• ...and so much more!
  • awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hello,

I just purchased my first handgun a P220 at the Indy1500. I grew up in a country family where having guns was just what everyone did. I am not new to shooting guns but I am new to owning a handgun. Most of the guns I have used were all revolvers, and shotguns/rifles. I filed last Monday for my handgun permit so it should be in any day. I have gone through the gun safety ringer with my family (partly military) but also gun safety courses in regards to hunting (however it has been years). I then last night watched endless reviews, and videos online about my new gun (I was not aware how famous it was).

All that being said I understand, and know that I am in some stage of novice. That owning a handgun requires lot's of responsibility. I would like to hear any advice people would have on my specific model of new gun, maybe suggestions on a handgun training course, and suggestions or wisdom garnered from years of being hand gun owners that you would kindly gift my direction.

Thanks,
    Matthew

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Type of 220

Aye mine is not an elite, but is an older model. It's in great shape and has the American Style clip ejection, silver over black and is Sig Sauer. I love the look and feel of this gun for sure.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Advice - find someone to run through the basics with you. Some of it may (probably will) be old hat, but you'll learn some new stuff I'm sure.

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Congrats on your new purchase. I do not own a Sig since I am a Glock-person, but I have heard and read nothing but positive feedback on Sig pistols (I am afraid to shoot one for fear of falling in love).

You are probably going to receive a lot of free advice, but it does not sound like you are a true novice. For example, you are asking the right questions. Continue to do your research, and more importantly don't over-reach and do anything stupid.

- Gun safety is obviously rule number one. Google the "four laws", and always follow them (Jeff Cooper will probably convert you to a 1911 guy).
    - The P220 in .45 is an expensive toy to practice with. You might consider purchasing a 226 in 9mm to get really good and save your $, (Not sure if Sig has .22lr conversions, but it would be worth it in the long run if they do).
    - Start shooting targets at 5-7 yards (defensive)..., gain confidence..., then move back.
    - Consider your concealed carry options. You are on the right board to pursue this option.

Good luck, and have fun.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    My only advice is don't be too "macho" to take a training course. Nothing will change your perspective on carrying a handgun everyday like a self defense training course.

Congrats on your new handgun and LTCH!

Welcome to :ingo:

TheGunDen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Shelbyville IN
    You can contact your local police and ask them when the next personal protection class will be held. Our local will hold a course if they get enough people to sign up. Also you can contact the DNR and they as well hold classes on this subject. I have gone thru the basics and it does have alot of useful information.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    1 suggestion if you have the money: go to a professional training course like Front Sight (I've been and loved it) or even just over in Ohio there is TDI which is supposed to be pretty good as well.

1 suggestion if you don't have the money: look into a good handgun training DVD set like Magpull Dynamics Art of the Defensive Handgun (again something I have and love) or another good handgun training dvd.

The class and/or dvd will school you up on the new tactics and suggestions popular in the modern shooting world. I suggest you watch the video/go to the course with an open mind and try EXACTLY what they teach you and then analyze it on your own and do what works best for you once you are home.

JT

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hello,

Thanks for all the advice. I want to join a class very badly. I live in Indianapolis so to find out I should simply call the IMPD?

Thanks,
    Matthew

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Hello,

Thanks for all the advice. I want to join a class very badly. I live in Indianapolis so to find out I should simply call the IMPD?

Thanks,
    Matthew

If you are on the north side, you might check out Indy Gun Safety Home

I have talked to Randy several times, he has a LOT of neat and useful training tools, and he's a good guy.

I'm actually going to talk to him tomorrow.

Top Bottom