Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Keen make vey good puts
    So does Dunham....thats what I wear
    I also wear New Balance Light weight ones in the summer

Agreed, KEEN makes some good footwear. I currently have 3 different pairs of KEENs, all low tops, one is a KEEN hiking shoe. My wife hikes in a pair of KEEN boots. The biggest problem with KEEN is that their soles are very rigid and non-responsive. Great for walking on asphalt, but not so good for rocky terrain where you need to have a more responsive sole.

New Balance makes some excellent shoes, and they make large and wide sizes. I don't currently have any, but I've had them in the past and they offer great comfort. They have branched out into walking shoes and light hikers but I'm not sure if they have anything for long hikes, stability with a backpack, etc????

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I've had a good experience so far with a pair of Merrell Insulated boots this winter and I have wide flat feet too. If you're looking for something for hiking in warmer weather (not snow) these might work.

Men's Moab Mid Waterproof Boots - Official Merrell Online Store - J88631

Sawtooth Men?s Hiking Boot ? Choose Lightweight Hiking Boots from Merrell - #stocknumber#

I have no experience with the brands in the OP.

I've never tried them as a boot, but I can vouch for the Merrell Moab in low top (I'm on my 4th pair of the Gore-Tex model) for Ogre feet (14 EE) with a high arch.

The big trick is finding a store with odd sizes in stock so you can actually try them on. Stout's in Indy usually has odd sizes, though I don't know about the brands they carry these days.

If you want to try the Moabs, I know there is a Merrell store at the big mall in North Carmel (around 146th and 31), though I've never been.

Good luck.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I love my ASOLO as far as durability and being able to handle a backpacking load (very stiff shank and great ankle support). Merrell's are fine if you just want something to wear around town, but do not hold up to woods usage. Keen I would place somewhere in between. This past winter I picked up a pair of Irish Setter insulated hunting boots that I think will end up being good boots. If you want an old-school logger boot it's hard to beat White's or Drew's Boots.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    One note of caution to every boot buyer. Within every brand there are good boots and bad boots. Just because some ASOLO boots are excellent, doesn't mean that every model is excellent. Just because some ZAMBERLAN boots are great, does not mean that all are. Ditto for every other brand. I do not believe you can make blanket statements about the performance of every boot from any company.

A 'light hiker' from one brand may be excellent but an 'approach boot' from the same maker may be marginal.

And as I mentioned before, just like bullets/cartridges, there are many different types of hiking boots for many different types of hiking. Buying the wrong type of boot for the wrong type of use can make your life/feet miserable.

Also look at the trend for lighter weight boots using higher tech materials. Every 1# on your feet is like an extra 8# on your back. So a pair of 42+ ounce boots is like strapping on a 20# backpack.

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    Danner makes awesome products. I have 4 different pairs for different conditions. Make sure and stay away from the non-recraftable boots (molded on soles), as in my experience, they are not even in the same league as the "stitch-down" boots. I have the Canadiens serious cold weather, the in insulated elk hunters for general hunting, the Danner Lights for upland hunting, and the quarry's for everyday boots that I keep in my truck. All have been flawless, and I'd guess I have had some of them nearly 8 or 9 years.

Top Bottom