• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Looks like they left the removable tube with a loading gate, that will help with unloading & cleaning.
    I'm wondering what the cost will be...???

I spent my 'Disposable Income' at the machine gun shoot, looks like I need to get some overtime ;)
    One in .30-30 would look REAL GOOD in with my other lever guns!...

MSRP = $1045 . Dont have any idea what the "street price" will be.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    MSRP = $1045 . Dont have any idea what the "street price" will be.

Yeah, that price is a killer for a lot of folks, but the number one complaint over the years has been the lack of the side loading gate. I think they will sell a ton of them, especially if they get them in pistol calibers and drop the street price a bit.

And the reviewers all say the spring to it is pretty easy to work so that is a major advantage too. I remember Dad's old Glenfield 30-30 was so stiff it was a real puppy mother to load, usually shaved some of your thumbnail off getting that last round in! With this system you can initial load through the tube port then top it off as needed through the side gate.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn’t bank on side gate for the Long Ranger models (308/6.5/223/243), they are box fed.

Keep in mind, these are the brass models. A non-side loading Henry Big Boy in brass and 30-30 has an MSRP of $998, the steel model is $893. I don’t think the MSRP of the side loading mode is that out of line what you are getting.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I wonder if they will work on the balance of these lever guns. Hopefully start using tool Steel as well?

uW0GE4Q.png

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Yeah, that price is a killer for a lot of folks, but the number one complaint over the years has been the lack of the side loading gate. I think they will sell a ton of them, especially if they get them in pistol calibers and drop the street price a bit.

And the reviewers all say the spring to it is pretty easy to work so that is a major advantage too. I remember Dad's old Glenfield 30-30 was so stiff it was a real puppy mother to load, usually shaved some of your thumbnail off getting that last round in! With this system you can initial load through the tube port then top it off as needed through the side gate.

I wouldn’t bank on side gate for the Long Ranger models (308/6.5/223/243), they are box fed.

Keep in mind, these are the brass models. A non-side loading Henry Big Boy in brass and 30-30 has an MSRP of $998, the steel model is $893. I don’t think the MSRP of the side loading mode is that out of line what you are getting.

I wonder if they will work on the balance of these lever guns. Hopefully start using tool Steel as well?

1. Street prices tend to be quite a bit lower than MSRP. I believe I paid $650 or therabouts for my Big Boy Steel Carbine; I don't recall the MSRP.

2. As to balance; My short barrel carbine balances nicely, and it is STEEL, not brass. I don't know if it's tool steel, but it's pretty heavy for a 16" barrel, and feels rock solid.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Henry’s quality has diminished over the years as well. I have a 20 year old .22 of theirs and just won a new one last fall and you can tell my old one has better wood and the engraving looks nicer and not as cheap on the old one vs the new one as well. I still love then and may have to look at one if in blued steel and 357 but I do hope they can get better wood and engraving on them.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Henry’s quality has diminished over the years as well. I have a 20 year old .22 of theirs and just won a new one last fall and you can tell my old one has better wood and the engraving looks nicer and not as cheap on the old one vs the new one as well. I still love then and may have to look at one if in blued steel and 357 but I do hope they can get better wood and engraving on them.
    I don't have an older model to base my judgement off of, but I'd say the level of quality of my single shot in .357 is very good if not great. (Gratuitous pics below.)

Obviously I can't really dispute your findings, however I'd still put the level of fit and finish above several other manufacturers. Is it as good as things gone by? Perhaps not..

Similar to how a 336 from 50 years ago in good condition would be more desirable than a new production 336 (to take nothing away from the gun itself in terms of function)

I need to stop. I'm ranting.
    793114e0cea1cb8fea3b4a44090cdbaf.jpg
    f134ce2a51241d77b784dcac31dcd5b0.jpg
    6effaf47039b9c34744fcfc4a6d51c66.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    That's a sharp rifle. Nice grain in the stock, also. Like any mass producer, Henry's walnut varies from Lottery winners to just OK. I've seen a few on store shelves I wanted to buy just for the beautiful stock, even though I didn't want the particular caliber.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    That's a sharp rifle. Nice grain in the stock, also. Like any mass producer, Henry's walnut varies from Lottery winners to just OK. I've seen a few on store shelves I wanted to buy just for the beautiful stock, even though I didn't want the particular caliber.

Now you're starting to describe women.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Blythes in Griffith has several Long Rangers in .243 and .223. A couple of them have killer stocks on them. Seriously beautiful grain. I'm tempted by a .243 at $760.

Long Ranger is the box-fed, no iron sights.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    At over $800, I can't see them being a legitimate threat to Marlin. Not when you can buy a new Remlin or used JM 336 for half that. Heck, I've seen plenty of pre-64 Win. 94's for under 8 bills!!

Henry does have a following though, so I'm sure they will sell well for them.

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    If Henry comes out with a color case hardened, side loading big boy in .44 mag I'll be in lever action heaven.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Here's one of the first

Myself and my dealer were recently sent communications indicating the actual release date wouldn't be until the 25th of this month. Evidently not so since I picked mine up today. I've been one who has been after Henry to put out a brass receiver with a round barrel rifle for some time. Henry being the company they are actually paid attention. This is a beautiful gun and just exactly what I wanted. Thanks Henry! This thing is a piece of art and shoots great also. Be advised. If you want quality it comes at a cost. This thing is worth every penny I paid. At least to me and that is all that matters.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
      IMG_0091.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 22
    • IMG_0092.jpg
      IMG_0092.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 20
    Top Bottom