• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So in a nutshell, very hard to extract once fired w/ one BCG and not another?

Honestly, at this point, I'd order a new bolt and get on with life.....
    Odds it's in the carrier are pretty slim so long as key is on solidly.

Bolt alone isn't that expensive and trouble shooting further will probably lead to same end solution (out of spec lugs, etc?)

-rvb

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Recommended that a few pages back ;)

He's already narrowed it down to the BCG. Next step is to either contact the manufacturer and get a complete replacement, or to continue to swap parts to narrow it down to the individual component in the BCG causing the issue.

ok, good, that rules out bad ammo, and probably the poorly cut chamber. You could narrow down further by just swapping bolts, not the carrier....

Suspect if you chamber rounds and try to manually extract (w/o firing), you'll find them to be jammed in there....

-rvb

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Recommended that a few pages back ;)

He's already narrowed it down to the BCG. Next step is to either contact the manufacturer and get a complete replacement, or to continue to swap parts to narrow it down to the individual component in the BCG causing the issue.

IT would be easier just to replace the complete BCG and that's a good fix.
    I'm the type of guy that likes to find out WHICH PART was bad. I like having an extra BCG.. or a couple laying around.
    IF it's been cleaned well it's a start. I've had some ammo that didn't burn 100% and locked up guns before.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I catch an attitude at times as well.
    You got to take your hat off to Capitalism though. Big business has little to no responsibility to idealism.
    That's where freedom of choice comes in. Unless those "selfish companies" gain a monopoly then we can talk about them all we want.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm also a guy who likes to find out the EXACT cause of something...

As said earlier, I DO have a spare bolt somewhere at home. Though I'm not sure if it has the gas rings on it or not. Not that I can't buy and install some.

Again: Thank you to EVERYONE who has opined and offered help.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Another update:

A gracious INGOer (not named TriggerTime) allowed me to swing by yesterday afternoon so he could put eyeballs on things as well.

What "we" (definitely meaning "he") found: Nothing. He mic'd the bolt from the "bad" BCG and compared that to measurements from the "good" BCG. No discernible differences. He DID notice, however, that the width of the extractor on the "bad" bolt wasn't as wide as the one on the "good" one. May not be a big deal - as no fewer than 4 other bolts were also looked at and all of those, as well, had various width extractors as well.

SO: [STRIKE]We[/STRIKE] He may have come to the conclusion that it may somehow be an issue with the chamber/extension of the barrel itself. And that due to tolerance stacking, perhaps a slightly more worn BCG (from the good rifle) is able to get the "bad" rifle to run whereas the new BCG isn't able to accomplish.

I'll be getting in touch with Anderson Mfg today in order to see if I can get something sorted out. I'd HATE to have to disassemble the upper to send the barrel back in. Or even the complete upper. May have to, though...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    so you've removed / re-installed the extractor an ejector? Cleaned the bolt face? brushed out the chamber? honestly, at this point I'd to try it again. You never know, could have been some 'crud' on the bolt face interfering or something.

One other thing I was going to mention the other day but forgot is the extractor, specifically the groove... if biting too hard it might be able to spin the case and pull the brass when not fired, but fired might hold the chamber too tight and keep the bolt from caming over. you could even shoot it w/o the extractor, or swap in one from a bolt that works....

-rvb

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Another update:

A gracious INGOer (not named TriggerTime) allowed me to swing by yesterday afternoon so he could put eyeballs on things as well.

What "we" (definitely meaning "he") found: Nothing. He mic'd the bolt from the "bad" BCG and compared that to measurements from the "good" BCG. No discernible differences. He DID notice, however, that the width of the extractor on the "bad" bolt wasn't as wide as the one on the "good" one. May not be a big deal - as no fewer than 4 other bolts were also looked at and all of those, as well, had various width extractors as well.

SO: [STRIKE]We[/STRIKE] He may have come to the conclusion that it may somehow be an issue with the chamber/extension of the barrel itself. And that due to tolerance stacking, perhaps a slightly more worn BCG (from the good rifle) is able to get the "bad" rifle to run whereas the new BCG isn't able to accomplish.

I'll be getting in touch with Anderson Mfg today in order to see if I can get something sorted out. I'd HATE to have to disassemble the upper to send the barrel back in. Or even the complete upper. May have to, though...

TF... When you going shooting again?
    I have a good working bolt we can disassemble and piece yours back together with until you figure out the issue in the BCG.
    I'll be in Southport ALMOST every day so I can throw it in a zip lock bag and bring it in. Disassemble and install one part at a time OR.. Just the bolt or bcg.
    Shoot me a PM and I'll send you contact info IF you so desire.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Sorry I couldn't meet up with you yesterday but glad you got ahold of Anderson to sort it out. Hopefully they get you up and running again without any expense to you besides lost time on the range and a headache

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I MAY - repeat MAY be able to do some actual testing of this gun on Saturday. Or even Sunday. This would either need someone and their private property or it'll mean heading to either an indoor range or to Atturbury. Neither of those choices is super good as a place to help diagnose an issue.

So - still in progress until I get a chance to shoot the thing again.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I have the Forster 3 gage go/no go/field set and a jig. I'm in Columbus.

If you haven't found them locally by Tuesday evening, PM me as I might be headed to Indy Wednesday.

Or, depending on the weather we could meet up over the weekend and go to the Atterbury shooting complex or the HHRP range at Gnawbone.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have the Forster 3 gage go/no go/field set and a jig. I'm in Columbus.

If you haven't found them locally by Tuesday evening, PM me as I might be headed to Indy Wednesday.

Or, depending on the weather we could meet up over the weekend and go to the Atterbury shooting complex or the HHRP range at Gnawbone.

This Sat MAY actually work for me and trigger-pulling. Takes me a while to arrange range time. :n00b:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Update Update Update:

I called the good folks at US Defense Solutions in Greenwood to see if they had a headspace gauge and/or an ejector installation jig if it was needed. I was told that they did have the gauge and then I stopped listening because I'm not a good listener sometimes. So, I'm not sure what they said about the jig.

Anyhow: I went in last evening about 5:00pm, mentioned that I had called earlier about the headspace gauge, and explained the issue with the rifle.

Once again, the bolt was removed and examined. He was behind the counter so I couldn't tell exactly what he was doing or if/when/how he was utilizing the headspace gauge. I was busy trying to A) convince another customer that his wife had already given him permission to buy a pistol, and B) looking at the shiny ZT knives and Kershaw Launch knives.

The rifle was put back together. He/they wanted to test fire it to see if they could recreate the issue. I handed them a Pmag stoked with the very same ZQI XM855 that I'd previously used.

The rifle was taken to the suite to their test barrel and 5-6-7 shots were heard in quick succession.

Well. Interesting.

The issue did NOT present itself. Which is GREAT news for me. Great but perplexing news.

Only thing I can think that may be why it worked for THEM and not for ME: The repeated handling and disassembly of the BCG and bolt itself MAY have "dislodged" something that had previously been in the way and unseen. Other than that, like I said, I'm perplexed.

Trying to work out a time/place to go shooting later this PM or tomorrow. I want to run another 150-200 rds through it to see if it'll digest it all.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Cool beans!
    I had swapped bolts (but left carriers the same) in my field rifle & SBR.
    Tested out today finally, running two 30 round pmags in each. One steady, the second as quickly as I could fire.
    No issues in either gun. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom