• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I totally understand wanting to buy products that are made in the USA, but let me explain why Spyderco's high end knives are being made in Taiwan. It is not because of the labor rate, Taiwan's labor rate is very close to the our (USA) labor rate. The reason is because we have lost or have not kept up with the skills that are needed to manufacture complex products/designs. Some of these knife designs require 4 axis cnc machining which we (USA) don't have a lot of that skill here in the states. All of what I'm telling you is straight from Sal's (Owner of Spyderco) mouth when I asked him why Spyderco was manufacturing their high knives in Taiwan. He told me that he would love to keep the manufacturing in the states, but he has trouble finding people with the skill level needed to manufacture Spyderco's product.

Listen to this dude (Bradsknives) he will not lead you astray. I have a Spyderco myself and carry it every day and love it.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've got the Kershaw Cryo and I'm happy with it. It is made in China (although I didn't know that until I got the package in the mail), but I got two of them for $50 and think they are worth that. It's an easy knife to carry every day.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Okay, problem solved (thanks to Brad). Got the Griptillian Mini. Size and weight is perfect. Blade is amazingly sharp. Easily pushes through 8 layers of thick paper, and literally shaved the hair off my arm. Now I've sharpened my knives to the point where it might knock a few hairs off my arm, but this thing shaved my arm smooth as a baby's butt without even trying.

I still have the bug for a Spyderco though.

nightgaunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Rural St Joe County
    Been carrying a Spyderco Manix 2 for over a year now (154CM steel). Sharpens easy and holds a decent edge. Less than $100, can find for $60-$80 if you look. Plus it's made in Golden, CO.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I see you already got it figured out but I want to give a :+1: to Kershaw. I've carried a Tanto Blur for several years. Its awesome, USA made, reasonable price.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Okay, definitely the Mini Griptillian Combo is ideal for me, but I absolutely cannot spend more than $70, because I'm using a prepaid credit card (most websites don't allow you to enter more than once card). The closest thing I've found so far is this:

Spyderco C11PSFG Delica4 Folding Knife 2-7/8" VG10 Satin Combo Blade, Foliage Green FRN Handles - KnifeCenterf

I'm starting to dig the hole because it gives a strong spot to put the thumb on when the blade is open, so that kinda negates the width issue.

I was going to recommend the Delica 4, but I see you've already gotten the Benchmade. Maybe the Delica 4 could be the next blade you get. :)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    There's some Medfords for sale in the "for sale" section if you want to pry something. A lot of production knives like Kershaw and Spyderco are used as cutting tools only, the grinds really aren't the best for prying unless it's very light weight. That being said, I snapped the tip years ago on a Kershaw 1550 T and my friend did the same on his 1550, and I bent the tip on the 1550 I replaced my T with.

You should be able to find a used Emerson A100 for a decent price, over $50 but decent price. That should stand prying. Used ZTs you can sometimes find a good price as well.I try to look for "beefier" blades than a lot of production hollow ground and flat ground if I'm looking to use it for anything other than a slicer

He told me that he would love to keep the manufacturing in the states, but he has trouble finding people with the skill level needed to manufacture Spyderco's product.

What? People in the states have plenty of skillz

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I totally understand wanting to buy products that are made in the USA, but let me explain why Spyderco's high end knives are being made in Taiwan. It is not because of the labor rate, Taiwan's labor rate is very close to the our (USA) labor rate. The reason is because we have lost or have not kept up with the skills that are needed to manufacture complex products/designs. Some of these knife designs require 4 axis cnc machining which we (USA) don't have a lot of that skill here in the states. All of what I'm telling you is straight from Sal's (Owner of Spyderco) mouth when I asked him why Spyderco was manufacturing their high knives in Taiwan. He told me that he would love to keep the manufacturing in the states, but he has trouble finding people with the skill level needed to manufacture Spyderco's product.

