gr Accurate #7 with Lee 4 die set... 10 rounds

8.3gr Accurate #7 with RCBS 3 die set... 10 rounds
    8.3gr Accurate #7 with Lee 4 die set... 10 rounds

I made 10 rounds of each so I could put 5 rounds through my Ruger P95 and 5 rounds through my M&P9

Here comes the good part.

7.6gr with RCBS dies in the P95... first round FTE, all other rounds perfect
    7.6gr with RCBS dies in the M&P9... all rounds perfect
    7.6gr with Lee dies in the P95... all rounds perfect
    7.6gr with Lee dies in the M&P9... all rounds perfect

8.0gr with RCBS dies in the P95... all rounds perfect
    8.0gr with RCBS dies in the M&P9... all rounds perfect
    8.0gr with Lee dies in the P95... all rounds perfect
    8.0gr with Lee dies in the M&P9... all rounds perfect

8.3gr with RCBS dies in the P95... 1 FTE on the 3rd shot, all others perfect
    8.3gr with RCBS dies in the M&P9... All rounds perfect
    8.3gr with Lee dies in the P95... All rounds perfect
    8.3gr with Lee dies in the M&P9... All rounds perfect

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    either to light or the crimp sucked, but I think mainly it was too light.

You should still consider looking at a faster powder, if for nothing else, the economy. At 8.0 gr of AA#7, you only get 875 rounds per pound of powder. At 4.5 gr of Titegroup (for one), you get 1555 rounds per pound. The other benefit of faster powders is reduced felt recoil.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You should still consider looking at a faster powder, if for nothing else, the economy. At 8.0 gr of AA#7, you only get 875 rounds per pound of powder. At 4.5 gr of Titegroup (for one), you get 1555 rounds per pound. The other benefit of faster powders is reduced felt recoil.

I've gotta get back into handgun reloading. I'm burning an average of 60 grains per round for an average of 115 rounds/lb after loss for spillage and waste.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

I did just buy a pound of Titegroup at Cabelas the other day. But now I am down to just 300 bullets, so I will be needing more bullets soon.

Top Bottom