• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Hello all. I am in need of a pair of hiking boots. I want something durable, waterproof/gore-tex, and comfortable for my wide, flat, ogre feet. I am strongly considering the Lowa Renegade (wide), and the Danner GTX Mt Defiance. I like the look of the Lowa a bit better, but haven't found a Mt Defiance in my size yet to try on.
    My question is does anybody have experience with these two brands or particular boots? I'd like to know your experiences, please. I want to stay around $200. Are the Danner's made in USA? I've read different things.
    I'm not a soldier, not a mountaineer, but I have high expectations.
    Thank you.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Those sawtooth's look nice. I never heard of Danner before, but from what I've read, they are well-liked and they provide boots for the military.

Last edited:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    For what it's worth I will NEVER buy Merrell products again. I have had 3 pairs of their low hiking shoes that were defective. IN each case they would take them back and exchange them until we finally gave up. I also have some of their hiking shorts and the rivets have pulled out and the seams let go early in their life. Both Danner and Lowa make fine footwear and you might also consider ASOLO

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I bought some Hi-Tech Altitude IV's a few years ago when heading out to the backcountry for camping and hunting. For $80, they are definitely worth more than that. They are from a UK company, are waterproof, very durable, and warm enough to wear in the winter but cool enough for the summer. I have been very pleasantly surprised. I need to get some more because I have worn out the tread.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Check into Keen or the Keen Utility line. I have a 14 EEE and run their regular width nicely. They have different heights and a lot of different styles. They are quite comfortable and last me pretty good with my walking style. I wear them well over 8 hours a day reading meters and I have had no issues with them.

Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    I'm gonna also give 2 thumbs up for the ASOLO GTX 520. VERY comfortable, short break in time, Gore tex, Vibram sole...Just a real well constructed boot. A little pricey at $280, but worth the money in my opinion.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I wear ASOLO for hiking /light backpacking and love them. I also have owned 2 pairs of Keen light hikers. The Keens seem to accommodate a wide foot well. The toe is boxier and the instep area seems to have a generous cut. They are also pretty tough and durable.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    With Ogre feet you're just gonna have to try before you buy. A word of advice. When you try them on make sure they feel awesome right then and there. Many fall into the trap of thinking you'll breakers then in. Forget that!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hello all. I am in need of a pair of hiking boots. I want something durable, waterproof/gore-tex, and comfortable for my wide, flat, ogre feet. I am strongly considering the Lowa Renegade (wide), and the Danner GTX Mt Defiance. I like the look of the Lowa a bit better, but haven't found a Mt Defiance in my size yet to try on.
    My question is does anybody have experience with these two brands or particular boots? I'd like to know your experiences, please. I want to stay around $200. Are the Danner's made in USA? I've read different things.
    I'm not a soldier, not a mountaineer, but I have high expectations.
    Thank you.

As a hiker I have to ask WHAT TYPE OF HIKING BOOTS do you desire? Daily wear boots that look like 'hiking boots' for around town? Light hikers for day hikes? Boots with a rigid ankle support? Approach boots? Mountaineering boots for rugged conditions? Hiking boots for carrying a load? If so, how heavy of a load?

You said "camping, hiking or SHTF" in one of your posts but those are 3 radically different activities. Camping is mostly sitting around a fire. Hiking can mean 12 hours of walking with a pack that weighs from 5# to 65# depending on if you are carrying food/tent/water/etc. And SHTF probably would make "hiking" seem easy. Very different tasks to ask of a boot, very different boots needed.

Different types of boots have different types of construction and quite honestly are designed for different tasks. No different than bullets. You are not going to use a 380 out of a pocket pistol to go hunt deer, nor will you want a 375 H&H Magnum for our Hoosier whitetails.

Personally I've owned Merrel, Asolo, Zamberlan, Keen, Lowa and several others I can't recall. My favorite light boot is the Zamberlan 230 Crosser in Gore-Tex/Kevlar. But for every day, around town use, I find my Irish Setter upland game boots to be more comfortable for casual wear than I find any brand/style of premium hiking boot.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    12EEEE here. I feel your pain.

Looked for a pair of waterproof and insulated (like 800g Thinsulate or more) hunting boots for four years and gave up and ordered the only 200g ones I could find in the world. forget trying to find that combo AND Gor-Tex. And they weren't "waterproof" as advertised; they weren't even wet grass after rain proof. Annual Sno-Seal applications help a bunch.

The brand is Fin and Feather. They were $100. I wouldn't want to wear them for hiking; they aren't supportive enough.

My "hiking" boots are $30 WalMart specials in 13EE. They aren't wide enough and they are too long, but they aren't $200 either. They have lasted for 4 years and they will probably go couple more. I can't see paying that much for something I'm just going to destroy on Boy Scout trips and hikes-.

For "camping, hiking, and SHTF" the WalMart boots are the boots I grab. And they have a little insulation (maybe 200g max). It's OK for a hiking boot, but they are very hot in the summer.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I was and am still a big fan of Danner and Meindel boots,...that is until I got a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots. The Salomon boots are hands down the most comfortable out of the box boots I have ever worn. Traction and ankle support is fantastic and they feel like a pair of preformance hightop tennis shoes on my feet. I'll have to see how they hold up on a desert hiking trip to the Grand Staircase NM in Utah this spring, but thus far, I am VERy impressed.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom