• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colonel Air

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    I am debating on my first hand gun buy. The gun needs to be fun to shoot, can be used in a ccw situation, and is hopefully in a revolver format (but im not completley turned off to the idea of automatics) within the $200-$600 range. No .22 suggestions please, its not apt for a defense situation (in my opinion). Also no age comments please, im young but i currently work in a gun store so i like to think i have a decent amount of knowledge on this stuff.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A K frame sized 38 or 357 magnum with a 4 inch barrel.

If you work in a gun store, what do you recommend to new shooters coming into the shop asking the exact same question?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am debating on my first hand gun buy. The gun needs to be fun to shoot, can be used in a ccw situation, and is hopefully in a revolver format (but im not completley turned off to the idea of automatics) within the $200-$600 range. No .22 suggestions please, its not apt for a defense situation (in my opinion). Also no age comments please, im young but i currently work in a gun store so i like to think i have a decent amount of knowledge on this stuff.

You don't really give us much to go on!
    If you work in a gun shop, it should be pretty easy to figure out what you want.
    If you want a wheel gun, you can't go wrong with a sp-101!

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    My advice is to always go by what you feel. Since you you work in a gun shop, I'm sure you could go around and try the different guns for what feels good and natural in your hand. Once you've narrowed it down to a few that feel right, try to find some people you know that own those guns and would be willing to let you put a couple rounds through them. After that, you should know which gun both feels right in your hand and when you pull the trigger. Since you're talking about personal defense, having a gun that feels like an extension of your own body is the most important thing to look for.

Colonel Air

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    A K frame sized 38 or 357 magnum with a 4 inch barrel.

If you work in a gun store, what do you recommend to new shooters coming into the shop asking the exact same question?

Im a big fan of the Ruger LCR in 38 special. I dont reccomend getting the one in .357 magnum, the guns too small and will kick so much that it makes an accurate follow up shot very difficult. If you do get it i strongly reccomend getting some type of upgraded sights for it, while shooting it i couldnt hit anything past 4 yards (im hitting at 30 yards at a man sized target with some tritium sights). Its got more kick than a .22 so be prepared if its your first gun you've shot, and once you practice enough with it you can load up some +Ps for self defense.

If your more into automatics you cant go wrong with a Walther PPQ, A Steyr M40 or Steyr M9 (not to be confused with the Berreta M9), or ANY model of Glock. The Sig P229 is also a great gun, as is the P232 (beware of heavy trigger pull).

piper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    After being around quality weapons all my life and at my job it has shown me one very important thing, buy whatever is comfortable and works best with the shooter. I would suggest trying a Glock 27 or 30/36 if you decide to try something other than a revolver.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Just chiming in here, you said "I am young." How young? You have to be 21 to buy a handgun in Indiana from a retail environment. Just don't want you to get all head over heels, and get shat on by the government.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    A Smith and Wesson 65 (.357) or 64 (38 special) , K-frame, with a 3" barrel is just about the perfect carry revolver in my opinion. They are small enough to conceal easily, but have a long enough sight radius and barrel length to make them very accurate. Also, they have the legendary S&W trigger pull.

65c.jpg

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Im a big fan of the Ruger LCR in 38 special. I dont reccomend getting the one in .357 magnum, the guns too small and will kick so much that it makes an accurate follow up shot very difficult. If you do get it i strongly reccomend getting some type of upgraded sights for it, while shooting it i couldnt hit anything past 4 yards (im hitting at 30 yards at a man sized target with some tritium sights). Its got more kick than a .22 so be prepared if its your first gun you've shot, and once you practice enough with it you can load up some +Ps for self defense.

If your more into automatics you cant go wrong with a Walther PPQ, A Steyr M40 or Steyr M9 (not to be confused with the Berreta M9), or ANY model of Glock. The Sig P229 is also a great gun, as is the P232 (beware of heavy trigger pull).

I may be confused but you are the one that asked for suggestions in the first place, right? I think you have already sold yourself.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    If you want a revolver for CC, I'd suggest a S&W J frame with the 2" barrel. Revolvers tend to be harder to CC, and depending on your body style, may stick out more than you want. In the end, though, go with what you are able to fire accurately.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    How about a walther p99? Or if you wanted a good revolver for around $300 an EAA Windicator isn't a bad choice. I own both and there really fun to shoot.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    XD! With some searching one can be had for ~450 and the rest spend on ammo. Mine has never failed me (except for a stupid glock bulge that made it thru my reload inspection... My fault not the gun). Great guns and soft to shoot with the double recoil system.

Parker

Top Bottom