• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I just mean that the beam has a small bright hotspot and very little "spill". If you add the diffuser you get no hot spot. I prefer something in the middle. It is awesome for outdoor use because it has really good distance. But for most of my uses I am not trying to light up things far away. I also wish they had kept the knurling on the body from the L4. While the new design looks cooler, it makes it less grippy and easier to drop.

Just a tip for the LX2 and then back on topic for the search for the best $50 light... Put a split ring on lanyard ring and wrap it with electrical tape (to prevent it from scratching the light). Then just slide your index finger through the ring... Much better than a lanyard.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Yeah, I am really interested to see if this Solarforce is any good.

Check out this review/thread

Review Solarforce L2T - latest in the L2 series

1003141s.jpg

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I'm another one for the Streamlight PT2L......

Absolutely love mine. Small and BRIGHT....plus you get the low,strobe, and high beam features which are nice.

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    MagLite XL100

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQH1EO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/177-2671138-0574250?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=022Y70H6TPFEQCX3FNQG&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B001UAQS32"]Maglite XL100 LED Flashlight[/ame][ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQH1EO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/177-2671138-0574250?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=022Y70H6TPFEQCX3FNQG&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B001UAQS32"], (brighter than my SureFire 6P LED)[/ame]

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Looks like so far the StreamLight is leading. All of the suggestions look good. Im looking forward to ordering. Thanks for the post.

So which one will you order first?

Because trust me if you buy any of those you wont stop there and will want more.
    I carry 3 flashlighits on my person because I cant decide which one to take.
    And yes I have back up lights (2 or 3) to those 3 lights in my bag with extra batteries.
    That's also a two is one and one is none type of thing.
    I know im nuts but im trying to quit. :D

reeceman1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    westside indy
    Take a look at the Light T20-R5. For the brightness and quality you can't beat the price, $49.95 on ebay. 270 lumen strobe is quite the tactical advantage

812homes4u

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Its funny you say that because as I was looking up the streamlights I found a mini light I really liked. I decided that if streamlight got the most votes I was gonna order it too. Got to try and save on shipping..

I also couldn't help myself last night and jumped on UBG's website and ordered a belt and holster. I have been using a cheap walmart belt and decided it was time to upgrade.

So which one will you order first?

Because trust me if you buy any of those you wont stop there and will want more.
    I carry 3 flashlighits on my person because I cant decide which one to take.
    And yes I have back up lights (2 or 3) to those 3 lights in my bag with extra batteries.
    That's also a two is one and one is none type of thing.
    I know im nuts but im trying to quit. :D

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    JetBeam has 4 new lights coming out that are less than $70.00 and up to 650 lumens using a rechargeable 14500 battery.
    The Jetbeam BC40 puts out 830 lumens for $69.00 or less on evil-Bay.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Its funny you say that because as I was looking up the streamlights I found a mini light I really liked. I decided that if streamlight got the most votes I was gonna order it too. Got to try and save on shipping..

I also couldn't help myself last night and jumped on UBG's website and ordered a belt and holster. I have been using a cheap walmart belt and decided it was time to upgrade.

Upgrade, it's too late for you too my friend. :n00b:
    When you start to realize that you can upgrade pretty much everything you own and use on everyday, you start to freak out (if the money doesnt follow like most of us).
    I used to carry cheap $5 knives, I updated for $30-$50 knives, now im starting to look at the $100 knives, and how much better quality they are compared to the $50.
    Same for flashlights.
    You can do that with everthing.When you see how much better the product is when you double the price, you cannot help but imagine what it would be if you double it again.
    Next thing you know you carry a $500 knife, $200 flashlight, $3000 custum gun, designer clothes, and drive a Ferrari. :(
    Then you get money problems, you start to drink, everything goes south ... you get the idea. :)
    In a few years you will wish you kept your $5 flashlight, and you will wish that you still think it's the best flashlight money can buy.
    But before you realize that you will love your knew lights.

b66homie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    N.W.I
    I know that SureFire and Streamlight are the most talked about and appear to be great lights however after countless hours of sifting through information on lights, I decided to purchase an Olight M20S CREE XP-G S2 LED. I wanted a light that was more than just a combat light. The biggest reason I chose it was due to the claimed 600 hours of run time on low (5 lumens). I can't verify that claim because I am still on the first set of batteries.
    There are three brightness settings, 340, 115, and 5 lumens. Another nice feature is the brighness modes are changed by a separate button on the side that makes it easy to change with one hand. I highly recommend this light!

