• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    From the scores, it looks like the guy is so fast that by the time they score the penalties and misses, he still comes out ahead of everyone. I may try to video him next match, but I think he may be faster than Chad, but not nearly as accurate.

That may make him a local hero, but he'll never do well at a major with that. I'd like to see a video of him shooting a stage.

Yeah, at bigger matches you get people who are incredibly fast and they don't miss much like Bob Vogel.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    oops. sorry. carry on with your grand plan. :)

-rvb

That may make him a local hero, but he'll never do well at a major with that. I'd like to see a video of him shooting a stage.

I really don't mind constructive criticism, but these guys were trying to haze the new guy.

I will see if I can find a video of the guy shooting and do one of myself. He said he doesn't play "the game" and shoots how he would in a real situation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I really don't mind constructive criticism, but these guys were trying to haze the new guy.

I will see if I can find a video of the guy shooting and do one of myself. He said he doesn't play "the game" and shoots how he would in a real situation.

Hah! Methinks the opposite is true if he's going that fast.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not everything, most. :)

I've attempted to help new shooters. Before I start, however, I always ask if they would like some advice. When you see a new shooter run a gun dry again and again, you can just about figure he needs some basic pointers about the game. If he wants to know how to play this game really, really well, I'll hook him up with Chris S.

I'll take good advice from anyone. I just hate the whole, "I'm older than you, so I know everything, attitude". I have seen it do more harm then good. A good teacher is humble and stern when they need to be, not egotistical.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I started going to the IDPA shoots at my club and decided to shoot 1911 for the last competition. I was paired with the "old guys" and they all took the opportunity to tell me how to stay safe and ensure I understood how to shoot in a competition. They were all pretty bad, but it was only because of their years, or so they said.

We got to a stage that called for strong and support hand shooting and I was first up. Well, I canted my gun and could hear the gasps and snickers from some of them. One guy started taking pictures and I'm not sure where he posted them. Anyway, one of them taught me that canting the gun is only done on television and by gangsters and the proper way to shoot non-supported is to keep the gun straight as possible.

Some people just need to shut up when a new person shows up to these shoots! Just be friendly and get to know a person before offering "lessons" and other insights. Who knows, the guy just may know a thing or two about shooting.

Was it Yeager critiquing you? It was Yeager, wasn't it? :popcorn:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've always canted with my off hand.

You just go right ahead and be a cantor, Que.

5231e4a58f62b.preview-300.jpg

Smile and blow kisses.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    James wasn't as bad as these guys. Honestly, I don't think they meant any harm. I'm the new guy and I get it. We shall see how the next shoot goes.

I know how it feels to be the new guy. I shot my first match last week. Had one guy kind of get ****ty with me. I made a mistake and I addmited to it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Half Homey is the way I roll, especially when shooting WHO. Just do what you have to do and get those hits. I have a feeling that QUE will soon establish himself as the stud of this particular VA range.

Edit: Next time shoot the gun upside down and really blow their minds.

Last edited:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I started going to the IDPA shoots at my club and decided to shoot 1911 for the last competition. I was paired with the "old guys" and they all took the opportunity to tell me how to stay safe and ensure I understood how to shoot in a competition. They were all pretty bad, but it was only because of their years, or so they said.

That just goes to show you, "Just cause your old don't mean your smart"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    James wasn't as bad as these guys. Honestly, I don't think they meant any harm. I'm the new guy and I get it. We shall see how the next shoot goes.

Be glad you're not a woman! It would have been much worse, especially the condescension!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I've been shooting for only 4 yrs. I'm in the "old" age bracket.
    I've ran into this attitude at the range after someone muzzles me or worse and I call them on it.
    I have heard the line "I've been handling guns for 30 yrs". I've got so now that I have a reply ready "Apparently you've been doing it wrong all that time". :)

Que, you'll soon learn who to squad with and who not to.

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012

IDPA will get you killed on the streets.

Top Bottom