Help with an RS-232 to Ethernet converter!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's this nugget:
    The WRL with a null modem adapter, may be plugged directly into computers equipped with RS-232 interfaces.

So, yes, it's a DTE.

Can you connect to the bridge with a straight cable? If so, use a straight cable from the weather station to the bridge.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I have a question.

You have a device that is meant to be communicated with via rs232. You have a modem that converts to ethernet. Are you trying to connect your computer to the ethernet port on this modem, and use the provided software to communicate with the device (weather station)?

I'd like to suggest that your software has no idea how to communicate to the station via tcp. If it's looking for a db9 port to communicate with I can see why you are not getting a response. If you use a modem on both ends so your equipment sees the rs232 port it expects on each end. The ethernet link in the middle is invisible, the equipment simply thinks it's connected using a standard cable.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Ok after further head banging on the wall moments and a lot of digging, I find that the USR RS232-24 only use's the tx rx and grnd pins. Nothing else is active on it. Using an ohm meter on the USR to trace pins to the circuit board pretty much confirms this.

I ran across the following article that leads me to believe some subset of what he say's may be used in my case by jumpering pins on the weather stations RS232 port.

nullmode.gif
    Not sure why pic isn't showing, click on it and it will open in another window.

Article:
    A Null Modem is used to connect two DTE's together. This is commonly used as a cheap way to network games or to transfer files between computers using Zmodem Protocol, Xmodem Protocol etc. This can also be used with many Microprocessor Development Systems.

Null Modem Connections
    Figure 1 : Null Modem Wiring Diagram

Above is my preferred method of wiring a Null Modem. It only requires 3 wires (TD, RD & SG) to be wired straight through thus is more cost effective to use with long cable runs. The theory of operation is reasonably easy. The aim is to make to computer think it is talking to a modem rather than another computer. Any data transmitted from the first computer must be received by the second thus TD is connected to RD. The second computer must have the same set-up thus RD is connected to TD. Signal Ground (SG) must also be connected so both grounds are common to each computer.

The Data Terminal Ready is looped back to Data Set Ready and Carrier Detect on both computers. When the Data Terminal Ready is asserted active, then the Data Set Ready and Carrier Detect immediately become active. At this point the computer thinks the Virtual Modem to which it is connected is ready and has detected the carrier of the other modem.

All left to worry about now is the Request to Send and Clear To Send. As both computers communicate together at the same speed, flow control is not needed thus these two lines are also linked together on each computer. When the computer wishes to send data, it asserts the Request to Send high and as it's hooked together with the Clear to Send, It immediately gets a reply that it is ok to send and does so.

Notice that the ring indicator is not connected to anything of each end. This line is only used to tell the computer that there is a ringing signal on the phone line. As we don't have a modem connected to the phone line this is left disconnected.

Thoughts?

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I have a question.

You have a device that is meant to be communicated with via rs232. You have a modem that converts to ethernet. Are you trying to connect your computer to the ethernet port on this modem, and use the provided software to communicate with the device (weather station)?

I'd like to suggest that your software has no idea how to communicate to the station via tcp. If it's looking for a db9 port to communicate with I can see why you are not getting a response. If you use a modem on both ends so your equipment sees the rs232 port it expects on each end. The ethernet link in the middle is invisible, the equipment simply thinks it's connected using a standard cable.

I am working with the developer of the software that I use to enable TCP comms. He has it working for other weather stations, just trying to get mine ironed out.
    And so far, I've been using Putty to manual communicate with the weather station, which use's tcp.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bullet, the ethernet device uses software locally to emulate a serial port and sends the signals via TCP packets to the device, where it converts the bits back to analog. The extender is designed to extend a physical serial port and present it as if you were sitting right there.

I think it sounds like you need a null modem cable.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Bullet, the ethernet device uses software locally to emulate a serial port and sends the signals via TCP packets to the device, where it converts the bits back to analog. The extender is designed to extend a physical serial port and present it as if you were sitting right there.

I think it sounds like you need a null modem cable.

I see, so the device comes with it's own emulate software? I missed that.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    To recap: based on my post #23 above.

Using just pins 2, 3 and 5 on the Weather Stations Serial port DB9 does not work, straight or null doesn't matter.
    Pins 1 & 9 on the weather stations DB9 are not used in any way by the station.

The RS232 to ethernet converter I bought ONLY use's pins 2,3,5 on its DB9. Other pins are not used.

The weather station is expecting handshaking and it's not getting any.

So on the weather station DB9, can I tie pins 4 & 6 together and Pins 7 & 8 and possibly make this work?

And not fry anything in the process?

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Update: Problem solved.

Finally got a hold at someone at TWI that understood what I was trying to accomplish. Tying pins 4 & 6 together at the station on the RS232 DB9 was the solution. So now my $20 TCP server is replacing 85' of serial cable!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I gotta say, this has been a fascinating thread! I wish I'd had something to contribute. :)

Top Bottom