Brad,
    Thanks for the feedback, I dont doubt what he said but I know we have 2 CNC four axis mills at my work and we are not even a specialty shop. If he needs he can send some of that business to Indiana and we will put out high quality American Made products for him :) :)

My only reason for BM over Spyderco was I feel they are of similar quality and the BM's are made here in the states.(Again I know not all BM are)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Instead of complaining about all of the foreign made knives people should start shelling out the extra cash for a USA made knife. In order to have more USA produced blades there needs to be a higher demand and because of the price point there is not a lot of demand for a $70 Spyderco made in Golden VS. a $30 Chinese Tenacious. Its a hard truth and on the flip side find me a USA made blade for the price that can come close to the Spyderco Tuff and Domino. And before I get flamed every single one of my knives is USA made just FWI. Also its a mindset I have had so many people tell me that their $20 hardware store special can do exactly what my $400+ Strider can do my response is I will let my grandkids judge that. Rant over:horse:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Instead of complaining about all of the foreign made knives people should start shelling out the extra cash for a USA made knife. In order to have more USA produced blades there needs to be a higher demand and because of the price point there is not a lot of demand for a $70 Spyderco made in Golden VS. a $30 Chinese Tenacious. Its a hard truth and on the flip side find me a USA made blade for the price that can come close to the Spyderco Tuff and Domino. And before I get flamed every single one of my knives is USA made just FWI. Also its a mindset I have had so many people tell me that their $20 hardware store special can do exactly what my $400+ Strider can do my response is I will let my grandkids judge that. Rant over:horse:

Not to knock you, but I RARELY see a $70 US made folder from spyderco. I can buy many non-US made spyderco's vs one US made spyderco. The company is located here. The quality is great. The heat treat is perfection.

I'm all for buying US mfg'd goods, but I also want to get the best bang for my buck. I guess that's why I carry a gun from Austria, and a China made spyderco. Rugged reliability :)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Manix 2 is is either right at 70 or a little over 70 it depends who you buy from. But everyone has their preferences mine are knives are American and guns are either German or American. And keep an eye out some Glocks aren't Austrian anymore some are being made in the USA Georgia to be specific.USA made Glock 19 - YouTube

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Brad,
    Thanks for the feedback, I dont doubt what he said but I know we have 2 CNC four axis mills at my work and we are not even a specialty shop. If he needs he can send some of that business to Indiana and we will put out high quality American Made products for him :) :)

My only reason for BM over Spyderco was I feel they are of similar quality and the BM's are made here in the states.(Again I know not all BM are)

Understood.....my conversation with Spyderco (Sal) was probably 2 to 3 years ago and since then, no doubt that 4 axis and even 6 axis cnc machines are being used more in the states. Also, as of now, all "Benchmade' brand knives are being made in the USA.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Not to knock you, but I RARELY see a $70 US made folder from spyderco. I can buy many non-US made spyderco's vs one US made spyderco. The company is located here. The quality is great. The heat treat is perfection.

I'm all for buying US mfg'd goods, but I also want to get the best bang for my buck. I guess that's why I carry a gun from Austria, and a China made spyderco. Rugged reliability :)

Please understand when you are buying a Spyderco made in China knife, you are getting a 8Cr13MoV steel blade which is no where close in edge performance compared to the Spyderco models being made in Golden CO. Most of the blades coming out of Golden CO. are S30V, CPM154 and 154CM. Just like everything you buy in life, you have different levels of quality, and the price usually reflects that level of quality. Not taking into account the difference in labor rates between China and the USA, the price difference in the USA Spyderco models verses the price of the China made models has a lot to do with the quality of the materials being used......higher quality materials cost more, no matter where you are located in the world.

Note: Please don't take this as a China made bashing session......The China made Spyderco models are a great value for the price point, but they are what they are, a lower end quality knife.

Last edited:

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Understood.....my conversation with Spyderco (Sal) was probably 2 to 3 years ago and since then, no doubt that 4 axis and even 6 axis cnc machines are being used more in the states. Also, as of now, all "Benchmade' brand knives are being made in the USA.

Another Point for BM!! Wahoo!! I knew they were pulling their overseas knives back but I did not know it was a complete pull. Does this include all of the Bone Collector, the Lone Wolf and H&K lines or just the full Blue Black and Gold?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Another Point for BM!! Wahoo!! I knew they were pulling their overseas knives back but I did not know it was a complete pull. Does this include all of the Bone Collector, the Lone Wolf and H&K lines or just the full Blue Black and Gold?

Only applies to the Knives with the Benchmade name (Blue, Black, & Gold) which includes the Bone Collector series, but does not include the Lone Wolf or H&K knives. If you remember a few years ago, Benchmade had their red box series, they were made in China. They quit making the red box series knives a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom