• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    First off, over the years I've considered carrying and always found a reason why not to, and now I have found a reason why there's no reason that I shouldn't be carrying.

Currently I've got a G19, and it's our bedside buddy. I've thought about carrying it, but the only holster I've got for it is a blackhawk serpa that sticks out quite a bit and even with a shirt over the top of it, it sticks out like a sore thumb. What's a holster that would help me hide that gun?

The other approach I'm considering is to buy a smaller gun that even more conceilable. I've owned a PF9 in the past and I really liked that size. I've also had an xd sub 9mm and it was so big that I never really carried it. With that said that's why I probably wouldn't want to buy a G26 for me, but and I'm looking for a S&W shield locally to buy.

My questions would be where do I even start with a S&W shiled in terms of holsters? I'd love to get a pocket holster that it'd slip into but I don't know who makes a good quality holster for it.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Mr88GT carries a 17L in the same rig and it's far less noticeable than you would think...unless you wear your shirts skin-tight to flaunt your six-pack. ;) THere are times I have to ask to confirm that he is carrying. Worse case the L makes it more likely to stick out below the shirt. But people don't notice when I OC; they certainly don't notice when he CCs it.

I carry a 26 with a 17-round mag (making it the equivalent of a full size EDC except the muzzle doesn't peek out from below the holster) in a Serpa. Although I normally OC, on those times when I want to avoid the hassle (like a quick stop into the bank or with clients that I don't want to scare away), a t-shirt does a pretty decent job of keeping it hidden.

I tried lots of IWB options for the Glock. None were comfortable for me. Of course, the issue is IWB carry not the Glock for the most part. Curves--natural and otherwise--make laying a flat board up against your body and preventing certain movements a little yucky. So I said "screw it" and started flaunting it to advertise my machismo and make the sheeple scared because my ego said I was cooler than a mall ninja.

I will say that the Galco leather the 1911 rides in is comfortable and significantly diminishes "attachment" look the Serpa gives. My 17 came with a paddle version of it. I like it, but the wiggle is too much and retention is so strong drawing became an issue. (In that regard, I love the retention capabilities of the Serpa.)

:twocents:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    So I said "screw it" and started flaunting it to advertise my machismo and make the sheeple scared because my ego said I was cooler than a mall ninja.
    I saw what you did there. ;)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I tried on my serpa with a t shirt and my wife instantly pointed out the gun. I looked in the mirror and it was pretty obvious. I wish it wasn't so because that's a pretty comfortable holster for me. Trust me I don't walk around in muscle shirts showing off how squishy the ole six pack has gotten.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have used my Bladetech UCH for G19 daily for maybe four years. It is about $55 and is very easy to tuck my dress shirts into for carrying at work. It never breaks so I have not tried any of the newer holsters.

Positioned at 4 o'clock tucked nobody has made me. Its even more concealed un-tucked.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Teddy: The issue with the Serpa sticking out isn't the fault of the holster. A buddy of mine can CC a G22 in a Serpa no problem.

The issue is likely the belt. A high quality belt meant for hanging a gun off of will go a LONG way in helping to conceal.

Another issue - one that I struggle with - is that my midsection sticks out more than it should. That means that anything sticking out of my midsection sticks out more than it should. I've been working on that one, too.

-J-

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Congrats on making the decision to carry. If you liked the pf9 you should look at a Walther PPS. I love mine, and I can conceal it under anything. It has a lot of similar features to glocks, with the biggest difference being the trigger-guard magazine release. I have more than 600-700 rounds through my PPS in 9mm and have literally zero gun-related failures.

I use a Phantom holster from Raven Concealment, configured for IWB with offset wings and C-clips. It's worth every penny I paid for it, and I had it custom fit to my gun at the Indy 500 show last year.

I also suggest looking at your belt. The best holster in the world won't work right with a bad belt.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I tried on my serpa with a t shirt and my wife instantly pointed out the gun. I looked in the mirror and it was pretty obvious. I wish it wasn't so because that's a pretty comfortable holster for me. Trust me I don't walk around in muscle shirts showing off how squishy the ole six pack has gotten.

But you both know it's there and what to look for. The average person isn't paying attention anyway, and wouldn't recognize it for what it is.

And +1 for the belt issue. Sloppy floppy is the Serpa without a well cinched supportive belt.

Tauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    I CC with a Glock 19 all the time with a Crossbreed OWB holster, no problems at all.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A quality belt and a good holster are the most important factors IMO. The G19 is a great carry option and can easily be done with the proper setup. Honestly carrying a gun all day every day takes some planning and at first can seem like a chore to many. After you find out what works for you and what is comfortable for you then it is easy as can be.

I have seen many people want to carry, but slowly end up never carrying. I feel that once you make your mind up to carry it is important to do so all the time. I have never understood the I only carry "sometimes" people. You never know when or where something may happen and I prefer to always have it. And how do you choose when to sometimes carry anyway? Can't plan ahead and know when you may need it and if I did not carry and decided that I need a gun today because of where I am going then I would reconsider where I was going!

Truth is it can take a little while with some trial and error to find what works best for you. Most of us have a box full of old holsters that did not work out for us. Main thing is decide how you want to carry: IWB, OWB, OC, CC etc...
    I never leave the house without my handgun and I feel naked without it. I carry everyday and I barely notice it. I did not get there over night though. It took plenty of trial and error and cost some money here and there to try different holsters and whatnot, but I didn't give up and well honestly it probably isn't over as there are always new holsters hitting the market and to this day I still sometimes consider trying something new out if it seems like it might work even better for me.

Stick with it! :ingo:

Top Bottom