Henry Big Boy, .357, .44, .45 Which one?!?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    18" half octagon. Uberti part # 342440.

Very nice! I looked it up. I don't plan to add .45 Long Colt, so I could either get the exact same rifle in .357 mag or go to Cimarron, which is still Uberti and get a 20 inch full octagon barrel in .44 Special. They are pricey though. But they are beauties.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have to disagree just a little bit. 44 mag if you don't reload, either works great if you do. :):

True, I only say that because it's hard to find factory loaded ammo for the 45 Colt that will bring it to it's potential. The 44 mag is a great cartridge for the reloader.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Might as well buy one of each at the same time because, over time, lever action rifles, er carbines, have a way of growing on you and you end up buying them all anyway! It just happens and there is no known way of stopping it from happening. Ask anyone who has gotten hooked on these firearms. Best of Luck!

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    I did a lot of research before i bought mine and the .44 seemed to be the most recommended caliber of the three you mentioned. I bought a Henry in .44 and i love it.
    I've never fired the other calibers but i can't see them being any better than the .44

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I hunted with my BigBoy brass .44 and Skinner peep a few times. First time out I dropped this 8 ptr at 20 yards with a shot thru the heart. Load was a 240 gr xtp over a load of Lilgun.

Like a dummy I traded it off. But I did get a Savage 99 .308 to replace it. Wish I still had my BB.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    There's one in the Civil War reenactment magazine that offers custom engraving. Maybe that would be an option for the one you choose but would have to be ordered. That would make it special.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Stick with the Henry in .44 magnum. American made and backed by the best gun company in the business. Everyone knows the Remlins ain't the true Marlins they used to be for sure. Look carefully at the fit, finish and actions between the two guns and the Henry wins everytime. Enough said.

Agree. 44.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Hard to beat a Henry. I tend to favor the .357. You can do down to .38 special for plinking, and if you are a decent shot .357 is good enough with shot placement to bring down a deer.
    Plus, plenty of revolvers are made in those calibers for matching and ammo is not expensive and plentiful.

One other thing: if this is a true keepsake that won't be used go with the brass. If you plan on using for hunting outdoors at all go blued, or better yet get the all weather. Of course, the all weather isn't as nice a keep sake.

I'm too young for keepsakes; all my guns get used a lot.

Brass all the way for the range. As the gun heats up, steel casings expand.

Prowler28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I have a H1010 in .45-70 and LOVE it! But, to my understanding, .357 Magnum and especially .44 Magnum are great for lever guns. Just don't count on .38 Specials and .44 Specials being reliable in them due to the tube feed nature.

.45 LC I hear is good, but isn't the most impressive round from a rifle.

That's my opinion, others are certainly entitled to their own! :)

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If i was to buy one purely as a range toy and not in 22 what caliber is the most economical to shoot and still be reliable?

Prowler28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    If i was to buy one purely as a range toy and not in 22 what caliber is the most economical to shoot and still be reliable?

They have some .410 Bore lever action shotguns now. There are also choices in .17, .30-30, and the three calibers mentioned in this topic. .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, and .45 LC. Those would be good starters...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a H1010 in .45-70 and LOVE it! But, to my understanding, .357 Magnum and especially .44 Magnum are great for lever guns. Just don't count on .38 Specials and .44 Specials being reliable in them due to the tube feed nature.

.45 LC I hear is good, but isn't the most impressive round from a rifle.

That's my opinion, others are certainly entitled to their own! :)

That's not been my experience.
    I have a brass .357 Henry that actually prefers .38spl over full magnum .357's, at least for accuracy.
    As far as feeding, I can't tell the difference between the two when working the lever.

I've heard that you can not cant the rifle to the right, or feed issues could occur.
    My thought about this was, "Why would you want to cant the rifle in any direction?"

I also have a steel Henry .327fed/mag that feeds .327mag, .32H&Rmag, and .32S&W long equally well.
    Smoother than any Marlin I've ever had my hands on, and I'm a Marlin fan.

I've heard the same feed issue stories that you speak about, but the two Henry's I have that feed multiple calibers both feed everything I've chosen to feed them.

One day I'll get my hands on a Henry lever in .45-70.
    It might be an All Weather.

BTW- The idea that .45Colt is "not that impressive out of a rifle", likely came from someone who doesn't really know the round well.
    I have VERY hot loaded .45Colt rounds that I had to swear to the loader that I would only run through a firearm chambered in .454Casull.
    These are 300gr jacketed hollow points moving right at 1000fps.
    They smack a deer as hard as a Mack truck.

On the other hand, and here is where a lot of people get turned away from the .45Colt, when loaded to, "Cowboy" loads, they are not much more than "bunny farts" and will bounce back from, or splatter on hard targets.
    When I ran the first Cowboy loads I ran through my Raging Bull I thought something was wrong with the ammo.
    I watched the bullet exit the barrel and all the way to the target!

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Originally Posted by Prowler28

That's not been my experience.
    I have a brass .357 Henry that actually prefers .38spl over full magnum .357's, at least for accuracy.
    As far as feeding, I can't tell the difference between the two when working the lever.

Mgderf, I agree with you. My Rossi lever action is more accurate also in .38 special than .357. I also have never had any feed issues with .38 special. Works just as smooth with a .38 as a .357 when working the lever.

Top Bottom