• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I like Kershaw, but I thought I'd try and get advice from the experts. I've never really spent more than $20 on a knife, but my budget right now is around $50 for a small EDC. I had in mind partially serrated, flip open, small, thin and lightweight. When I say EDC I don't really mean for defense BTW, just mostly for utility stuff primarily, so it can be pretty small.

I don't really know much of anything about knives. Is there at least a certain type of metal I should seek or avoid? Am I safe to get anything with the Kershaw brand? What other comparable (American made) brands should I consider?

I'm really liking the tanto blades, so this is my favorite right now:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...steel-blade-stainless-steel-handle-olive-drab

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I carry a Kershaw Blur in a plain edge/drop point configuration and really like it. The spring assist is pretty sweet.

Here's a partially serrated tanto version:

Kershaw Tanto Blur: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

EDIT: I should be sleeping, not attempting reading comprehension. While the Blur is awesome, "light and thin" it definitely is not. You're probably on the right track with the Leek. I used to carry a Kershaw Skyline, which was the lightest/thinnest folder if ever seen that was of high enough quality to carry, but it isn't available in Tanto or serrated.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The reason I need a new knife is because my Gerber got all loose and wiggly after using it to pry something open. I want something stronger than that, so I maybe shouldn't make thinness a top priority. Durability is definitely the top priority, so long as it is comfortable to carry every day.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The reason I need a new knife is because my Gerber got all loose and wiggly after using it to pry something open. I want something stronger than that, so I maybe shouldn't make thinness a top priority. Durability is definitely the top priority, so long as it is comfortable to carry every day.

Might be a "wrong tool for the job" type situation.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Make sure the Kershaw says "MADE IN THE USA". They sell some cheap ones that are made in China.

I also carry the Blur and love it. Walmart will clearence it once or twice a year for $50.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I third the blur. Great for the price.

The leek is a great for an edc. And the random task versions have a better tip than the normal balde but still a thin blade.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I only used it to pry open a spaghetti jar lid by breaking the air seal. Shouldn't a $50 knife with a 3" blade be more than strong enough for that?

Not with the point of the blade.

Sounds like a Swiss Army Knife screwdriver is more suited for the job.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think a Leek, whatever version you are considering, is a great choice for an EDC. And, if you like a tanto and serrations, get'em. I've been carrying a knife, of some kind, for over 60 years, and when I got my hands on a Leek I considered it one of the best all around knives I had ever used. Needless to say, I bought it. I may be getting a touch senile, but the Leek has become one of the most purchased and carried knives out there. So, I must have had something going back then.

And keep in mind there is just a truck load of knives out there that most folks would not consider using to pry things up. If you want to do that with your EDC, get a knife that has been designed for that.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Spyderco tenacious :)

Actually, I'm leaning towards Spyderco after some more research. I just don't like how wide they are with that hole. I'm looking for a hard blade and solid locking system if I'm going to spend $50+. Spyderco and Benchmade seem to rule in those areas. Benchmade is just out of my price range.

I also ditched the concept of a tanto, since I really want part serrated, and a serrated tanto reduces the straight knife length to about 1/2" in a 3" (or smaller ideally) blade.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    What has kept me from buying a Spyderco is how many of their knives they ship overseas to be made. While yes it is a good knife I feel the Benchmade is slightly better and I like how they have really focused on having their knives made here in the states (Yes their are still a few made overseas dont flame me on that) but they have over the years actually stopped many of the lines of knives made overseas to make more in the states.

I feel you on the Tanto with the Serration, pointless, either go tanto strait or drop point serrated.

My vote... BENCHMADE GRIPTILLIAN, talk to Brad I bet he can get you this knife in your price range :)
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/551

If you must buy a spyderco stick to this list.
    :: Spyderco Catalog ::

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Spyderco Manix 2 - It is around $70 but it is made in the USA with premium S30V steel (same stuff as CRK, Strider) Backed by Spyderco's outstanding warranty. It is the knife I recommend to everyone looking to get into the higher end knives without breaking the budget. The manix also has one of the smoothest opening and closings of any knife I have ever seen you really just have to hold one.

On the cheaper side the Kershaw Cryo series is a great knife they just released the Cryo II that is much bigger than the original. They Cryo is designed with the help of Rick Hinderer the guy who makes the XM-18's and the ZT 0560. This knife is foreign made if i remember right but it is a frame lock with the Hinderen lock bar stabilizer that prevents hyperextension of the lock bar to maximize lock life and service.

I recommend talking to Brad on these knives he has them at great prices and he will be at the Kokomo gun and Knife show this weekend if you want to see any of these knives to get a feel for them.:twocents:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Okay, definitely the Mini Griptillian Combo is ideal for me, but I absolutely cannot spend more than $70, because I'm using a prepaid credit card (most websites don't allow you to enter more than once card). The closest thing I've found so far is this:

Spyderco C11PSFG Delica4 Folding Knife 2-7/8" VG10 Satin Combo Blade, Foliage Green FRN Handles - KnifeCenterf

I'm starting to dig the hole because it gives a strong spot to put the thumb on when the blade is open, so that kinda negates the width issue.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    SOG Flash 2. I have had it for three years and all that it has needed is a little touch up sharpening. Good blade, easy to grip handle, and very affordable.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Darnit, I was about to get the Spyderco, and found out it is made in Japan. Nothing against Japan, but I want a USA knife. Gawd, this is one of the most complicated purchases ever. Why are there so many knives, and why can't they be made at home?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    What has kept me from buying a Spyderco is how many of their knives they ship overseas to be made. While yes it is a good knife I feel the Benchmade is slightly better and I like how they have really focused on having their knives made here in the states (Yes their are still a few made overseas dont flame me on that) but they have over the years actually stopped many of the lines of knives made overseas to make more in the states.

I feel you on the Tanto with the Serration, pointless, either go tanto strait or drop point serrated.

My vote... BENCHMADE GRIPTILLIAN, talk to Brad I bet he can get you this knife in your price range :)
    551 Griptilian® Product Detail

If you must buy a spyderco stick to this list.
    :: Spyderco Catalog ::

I totally understand wanting to buy products that are made in the USA, but let me explain why Spyderco's high end knives are being made in Taiwan. It is not because of the labor rate, Taiwan's labor rate is very close to the our (USA) labor rate. The reason is because we have lost or have not kept up with the skills that are needed to manufacture complex products/designs. Some of these knife designs require 4 axis cnc machining which we (USA) don't have a lot of that skill here in the states. All of what I'm telling you is straight from Sal's (Owner of Spyderco) mouth when I asked him why Spyderco was manufacturing their high knives in Taiwan. He told me that he would love to keep the manufacturing in the states, but he has trouble finding people with the skill level needed to manufacture Spyderco's product.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Okay, definitely the Mini Griptillian Combo is ideal for me, but I absolutely cannot spend more than $70, because I'm using a prepaid credit card (most websites don't allow you to enter more than once card). The closest thing I've found so far is this:

Spyderco C11PSFG Delica4 Folding Knife 2-7/8" VG10 Satin Combo Blade, Foliage Green FRN Handles - KnifeCenterf

I'm starting to dig the hole because it gives a strong spot to put the thumb on when the blade is open, so that kinda negates the width issue.

FWIW, I've had this knife as an everyday carry for almost 5 years now. Very rugged, good lock. It's been through about everything with no ill effects.

Top Bottom