• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have been asking for recs for a cheap but quality 9mm for my dad who also wants to shoot 22. We were looking at the Tanfoglio Witness, but I saw a recent post about cheap guns and the C-9 came up. The MSRP is only $155. Then I saw a phoenix arms 22 for $122 I think.

With a lifetime warranty, can you really go wrong with a Hi-Point? I have read several reviews of problems but most were overcome easily, or by sending it back in. The gun would mainly be used for enjoyment at the range.

The cost makes me wonder, but since their website is clearly designed as an after school project, maybe they pass that savings on to me?

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I look at them like craftsman tools.
    They're not the best, but they'll get the job done.
    With a lifetime warrantee and no questions asked policy, you'll get your money's worth and then some

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    if you get a hi point hopefully you get one of the 50% that works right. i have had a hi point and it was awful. buddy had one that was also terrible. brother has one that works like a dandy. but for $150 it may be worth the shot to try one out. if it dont work send it to factory for repair and if it still doesnt work use it as a paper weight or a whompin' stick. they are quick large and cumbersome

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Go for it, you will have a lot of fun with them. You don't have much range with the small 22 auto. You might want to look at the Heritage Arms revolver with 6" barrel. Just a few more bucks but you get a lot better accuracy. Just sayin.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I had one that I got as an introduction to handguns. I had constant issues with failures and traded it in for an XD. I guess I could have sent it back or used other ammo to make sure that wasn't the issue, but a newbie doesn't think like that. I know there are a few INGO members who love them, but I would not recommend them. I would spend the extra $100 and get the Ruger P95.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    With a lifetime warranty, can you really go wrong with a Hi-Point?
    No! I here there is a "break in period" with some of them but, if you are patient you can get it working flawlessly and you are good to go. My Hi Point .45 and my 9mm carbine both functioned flawlessly right out of the box, by the way.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    if you get a hi point hopefully you get one of the 50% that works right. i have had a hi point and it was awful. buddy had one that was also terrible. brother has one that works like a dandy. but for $150 it may be worth the shot to try one out. if it dont work send it to factory for repair and if it still doesnt work use it as a paper weight or a whompin' stick. they are quick large and cumbersome
    If it still doesn't work you make them replace it with a new one :dunno:

Last edited:

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    I know the older model hi- points were crap ... but I think they are owned by someone different now, and quality is a little better...??? A buddy of mine has a .40 and we have shot it alot and no problems yet..!! Still wouldn't bet my life on one though.....

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I had one that I got as an introduction to handguns. I had constant issues with failures and traded it in for an XD. I guess I could have sent it back or used other ammo to make sure that wasn't the issue, but a newbie doesn't think like that. I know there are a few INGO members who love them, but I would not recommend them. I would spend the extra $100 and get the Ruger P95.
    I spent the extra $100 plus another $50 on a good used 12 ga. I'm pretty happy with both!
    I will, however, be the first to tell you that Hi Point pistols are not for everyone. None of them are the best choice for a concealed carry weapon and, now that I have my shot gun, and my Hi Point carbine, my .45 would never be my first choice for home defense.

I do think my Hi Point .45 is a dandy OC weapon though.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So, to summarize:
    For a cheap gun, it's great but sucks, reliable yet half are defective, and it's ugly but some find it cute.

No fence sitters here!
    sitting-on-the-fence.jpg

Why do I feel like I opened a can o' worms on this one?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Well, this thread is going better than I thought it would.:): I have/had both of the guns you brought up, the Phoenix Arms .22 is an OK gun, but I found that you absolutely MUST keep it squeaky clean at all times for it to work reliably. As to the Hi point, I say go for it, like others have said, for the money, and the warranty, you can't go wrong. I would certainly not depend on either weapon in a self defense situation when new, out of the box, and would suggest running at least 1000 rounds through the Hi point before carrying, or using as a home defense weapon. The Phoenix arms is a fun little range gun, but just has too many safeties to fiddle with to be used as anything but a last resort.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Mine has been flawless through several hundred rounds. I also have 2 Pheonix hp22. One malfunctions at least once a mag and the other just went through a 550 round box of federals with only 3 problems(all ammo) without cleaning. Accuracy on the 22 is good enough for plinking and even better with the 5" barrel.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I own two, a .380 and the C9. Never an issue from either of them with over 1000 rounds through each. I know several others that own various HiPoint models and there are very pleased as well. Heavy, low capacity compared to other guns the same size, and not the best to look at...yes, but they are affordable and they do work. I own several handguns and I will put my HiPoints up against any of them as far as reliability and accuracy goes. Just my :twocents:

You also mentioned the HP22 as well. I also owned one of those and was VERY impressed with it. I shot the hell out of that thing. I am talking over 15,000 rounds in the three years I had it and it was accurate and a great shooter. The occasional failure to eject from time to time but nothing major. I sold it to a buddy a few years back and it is still going good. I have considered getting another one some day just for an extra range toy.

These are my personal experiences with both guns. I have heard many complaints about both, and I do not doubt there have been some issues, but I can honestly say I was 100% pleased with both. Maybe I just got lucky :dunno:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I have a C9 that I bought new about a year ago. 1200 rds later I'm still waiting for the first jam. I do wish it had a slide release lever tho' but for $130 NIB I can't complain. I also have a Sig 2022 and Smith SD 9, but enjoy shooting the HP best. The weight would suck as a carry gun I guess, but it is pleasant to shoot. I bought a 380 HP a few months back as well, only a couple hundred rds so far but looking good as far as reliability with the exception the 380 doesn't like aluminum case ammo . The C9 will eat anything at all.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    I have a C9 and I like it. I guess I got one of good ones, mine even went through a house fire about5 years ago, still a great shooter, but it does have a few quirks 1. its a little top heavy 2. low cap mag and 3. it doesnt like steel, but you get what you pay for I guess. Still a good little gun IMO.

Top Bottom