• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    If you get one you will probably love it. I've had mine since old Blue was a pup and couldn't count the number of rounds I've put through it. Feeds everything from shorts to long rifles and I can't remember a single time it's jammed. One of those guns that you never tire of shooting. Highly recommended, fun to shoot and cheap.

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    I bought one about 3 years ago at a gun show at the terre haute fair grounds for $180 I really like it, have had no problems at all with it. shoots great, but i dont take it hunting. just target shooting usualy. it is just to nice looking to beat around in the brush with.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I have one that I traded for from a forum member. For the value (price) it's a great shooting rifle. It's more than I would expect from a $250-ish gun. I would have liked to see the fire control assemble made completely of metal...but it shoots just fine.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    I have one in 22 mag. and it's a sweet little gun.I put a b-square 3/8" dove tail to standard dovetail adaptor to use wever type rings.I have quick release rings,it works perfect and goes back zero.I wish they had a barrel band for swivels.Midway#360568 b-square mounts, you do have to fit them as they are tight but no big deal.:yesway:

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    The one I shot was a lot of fun. I have heard others enjoy them as well. I would say go for it, you can always sell it later if you hate it and likely get most of your money back.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The frontier model ( HOO1T) has an octagonal barrel and a nice bead and buckhorn sight set-up. Barrel is an inch or two longer and a bit heavier than the standard. Run about $300 for NIB. The Marlin 39A is an awesome gun( I love mine) but is twice the cost. Last new one I saw was $548.99 at Whittaker's. Decent used Henrys in my neck of the woods run from just under $200 and up depending on model. A used Marlin here in the south or over in KY will go at $400+ unless pretty rough or you find a dude needing money bad.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I have both a marlin 39a and a henry 001 the marlin is a better built gun but I usually grab the henry when I go to the woods its a lot lighter to carry and is a very accurate little rifle its a very good rifle for the money I paid $150 for it used at a gun show with a Busnell banner scope on it

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I've owned both Marlin and Henry rifles so I do have some experience with 'em. I'd suggest a Marlin 39A. Better built gun and way smoother action. Easier to disassemble too. No aluminum in the older ones , not sure about the new ones. Should be able to get one for around $300.
    My .02!

I second this. I have a 39A I picked up used this year for 299 from the 1980s. Compared with the Henry I really liked the fit/finish as well as the additional length. Right now the price of used 39As are down. I had to scour stores and guns shows until I found mine and worked the deal. Now I have a gun to pass down.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    I just got one the other night as a christmas gift from my dad. It was a big surprise to me since I didn't ask for any guns this year. Hopefully mine doesn't have any accuracy issues like some of the posts mention.

Top Bottom