• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I am not sure where to ask that, I need some help from you guys to find the best kind of self defense weapon(s) for a female cab driver.

She's has no martial art background, a firearm is not an option (:rolleyes: I know, not for now anyway) and she will be possibly working at night in any part of town (Indy).

That leaves me with few options and I would like to have your opinion on that.

She's comfortable carrying pepper spray but that's might be about it, she's a brave woman and I dont think she thinks it can be dangerous (even though she is aware of the risks).
    I guess im more worried for her that she is for herlsef, especially since cab driver is one of the top 10 most dangerous jobs in the US. :n00b:

I would love some help from women too.

Thanks! :yesway: :ingo:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Have her drive around topless. I don't know of anyone who would harm a topless woman ;)
    :D

What about a knife or even a stun gun?

The probem is that I know lots of seek people who would/could harm a cute woman, topless or not.

A knife, im not sure, im not even sure she would be willing to use it even if someone was trying to hurt her.
    Stun guns are jokes for me, they would not stop an attacker unless you are talking about a Taser.Even in this case you just get one shot, so against two or more attackers it's useless.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The probem is that I know lots of seek people who would/could harm a cute woman, topless or not.

A knife, im not sure, im not even sure she would be willing to use it even if someone was trying to hurt her.
    Stun guns are jokes for me, they would not stop an attacker unless you are talking about a Taser.Even in this case you just get one shot, so against two or more attackers it's useless.

So gun, knife, stun gun and taser are out.

How about an expanding baton?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Also, remember that stun guns require a pistol permit in Indiana.

Pepper blaster?

I didnt know that.
    You dont need a permit to carry a lethal weapon like a knife but you need one for a non lethal stun gun? Go figure. :rolleyes:

The pepper blaster looks just like a fancy pepper spray with only two shots. :dunno:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    It sounds to me like it's her mindset that needs work. If she is not serious about defending herself, and she never works with or trains with the tools you provide, how can she be expected to use them in a tense or life threatening situation?

Help her to see the need. When her mind is there, the tools and the skills will follow. Having the the tools without the mindset means that she may not have the will to employ them, or the skills to do it effectively.

starcraftdan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Not alot you can do If your'e back is to someone who is about victimize you, I'd still carry a 22 mag. pocket pistol.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So gun, knife, stun gun and taser are out.

How about an expanding baton?

You will think im really picky but expanding batons require training and practice.And im dont think she's willing to have any of those.

Also it's quite hard to use inside a car, on the open mode anyway.

That's why I dont see many options besides the pepper spray.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It sounds to me like it's her mindset that needs work. If she is not serious about defending herself, and she never works with or trains with the tools you provide, how can she be expected to use them in a tense or life threatening situation?

Help her to see the need. When her mind is there, the tools and the skills will follow. Having the the tools without the mindset means that she may not have the will to employ them, or the skills to do it effectively.

I agree with you and that's a problem.
    Trust me im trying to make her see the need.
    I told her it was a dangerous job and she said "It's ok I will carry pepper spray".And that's it, it's all she needs to feel "armed".

Maybe she's just really brave but even for me, when I carry a firearm, a baton, a knife or other weapons, I always feel like I could add more weapons.You could always upgrade to more guns, more ammo, shotgun, rifles ... etc.

But for her having pepper spray is being armed to the teeth and it's about all she needs. :dunno:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You will think im really picky but expanding batons require training and practice.And im dont think she's willing to have any of those.

It sounds like that nothing else will work then. In all honesty, she should take a self defense class then. Karate, boxing, something like that.

If she's unwilling to even do that, then you should just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Using pepper spray inside a car can disable her, too. While you don't seem to have many options, pepper spray is a two edged sword in an enclosed space.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It sounds like that nothing else will work then. In all honesty, she should take a self defense class then. Karate, boxing, something like that.

If she's unwilling to even do that, then you should just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I guess you are right, im trying my best to protect her and keep her safe but there is not much I can do if she doesnt want to protect herself.

I still want to make her change her mind about a knife, but once again I think it might be more dangerous for her to use a knife if she has not martial art training.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Using pepper spray inside a car can disable her, too. While you don't seem to have many options, pepper spray is a two edged sword in an enclosed space.

Good point, the fogger types wouldnt be bad in this case.
    I used some gel formula in the past, it works well in enclosed space, even outside with little wind it's very hard to get some of the stuff back in your face.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Have you looked into capuchin monkeys? They can be trained to be quite deadly with various weapons. I suffered some serious injuries back in '97 in a rogue capuchin attack.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I suffered some serious injuries back in '97 in a rogue capuchin attack.

Yeah, but that was before the assault capuchin ban of '98. I haven't see anyone packin' a capuchin in years.

As for the cab driver, it sounds like a good pepper spray is your best bet and possibly self defense classes. I'm pretty sure that at least some pepper sprays stream instead of aerosolize. You might want to check on that. She will already be at a disadvantage as the driver.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah, but that was before the assault capuchin ban of '98. I haven't see anyone packin' a capuchin in years.

As for the cab driver, it sounds like a good pepper spray is your best bet and possibly self defense classes. I'm pretty sure that at least some pepper sprays stream instead of aerosolize. You might want to check on that. She will already be at a disadvantage as the driver.

I know, in this situation I guess there is not much you can do anyway, no matter who you are.
    That's just a dangerous job, taking clients you dont know that sit just behind you and that can be armed.
    I mean even if you are a man, you carry a gun and know how to you use it, you practice martial arts and have all the training you can think of ... well if you are driving while a client pulls a knife on your throat there is not much you can do.A gun wouldnt help you especially while you drive with both hands on the wheel. :dunno:

Top Bottom