Help me choose first hand gun (just for plinking/range fun, 22)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Ah good call on the wrangler -- didn't even know that was a thing. Definetly cheaper than the single six. I've handled a couple single sixes and always just loved how they felt in hand but they aint cheap. If I like the wrangler tho probably won't lose that much on one if I upgrade. Thanks for the suggestion :)

So now I'm at two lol.

As far as a single action, my Ruger Wrangler is fun and was less than $200. You might start there to see if single action revolvers are to your liking. A bit stiffer in controls and I'm sure not as smooth as a Single Six, but a reasonable facsimile to give you an idea.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Yeah the s&w 41s and especially the colt woodsman match targets are probably my favorite looking pistols and by all accounts are amazing shooters, I just can't self justify the $$ -- both just ooze quality. Maybe high standard Victor also, but again I can't justify the $$$

I love my Single Six and my bull barrel Mk ll Ruger. I also have a High Standard but it is a revolver (Sentinel) and I assume you were referencing one of High Standards target autos. If I were to buy another .22 pistol, my first choice would be a S&W 41 followed by a High Standard or Colt target pistol. I'd also consider a S&W .22 M&P.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    What's the argument for the rough riders vs the wranglers?

Jeez, twelve replies in and finally a Rough Rider suggestion, kinda surprised it wasn't at the top of the first page as it deserves to be. Will also add it's worth finding one with the xtra .22 mag cylinder if possible.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Want to say thanks to all who replied.
    More thinking to do but definetly gunna get a cheaper revolver to see if I like it enough before splashing on a single six.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

I was handling a Rough Rider at Shoot Point Blank a while back and it locked up while I was working the hammer.

I know anyone can produce a lemon, but who is Heritage? Ruger is a long-established American icon, and their customer service is top notch.

With the release of the Ruger Wrangler, there is no reason to buy a Rough Rider.

:twocents:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI

I don't know of any argument for either that couldn't/wouldn't elicit an equally as strong opposing opinion. Both are good lower end plinking guns and should be candidates depending upon availability.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My vote would depend on what the HD pistol is.
    Ruger vs Buckmark vs Victory would really come down to how they feel. All of those are quality. I would take a Mark iv over a ii.
    Revolver I would choose Ruger over Heritage, Rugers customer service is fantastic.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I started with a S&W Victory and enjoyed it. My wife got a Ruger Mark VI 22/45 Lite and I enjoy it, especially cleaning it! I have a Browning Buck Mark Medallion and I enjoy shooting it the most.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Yeah the s&w 41s and especially the colt woodsman match targets are probably my favorite looking pistols and by all accounts are amazing shooters, I just can't self justify the $$ -- both just ooze quality. Maybe high standard Victor also, but again I can't justify the $$$

H3FhDKlh.jpg

If cost is no concern they are great, that being said I shoot my MK4

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Thanks for the post -- just amazing looking firearms. I feel the same way about them that I do about the high standards though -- don't even really know where to begin. In the case of the colts though it would be a 1k mistake :(

H3FhDKlh.jpg

If cost is no concern they are great, that being said I shoot my MK4

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I have or have had multiples of all of them besides the sw 41. Victory blows rugers away out of the box. Have enough aftermarket support. For polymer the tx22 is ten times the gun any other make and model if polymer 22 is. Revolvers I have least experience with. I have a wrangler and a rough rider and really like them. If you’re located near greenwood I’d be willing to let your shoot anything I have at point blank to get a feel for what you like

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    I have a Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite and a SW22 Victory.
    SW is about 40oz and the Ruger is about 25oz.
    Both are reliable. The Ruger is easier to take down but the SW22 is pretty easy with one screw to remove the receiver and one screw will remove the barrel.
    The SW is easier to clean since the barrel separates from the receiver giving you better access to both.
    The SW has very bright green fiber optic sights. The Ruger has blacked out rear and a black front. My personal preference is the SW sights.
    The SW has a 3.5lb trigger out of the box and the Ruger has a 6lb.
    The SW was $125 cheaper than the Ruger.
    I would recommend the SW22 Victory.

I agree on the SW Victory. It also has a comfortable feel and weight to it. Shooting it almost feels effortless. I used to have a Ruger SR22, but found the Victory much more enjoyable to shoot, and more accurate as well (for me). Speaking for myself, I am curious to try the Keltec CP33!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I hadn't seen this one mentioned. This is more my speed than the target pistols.

Somebody talk me out of it and save my wallet? :):

[video=youtube;4ClQI6zRZbM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ClQI6zRZbM[/video]

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I have 1-3 and you might consider the Ruger Mk4 if it is your first gun. the Mkii can be hard to breakdown and reassemble compared to the mkiv. The Buckmark is a good gun that is as good as any on the list. I have 4 High Standards. They are all a little finicky about the ammo they each like. I could probably change out some springs, extractors, etc., but as a first gun you want to have fun, not be fiddling all the time. They are great shooters though!

There are some great .22 revolvers that could easily be carried. Also, the Glock 44 might be a consideration. I don't have one, but I have several Glocks and I am sure it is a great gun.

It won't be your last gun!!

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    A nice Smith 617 revolver would fit the bill and is built like a tank.

it will serve you well, and your children, and your children’s children.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Really appreciate the offer on that, it's very generous. I'm up in NWI though :(

I have or have had multiples of all of them besides the sw 41. Victory blows rugers away out of the box. Have enough aftermarket support. For polymer the tx22 is ten times the gun any other make and model if polymer 22 is. Revolvers I have least experience with. I have a wrangler and a rough rider and really like them. If you’re located near greenwood I’d be willing to let your shoot anything I have at point blank to get a feel for what you like

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Hadn't even considered a S&W, didn't know they made 22 chambered revolvers. Will have a look, thanks for the heads-up

A nice Smith 617 revolver would fit the bill and is built like a tank.

it will serve you well, and your children, and your children’s children.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Stopped myself from impulse buying a Good condition, very reasonably priced but missing the mag cylinder new model single six today because of the suggestion in this thread to test drive with a wrangler or rough riders, so thanks to you all -- my pocket book appreciates it. Still hunting around for the right auto target style -- after all the advice still torn between Ruger and the Victory -- everyone above really seems to love the s&w.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Pick the one that feels best in your hand or looks best to your eye...or flip a coin. They'll both shoot better than 99% of us.

Top Bottom