• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    My younger sister went through this. Very smart girl (4.0, double major Bachelors Degree). Almost caused my parents to split up. They aged very visibly. Started with marijuana and ended with heroin over a 20 year period. She was in and out of rehab 6 times. Before I was a parent I didn’t understand why they didn’t just “disown” her (I get it now as a parent). When she relapsed the 6th time, they finally implemented “tough love”...not even...they completely severed ties. It was a horrible time, we all thought she was dead. She called 6 month later asking for rehab. All the other times she did it for reasons other than herself. She cleaned up, moved to a halfway house, got a job for the first time, saved some money, bought a car, and started looking at law schools...scored super high on LSAT...only one school would take her due to her history. She graduated #2 in a class of 151. She’s been clean now for 15 years. She stopped practicing law a few years back due to anxiety and neck pain.

All the above just to say, keep praying. Odds are unfavorable, but keep on. Total abandonment may not work, but it did for my sister. It wasn’t out of any strategy, it was just that my folks had kind of given up and to deal with the pain they had to distance themselves and just try this last ditch thing cuz there was nothing more left to do. Again, easy as a brother to see and do, almost impossible as a parent.

They had to stay tough after rehab. Even today, a day doesn’t go by that they don’t think about whether something they help with might not cause her to lose her path. Since she doesn’t make a lot of money, it’s easy to try to bail her out. But they don’t. For absolute fear of them causing her to relapse, 15 years later.

I pray for your and your family’s comfort. Much online love to you my man.

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My younger sister went through this. Very smart girl (4.0, double major Bachelors Degree). Almost caused my parents to split up. They aged very visibly. Started with marijuana and ended with heroin over a 20 year period. She was in and out of rehab 6 times. Before I was a parent I didn’t understand why they didn’t just “disown” her (I get it now as a parent). When she relapsed the 6th time, they finally implemented “tough love”...not even...they completely severed ties. It was a horrible time, we all thought she was dead. She called 6 month later asking for rehab. All the other times she did it for reasons other than herself. She cleaned up, moved to a halfway house, got a job for the first time, saved some money, bought a car, and started looking at law schools...scored super high on LSAT...only one school would take her due to her history. She graduated #2 in a class of 151. She’s been clean now for 15 years. She stopped practicing law a few years back due to anxiety and neck pain.

All the above just to say, keep praying. Odds are unfavorable, but keep on. Total abandonment may not work, but it did for my sister. It wasn’t out of any strategy, it was just that my folks had kind of given up and to deal with the pain they had to distance themselves and just try this last ditch thing cuz there was nothing more left to do. Again, easy as a brother to see and do, almost impossible as a parent.

They had to stay tough after rehab. Even today, a day doesn’t go by that they don’t think about whether something they help with might not cause her to lose her path. Since she doesn’t make a lot of money, it’s easy to try to bail her out. But they don’t. For absolute fear of them causing her to relapse, 15 years later.

I pray for your and your family’s comfort. Much online love to you my man.

You pretty much just described my life, with a few differences. My daughter is educated, college degree, never missed a day of school and even the last 2 years she has never missed a days work until now, I hope she has her job still when she returns. That is about the only thing she really cared for and took pride in. Luckily I guess, my daughter has never been arrested...so she still has a clean record. My wife and I have fought more the last 2 years then the last 32 combined. My oldest daughter gets mad at us for not just kicking her to the curb, the cops get angry at us for not letting her hit rock bottom, my extended family blames us for not being tougher....it's almost as if we can't win. If I kick her out and she dies then everyone, including myself, will blame me for not being there and doing more as a father. I am a shell of the man I once was, still got my health for now...but my mind, heart and soul has taken a hit. They can destroy a lifetime of trust in a day...and they will never regain that trust the rest of my life. It has made me angry at life and taken time from those who I love and love me, who should be treated well.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your story. I imagine us all, parents and siblings are feeling the same way. It must just be human nature, like Doc was talking earlier....we put up barriers because of manipulation and continue failure. All we have is hope man. God bless your parents brother...I don't think I could take another 18 years like these last 2.

And on another note, I spoke with my daughter yesterday. She is doing great and says everything is fine there and she feels much better. I thank each and everyone of you for your thoughts, prayers, personal experiences, words of wisdom and encouragement. You all are some good people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You pretty much just described my life, with a few differences. My daughter is educated, college degree, never missed a day of school and even the last 2 years she has never missed a days work until now, I hope she has her job still when she returns. That is about the only thing she really cared for and took pride in. Luckily I guess, my daughter has never been arrested...so she still has a clean record. My wife and I have fought more the last 2 years then the last 32 combined. My oldest daughter gets mad at us for not just kicking her to the curb, the cops get angry at us for not letting her hit rock bottom, my extended family blames us for not being tougher....it's almost as if we can't win. If I kick her out and she dies then everyone, including myself, will blame me for not being there and doing more as a father. I am a shell of the man I once was, still got my health for now...but my mind, heart and soul has taken a hit. They can destroy a lifetime of trust in a day...and they will never regain that trust the rest of my life. It has made me angry at life and taken time from those who I love and love me, who should be treated well.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your story. I imagine us all, parents and siblings are feeling the same way. It must just be human nature, like Doc was talking earlier....we put up barriers because of manipulation and continue failure. All we have is hope man. God bless your parents brother...I don't think I could take another 18 years like these last 2.

And on another note, I spoke with my daughter yesterday. She is doing great and says everything is fine there and she feels much better. I thank each and everyone of you for your thoughts, prayers, personal experiences, words of wisdom and encouragement. You all are some good people.

What you describe is the actual damage done in this situations. They drain your soul. But you keep fighting. Relentlessly. It is the most talked about/thought about/fought about topic in the house. My spouse and I have fought so much due to this insanity. And we are over it. Completely. After 20 years of this roller coaster we have shut the door. Yes it has been an ongoing thing for at least that long. Now it is up to life for the next lessons. We are tired.

It sounds like there is a light at the end of this tunnel for you my friend. Embrace it. You are in our prayers.

Top Bottom