• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, if you replace the fuel atmosphere, with a fuel lance, you'd have a "thermal lance", or an "oxygen lance".

The fuel is the lance itself, and oxygen is blown through it.
    We use it in the mill to cut, well just about anything. Including a hole in a workers leg (accidentally). Ignited my pants on fire once, and I wasn't even cutting with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4r7OKkXmU
    [video=youtube;EV4r7OKkXmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4r7OKkXmU[/video]

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    "Appear" to burn is more correct academically, but it's essentially a flame turned inside out, which is still a flame.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    What you need is an oxidizing chemical mixed, sometimes in particular proportion, with a reducing chemical, and if necessary a separate source of ignition. I'll admit, it's hard to think of anything being more oxidizing than... oxygen :p There are some pyrophorics that ignite spontaneously on contact with air. Heh heh FIRE! FIRE! Heh heh, that's cool.
    graphics-beavis-and-butthead-853767.gif

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Light a match in an O2 free container, nothing happens - no oxygen - no burn (it may spark due to the chemical in the match head)

Light a match in 100% O2, and the match (fuel) will burn very hot. It is not the O2 that is burning but making the match (fuel) burn very hot.

NEVER is the O2 burning. NEVER is the O2 exploding. It is always the fuel that burns more intensely when in an O2 enriched atmosphere.

O2 is used in welding, not because it burns, but because it intensifies the fire and makes it burn hotter.

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I just watched a channel 6 news report where the announcer warned the public that oxygen is "HIGHLY FLAMMABLE". Why do news agencies, and people, insist on repeating that lie. Oxygen IS NOT FLAMMABLE!!! It IS necessary for OTHER things to burn, and in high concentrations, OTHER THINGS will burn hotter and faster. I have even seen a sign in a hospital: "warning, flammable oxygen in use". Say what? There is NO SUCH THING AS FLAMMABLE OXYGEN! OK, rant over.

Here is why they had that report.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...-suspected-fatal-indianapolis-fire/627128002/

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I will not deny that some fuels do not need O2 to burn because they react with each other. I wonder how those fuels would react if O2 was introduced?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We had to have a safety brief at work.
    Workers often use an air line to blow all the dirt off their clothes. Which they are already not supposed to do, due to risks of blowing stuff into the eyes or the skin.
    But, sometimes the oxygen line is closer, and workers have been known to use the oxygen line.
    Well, some oxygen will be trapped in the clothing. Between the clothes and the skin. And in the clothing itself.
    So... working in a steel mill.. ignition sources.. well, fill in the blank.
    Yup, it's not the oxygen. But clothes ignite. Even fire retardant ones.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

I have seen individuals who decided they could smoke or cook while wearing O2 cannula. I have see the results of drivers who decided they could smoke while in a van that delivered liquid Oxygen. Unfortunately the news media are not experts or even well educated in everything they report on. IMO, although wrongly reported, they are warning people to be careful. It is not hurting anyone and may actually save someone's life.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I will not deny that some fuels do not need O2 to burn because they react with each other. I wonder how those fuels would react if O2 was introduced?

Otto fuel is stable.
    During an Otto fuel spill, the concern is that if exposed to heat, it will create hydrogen cyanide. Which tends to be fatal.
    So, we'd isolate each compartments ventilation system. Our sub, and most of the ones in my day, had multiple compartments.
    But modern subs tend to have less compartments. 688s, which are getting old, only have 2 compartments.
    The next thing done is to deenergize any heaters or heat source.
    Then clean up.
    But that was limited to torpedomen, so I'm not sure what went on there.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    We had to have a safety brief at work.
    Workers often use an air line to blow all the dirt off their clothes. Which they are already not supposed to do, due to risks of blowing stuff into the eyes or the skin.
    But, sometimes the oxygen line is closer, and workers have been known to use the oxygen line.
    Well, some oxygen will be trapped in the clothing. Between the clothes and the skin. And in the clothing itself.
    So... working in a steel mill.. ignition sources.. well, fill in the blank.
    Yup, it's not the oxygen. But clothes ignite. Even fire retardant ones.

A coworker used to fly B52s. He has a very funny story about a crew mate who decided to stick an o2 line down his suit to cool off because they were roasting hot sitting waiting on the tarmac. then, he decided to have a smoke.... basically body hair, ALL body hair, became the fuel source.

-rvb

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A coworker used to fly B52s. He has a very funny story about a crew mate who decided to stick an o2 line down his suit to cool off because they were roasting hot sitting waiting on the tarmac. then, he decided to have a smoke.... basically body hair, ALL body hair, became the fuel source.

-rvb

Yup.

And people wonder why I'm a fanatic when it come to putting out fires.

Top Bottom