• ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You guys are going at this all wrong.
    The girl is NOT suppose to go against the "teachers bias" otherwise she will be singled out, graded harder and punished. Its best to "follow the crowd" here and give the teacher want s/he wants. Teach your child the truth and to learn to know when to hide in plain sight.

I think her goal is to actually use facts to show that laws in many countries and the left's claim that we have a bigger problem than the rest of the world isn't accurate. She is kind of known for taking a stand and going against many teachers implied positions on political issues.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Like was stated above, I eschew the phrase “gun violence.” We seldom (or ever) hear of knife violence or ice pick violence. The premise is set up to be misleading. I will be curious if the teacher will give a superior grade to a student who’s work refutes the “more guns more violence” theory if the work is fully supported by verifiable research.

Without comparing and contrasting other socioeconomic differences the subject can’t be fully explored and debated. Items to also be considered should include diversity in ethnicity, immigration policies, proximity to drug exporting nations, and severity of the judicial system when dealing with criminals.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You guys are going at this all wrong.
    The girl is NOT suppose to go against the "teachers bias" otherwise she will be singled out, graded harder and punished. Its best to "follow the crowd" here and give the teacher want s/he wants. Teach your child the truth and to learn to know when to hide in plain sight.

Maybe I'm naive, but isn't the goal of the assignment to be able to study facts, develop a position, and effectively communication that position persuasively? :dunno: If it's about a controversial topic, all the better. I not not going to presuppose the teacher has a bias against guns, much less so that the teacher's grading is influenced by the position the student takes. Maybe I'm naive, or maybe I don't jump to conclusions.

We complain that kids lack critical thinking, but then turn around and say, "no, no - not on this topic."

Furthermore, I find the concept of ignoring what you believe to be the truth and taking up false position to gain social acceptance to be repugnant and cowardly.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wonder what the "gun violence" rate is PER GUN, rather than per capita.

I suspect the US would actually rank very, very low. The vast majority of firearms are not used to commit crimes. The US has over 300 million firearms (handguns, rifles, shotguns). The UK has about 2 million.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    11th grade

Then I would do a a breakdown of the demographics of each of the countries listed, compare their gun murder rates, then break down the gun murder rates in the US by demographic compared to the demographics of those other countries. Going to be hard to get demographic violence rates in those other places.

The end result will be that the USA gun murder rate by when weighted for demographics is the same or lower. And the moral of the paper would be that you cannot compare disparate countries violence statistics because the make up of the countries is different as are the reporting requirements of violence. It is much like trying to compare life expectancy from country to country. That is surprisingly not a simple endeavor as countries report things differently such as "live births".

Then your daughter can expect her C-/D+ grade because her leftist, unionized teacher didn't get the paper she wanted. But your daughter will be put on a list somewhere.

Jmiyake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    Crown point
    Couple of thoughts that I have had on this issue and have debated at length before.
    1. Our countries gun violence statistics are greatly sckewed due to the inclusion of individuals committing suicide by gun. Although the countries listed have stricter gun laws often if you look into the violent crime in general you will see greater instances of violent crime per capita. Additionally in looking specifically at has compulsory military service. In looking at the US gun crime statistics in correlation to the military service since the discontinuation of the draft in 1973 you see dramatic increases in the rates of gun violence. The issue is apparent to me more linked to other socio economic factors which you do not have in these other countries. Primarily the decay of the home environment.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I always like to include the homicide rate of different countries.
    Obviously a country that has few guns in the hands of common people will have a lower rate of death by guns.
    BUT there are many different ways to murder somebody beside using a gun.

And if you add in the fact that the murder rate in the USA is driven by several pockets of violence in various places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Don’t know if your still working on this, but one law we should mirror is how those countries treat suppressors. I think Finland, Germany, and the U.K. All have pretty relaxed laws for suppressors.

It’s still gun control laws, and it’s something we should mirror and adopt in the US. This way you are answering the teachers questions, staying inline with the assignment, but also spinning the narrative a little bit.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is a good credible source for Australia, from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

4510.0 - Recorded Crime - Victims, Australia, 2016

This is also well within normal college guidelines with data from 2016.

Interestingly, while the murder rate decreased by 4% from 2015, the attempted murder rate increased by a whopping 27%!:n00b:
    So, while they're trying harder they're getting worse at it.:facepalm:

The rate of sexual assault increased by 24% since 2011, and increased 5% over the previous year.

She can also check out the CIA's website. They are a good source for basic national information.

Here is an article showing a huge increase in crime statistics for Great Britain. It says that there has been an 18% increase in violent crime over the previous year, including a 20% increase in gun & knife crime and a 26% increase in the homicide rate.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/20/official-figures-show-biggest-rise-crime-in-a-decade

However, this is not a necessarily a credible source for college papers, although the Guardian may(?) be. In all likelihood it is for a high school paper. When I go to the Great Britain Office of National Statistics (which would be 100% credible) I cannot find the same data as the Guardian article quotes. Of course, I didn't spend an hour looking.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom