Henry Big Boy, .357, .44, .45 Which one?!?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I would be interested to hear if you have actually handled one of the 1894 Remilns made in the last 2 years. Everything I have seen says they fixed the problems. From what I read Remington bought Marlin in January of 2008. The 1894 and other Marlins continued to be made by the same guys in the same factory for the next 2 years. Problems began later in 2009 when those guys found out they would have to move to New York and make much less money, or lose there jobs. After Remington started making the rifles in New York in 2010 without the Marlin experts on old wore out machines, junk started coming out daily. When Remington figured out this wasn't working, they completely retooled. The new rifles all have Ballard rifling, not microgroove, and yes they are "Remlins". In fact Remington saved the 1894 from never being produced again. Now if they can work out there own bankruptcy... I have 3 Remington firearms and am very fond of all of them. Remington has been making firearms longer than anyone else, so I think they do know a little bit about firearms. My 1894 cowboy was made in 2008 and is JM stamped. Maybe it is not the quality of a Henry, I don't know. But after taking 14 or 15 deer and a coyote, I have no complaints, and would love another. Like I said, the Henry is a great rifle, I just hate the way you load them. I would never buy a .22 when I was a kid that was tube fed for the same reason. But that is just me.

I haven't handled the newer ones yet. I really want a Cowboy 45-50. Hopefully I will run across one. I know 6-7 years ago they were terrible. I looked at 5 before I bought my Henry. Actions were tight and gritty. 2 had canted front sights. The receiver to stock fit looked like it was done with a pocket knife.

I have heard that they have upped there game in the last few years.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I like .357 because I still use .38 Special for target shooting (.38 special is less expensive than the others) and when deer hunting I can use the .357

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    I’ve enjoyed reading the responses. Looks like there are a lot of reasons to go different directions, and yet no way to go wrong, lol. I’m intrigued by the info and posts on the .357 version but still leaning .44 Mag.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm personally holding out for the Big Boy in .44 mag for (im)practical reasons; I accidentally ordered 500 rounds of lead nose .44 mag for my Desert Eagle a couple of years ago so I decided to buy something I can shoot it from and a shiny brass lever gun was my idea of an easy choice!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Ive been considering a lever gun I'm 44 mag for bringing down deer. For style points I was looking to get the brass option. But now ya'll got me thinking maybe i don't need brass for the woods

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I don't see much mention for the 45 Long Colt. Maybe not exactly historically accurate but a fun round. I love love love color case hardened look and have a matched Uberti rifle & pistol.

r9pcfm.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ive been considering a lever gun I'm 44 mag for bringing down deer. For style points I was looking to get the brass option. But now ya'll got me thinking maybe i don't need brass for the woods

I'd definitely would stay away from brass if I were tromping thru the woods! A buddy of mine had a henry .22 lever gun he used for squirrel hunting, one day he slipped while moving down an embankment and scratched the receiver all to hell. He was sick about it for a week.

I don't see much mention for the 45 Long Colt. Maybe not exactly historically accurate but a fun round. I love love love color case hardened look and have a matched Uberti rifle & pistol.

r9pcfm.jpg

Sweet!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I just had to have a pistol caliber lever action, I got the .45 colt to go with my .45 colt Blackhawk.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I'm leaning toward .45 LC. I'm not sure why. It just seems right. Stupid way to look at it, I guess.

Not stupid at all. The .45 LC is an awesome round. It was a difficult decision for me to make in 1987. I am glad I chose the .44 mag though. I have 2 lever guns in .44 mag. 2 revolvers in .44 mag. And I recently purchased a beautiful Uberti 1873 Colt replica in .44 Special. I reload for both. The .44 Special is crazy easy to reload, and a great plinker for all 5 firearms. The .45 LC would work well too if you reloaded. Everybody sells .44 mag if you don't reload.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

r9pcfm.jpg

What barrel length is the rifle? That thing is awesome!! I was thinking about getting one in .44 Special, but don't think I can get that short of a barrel.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For a good Indiana deer rifle it's 44 mag if you don't reload, 45 Colt if you do. I've hunted with both an old Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt, both bring down deer. You can push the 45 Colt pretty hard in the Henry, mine put a 325 grain cast lead slug through a deer lengthwise at 50 yards. I wouldn't feel under powered against many animals with that kind of penetration.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

r9pcfm.jpg

THat's a great looking combo and the 1873 action is smooth as glass.

Top Bottom