• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    I am probably a bad example. I have a .22 Frontier (octagon barrel) and Big Boys in .357 mag, .44 mag, and .45 Colt. Sorry, I have trouble making decisions.

Bottom line, I obviously love them all.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I vote 44 mag. The 30-30 does have some extra range, so if this person could possibly take a shot at 125+ yards I would vote 30-30. The 44 could shoot a heavier grain if there is the need.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Another vote for 44 Mag (unless you have a .357 mag revolver that you want to match with). Trajectory is good for the first 100 yd, and you can hunt with it in Indiana on public land. I've shot one in 44 Mag and it's pretty soft shooting, my dad has also fired .44 special through one and said that it was like nothing.

This was my exact experience with a Big Boy in 44 mag. My dad is 80 and deer hunted with it this year. They are really nice. Next on the list is a case hardened 357 side loader. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those calibers. We also have a Golden Boy 22. It's a tack driver. Let us know what you get OP!

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I love all the input. First off it seems to confirm all the good things I have always heard about Henry Rifles. As stated it is a want not a need. The reason for getting one, besides the reputation, is the look - Octagonal barrel and Brass receiver. Those two characteristics rule out a few of the suggestions - especially the .308 ( I have not seen it with those two options. The input on pistol caliber makes sense for the reason of two (or more) guns using the same ammo. Ditto for buying in a caliber already owned, or a caliber easier to find available. No decision has been made yet, but the best news from all your inputs is I have many good options. THANKS!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I vote 44 mag. The 30-30 does have some extra range, so if this person could possibly take a shot at 125+ yards I would vote 30-30. The 44 could shoot a heavier grain if there is the need.

My son has me load up 300gr XTP for his. They are accurate and powerful. He Averages around 1512 fps with the 300gr xtp for 1522 ft lbs of energy at muzzle. At 120yds it still has over 800 ft lbs of energy. So definitely a deer killer upto that range. He has it sighted in for 50 yards and it drops 3.5" at 100.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'd echo comments above. 44 mag to be legal on public land and still somewhat pleasant to shoot. I'd almost suggest .357 mag, but 44 is a definite upgrade in just about all deer hunting categories.

khayden65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    United States
    I have a Henry Big Boy 44 Magnum Brass Receiver. My Christmas list would include the new side gate version with the Case Hardened receiver & a Long Ranger in 308!

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Another vote for 44mag. Big Boy X here, just had to have the side gate. Now EVERYBODY gets the side gate :crying:, well la-dee-da. Just means now I need more :laugh:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I've been looking at those 308 long rangers for awhile now. Other things have had to take priority, but boy, are they sweet. If they ever made one in 6.5 creed I'm pretty sure I couldn't withstand the temptation.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've been looking at those 308 long rangers for awhile now. Other things have had to take priority, but boy, are they sweet. If they ever made one in 6.5 creed I'm pretty sure I couldn't withstand the temptation.

I wanted one in .308. I'm not sure why, but when I went to fondle it I just didn't want to buy it. The fit and finish was really nice, though.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you

It seems that they do: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
    I'll be contacting Henry shortly for my commission.

Assuming I move to some straight-walled heavy cartridge state, I'll probably get one in 44 mag. But their .410 levers also look good. If only their rifled slug guns came in 20 Ga. But I also have a .270 and .308. So I've got the usual deer cartridge game covered with my bolt actions. Too many good Henry rifles, too little money in my account.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

Assuming I move to some straight-walled heavy cartridge state, I'll probably get one in 44 mag. But their .410 levers also look good. If only their rifled slug guns came in 20 Ga. But I also have a .270 and .308. So I've got the usual deer cartridge game covered with my bolt actions. Too many good Henry rifles, too little money in my account.

I have the .410 and quite like it. I do wish it had a loading gate, but what I use it for it's not a big deal.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland

Well, there goes the Christmas budget.....

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I have the .410 and quite like it. I do wish it had a loading gate, but what I use it for it's not a big deal.
    Yeah, I was looking at the X version just to have both the tube and side gate option. I think the new .410s will come with it from the email they sent out. So I guess it was good that I held out.

Well, there goes the Christmas budget.....
    You just have to tell the family that it's a "we" gift, and never let anyone else use it.

I'm still hoping they'll make an exposed hammer side-by-side with interchangeable chokes in 20/28 ga. I suggested it on their page, not sure how many folks have done the same. 12 Ga is more popular, of course, but there are so many used 12 Ga doubles, I think there might be more of a market for a 20 or 28. Obviously not in the OP's original direction, but it would be sweet to own a medium-priced American made double.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Yeah, I was looking at the X version just to have both the tube and side gate option. I think the new .410s will come with it from the email they sent out. So I guess it was good that I held out.

You just have to tell the family that it's a "we" gift, and never let anyone else use it.

I'm still hoping they'll make an exposed hammer side-by-side with interchangeable chokes in 20/28 ga. I suggested it on their page, not sure how many folks have done the same. 12 Ga is more popular, of course, but there are so many used 12 Ga doubles, I think there might be more of a market for a 20 or 28. Obviously not in the OP's original direction, but it would be sweet to own a medium-priced American made double.

That sounds like fun!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    :+1: for the pistol calibers. The 357 gives you some flexibility with ammo (pretty important, right now). It is a hoot to fire and will be pleasant for just about any shooter. The 44 is a great option too! God bless Santa!

Full disclosure, I like Henry rifles.
    O.K., that's out of the way.

I would also suggest the .44mag.
    Yes, the .357mag might be a little easier to shoot, and not as much recoil, especially if you download to .38spl.
    The problem here is for hunters.
    With a .44mag, you can download to .44spl and still be deer legal.
    The .38spl round is NOT legal for deer hunting, at least not in Indiana, not yet...

Nhinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Shelbyville
    I would go .22 or 44 mag. .22 wouldn’t be good for deer, but it’s fun for squirrels or rabbit. And 44 mag would be good for deer. They are both fun to shoot, but if it goes bang, it’s usually fun to shoot

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My son was ringing 4" gong at 50 yards with his Henry 44 magnum BigBoy yesterday. I should have taken some pictures but didn't think about it.

Top Bottom