• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I started going to the IDPA shoots at my club and decided to shoot 1911 for the last competition. I was paired with the "old guys" and they all took the opportunity to tell me how to stay safe and ensure I understood how to shoot in a competition. They were all pretty bad, but it was only because of their years, or so they said.

We got to a stage that called for strong and support hand shooting and I was first up. Well, I canted my gun and could hear the gasps and snickers from some of them. One guy started taking pictures and I'm not sure where he posted them. Anyway, one of them taught me that canting the gun is only done on television and by gangsters and the proper way to shoot non-supported is to keep the gun straight as possible.

Some people just need to shut up when a new person shows up to these shoots! Just be friendly and get to know a person before offering "lessons" and other insights. Who knows, the guy just may know a thing or two about shooting.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'd think kicking their butts in the competition is all that would be required to shut them up...At least a few.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear this Que. Any USPSA clubs close?

On the topic of SHO/WHO shooting. There is a faction of old school shooters who do believe the gun should be vertical all the time. I like to shoot with a slight cant for unsupported shooting. Let the results show for themselves. Do whatever let's the sights return the quickest.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Que, check out the USPSA matches at Fredericksburg. I used to suffer a 4 hr ride home when I lived in MD to shoot there. There monthly club match rivaled many state/section matches (7 stages, 110-120 shooters). Shoot with folks like Todd Jarrett, Ernie Langdon, Scott Warren, and many other talented local GMs. All for $20.
    You have to get on their mailing list and register in advance for the matches (they use to have a wait list!), but they are worth it.
    Fredericksburg Practical Shooters
    Home Page

If you aren't too far from southern MD, Sanner's Lake in Lexington Park puts on good IDPA matches and has started USPSA since I moved away.
    Sanner's Lake Sportsman Club

On the topic of SHO/WHO shooting. There is a faction of old school shooters who do believe the gun should be vertical all the time.

I've talked to a faction of old timers who believe you should ONLY shoot one-handed... "it's called a HAND gun, son, not a HANDS gun."

-rvb

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Still waiting on the link for times / scores...

They do not link them on the website, but I came in second place.

I think when I told them I was from Indiana (the north), they immediately assumed I was a new shooter and learned from movies. They weren't too obnoxious, but some of their pointers would not be helpful if I implemented them.

IDPA is a fun shoot, but I still have to learn the ropes. The last shoot, I was able to shoot with a guy who consistently comes in first place, overall, and I learned that accuracy really doesn't matter. For the next shoot, I will just shoot as fast as I can and not worry about misses and penalties.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

On the topic of SHO/WHO shooting. There is a faction of old school shooters who do believe the gun should be vertical all the time. I like to shoot with a slight cant for unsupported shooting. Let the results show for themselves. Do whatever let's the sights return the quickest.

There is a USPSA shoot, but it's the same day as my club's IDPA shoot. I think I need to show support at my club for a while, because it's going through the new school versus old school politics and it's causing division. I will seek out other shoots, especially the ones rvb suggested, next season.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm all in favor of giving advice to new shooters, etc. Because of that, I wil share this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgbBChhrRKo . I, personally, improved my SHO/WHO shooting after watching and trying that. Still not good, but better :).

The way they tried to give you advice and the taking pictures thing is total crap. Hopefully you can find a better group of shooters to hang out with in the future.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    They do not link them on the website, but I came in second place.

I think when I told them I was from Indiana (the north), they immediately assumed I was a new shooter and learned from movies. They weren't too obnoxious, but some of their pointers would not be helpful if I implemented them.

IDPA is a fun shoot, but I still have to learn the ropes. The last shoot, I was able to shoot with a guy who consistently comes in first place, overall, and I learned that accuracy really doesn't matter. For the next shoot, I will just shoot as fast as I can and not worry about misses and penalties.

Can't wait to see the your results from the next match. As Ryan stated, the penalties in IDPA are severe.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    The old man knows everything syndrome. I see plenty of that.

Not everything, most. :)

I've attempted to help new shooters. Before I start, however, I always ask if they would like some advice. When you see a new shooter run a gun dry again and again, you can just about figure he needs some basic pointers about the game. If he wants to know how to play this game really, really well, I'll hook him up with Chris S.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Can't wait to see the your results from the next match. As Ryan stated, the penalties in IDPA are severe.

From the scores, it looks like the guy is so fast that by the time they score the penalties and misses, he still comes out ahead of everyone. I may try to video him next match, but I think he may be faster than Chad, but not nearly as accurate.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Some people just need to shut up when a new person shows up to these shoots! Just be friendly and get to know a person before offering "lessons" and other insights.

From the scores, it looks like the guy is so fast that by the time they score the penalties and misses, he still comes out ahead of everyone. I may try to video him next match, but I think he may be faster than Chad, but not nearly as accurate.

oops. sorry. carry on with your grand plan. :)

-rvb

Top Bottom