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    So I got my hands on both the Streamlight and the Solarforce I mentioned earlier.

I am really disappointed in the quality of the Streamlight. It is obviously just a generic Chinese light rebranded as a Streamlight. It is about the same quality of a Romisen (compare with this http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-206/Romisen-RC-dsh-F4-II-NW/Detail), which can be had for a fraction of the price. The body is just a plain aluminum tube with no knurling or any machining to give it some grip. The has some "heat sink" fins machined into it. Very similar to many of the cheap no-name Chinese lights on DealExtreme. The tailcap feels like the NiteIze stuff they sell for mini-mags. I have to say, I would not recommend it to a friend. Perhaps if it was about $20 I would, but not for $40.

The Solarforce L2T on the other hand was a very pleasant surprise. The machining on it is really impressive for a Chinese made light. The threads were perfectly clean and smooth. The forward clicky switch has a pretty nice feel to it, however I might consider getting their momentary on/twisty they offer instead just because I don't really trust clickys on Chinese lights to be life or death dependable. The rubber rings are a nice quality rubber (unlike the old Ultrafire C3) that I would imagine will last a long time. The knurling on this light fixes what Solarforce has been missing since day 1. On their regular L2, the knurling is little more than lines cut in the aluminum for looks (like a mini-mag). They do that because they can use thinner stock to make it from and lessen the machining costs. That is NOT THE CASE on this light. The knurling is nice and deep and provides a nice grippy texture. Maybe not as deep and sharp as Surefire knurling, but Surefire's is so deep and sharp that some people even complain about it (not me, I like mine like that).

The Solarforce is significantly larger than the Streamlight because it is the same size as a Surefire 6P. Probably not the best for pocket carry unless you don't mind big things in your pocket. However I think it is waay ahead of the Streamlight Protac in quality. Of course the final quality of the Solarforce also depends on what kind of drop-in you put in it. If you put a $10 no-name Chinese drop-in in it, it will perform as such. If you put a quality drop-in in it, you will have a VERY nice light.

To sum it up, I don't like the Streamlight. I have a lot of very expensive flashlights, so I know what quality looks like. I also have a whole lot of cheap <$30 lights. I don't rate the Streamlight as being worth $10-20 more than most of my cheap lights as the quality is the same. The only difference is they painted the name Streamlight on the side of it... because chances are, it came from the same factory.

In other news, the friend of mine who ordered the Solarforce L2T also ordered a Lighthound branded single AA light. I am very impressed with it. It isn't terribly bright on an alkaline AA (about 100 lumens), but the build quality seems to be good. It comes with a nice strong pocket clip an a forward clicky. If you put a li-ion 14500 in there, it turns into a pocket rocket. However it also gets quite warm running on high with the li-ion. There are 2 versions, a Cree XPG for $20 or a Cree XM-L for $25. He got the XM-L version, but I might buy a few of the XPG versions to give away as gifts. The build quality is about the same as the Streamlight Protac, the body design is MUCH better than the Streamlight Protac, output with a li-ion 14500 is more than the Streamlight, and the price is half.

I am really bummed about that Streamlight. I was really hoping to have found a good flashlight that fills the gap between cheap $20 Chinese lights and expensive $100 and up lights.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I know that SureFire and Streamlight are the most talked about and appear to be great lights however after countless hours of sifting through information on lights, I decided to purchase an Olight M20S CREE XP-G S2 LED. I wanted a light that was more than just a combat light. The biggest reason I chose it was due to the claimed 600 hours of run time on low (5 lumens). I can't verify that claim because I am still on the first set of batteries.
    There are three brightness settings, 340, 115, and 5 lumens. Another nice feature is the brighness modes are changed by a separate button on the side that makes it easy to change with one hand. I highly recommend this light!

I heard this was also on our black Friday sale :):

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    We have all our sale prices up now.

Black Friday

A couple notables that relate to this thread.

1. quark x aa^2 are $52 down from $65. Awesome EDC light that runs on a pair of AA

2. The BC40 Kit for $69. Basically we are throwing in the rechargeable batteries for free.

3. The M20 S2 for $75. Great weapon light normally $95

4. The M20 Hunter Christmas kit. $114.95..... There is like $170 worth of stuff in this kit!

Top Bottom