• ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    [video=youtube_share;ypb5HXdDJhc]https://youtu.be/ypb5HXdDJhc[/video]

Proof? This guy claims it is possible for a firearm to shoot by itself.
    I’ll take my $200 in the form of 420 rounds XM855 please :)
    Nobody said “proof”, he said show up and make that gun go off without...if you can do it as he stated, I’ll gladly pay up and consider lessons learned.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It's one of those things you can do right 50,000 times and do wrong once and it's going to suck. Appendix ups the odds, as you're more likely to be pointing at something that can kill you. I've yet to see a fatality from a strong side carry gun, can't say the same for appendix. .

tenor.gif

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's one of those things you can do right 50,000 times and do wrong once and it's going to suck. Appendix ups the odds, as you're more likely to be pointing at something that can kill you. I've yet to see a fatality from a strong side carry gun, can't say the same for appendix.

How many fatalities have you come across from AIWB carry with a holster?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe. If you watch the video closely, though, you can see how the grey outer shirt follows his hand down toward the holster. Once holstered, he flips his shirt out over the gun, but you can see that the end of the shirt is still tucked up into something. When he pulls the handgun back out after the discharge, you can see how much longer the outer shirt actually is and it seems to come out of the holster with the handgun.

His shirt has that same crease before he puts the gun in the holster and it looks to me like it gets it up high enough to clear it. I also think it'd look a bit more "puckered" instead of a cleaner horizontal line if it was sucked into the mouth of a holster. But, who knows, we only get one angle.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So I am not a big fan of Glocks or striker fired pistols.

I have known two well trained gentlemen that have experienced a ND with the Glock platform.

1. Guy retrieving items in a storage locker bent over and “bang” no injuries or damage.
    Carrying SOB he assumed shirt was stuck in holster?

2. Dude jumped into drivers side of pick up “bang” hole though floor no injuries.
    Carrying strong side IWB assumes shirt was in holster?

I am not trying to bash Glocks just display my personal experience that forms my opinion of striker fired pistols.
    My recent purchase of a S&W M&P and the decision to start carrying it was spurred by the failure of my SIG 250 DAO.
    So the more ND incidents that do not have an easy explanation and you can find many here on INGO shakes my faith in the striker pistol.
    ND’s can and will happen with every platform with that fact being stated.
    Why do we get several reports of “holstered” striker fired safe pistols experiencing ND’s?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How many fatalities have you come across from AIWB carry with a holster?

I don't know exactly, I've not kept a running tally. Best guess, 2-3 in 6 years. As far as I can recall, I've not personally seen, or read a commander's sheet on, a case of a gun firing in the holster, and not being drawn/holstered, like in the original video.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why do we get several reports of “holstered” striker fired safe pistols experiencing ND’s?

Striker fired guns are the most common carry gun these days by a large margin. Even if all guns experienced NDs at the same rate, striker fired guns would have the lead.

People tinker with the guts. Modified guns to get that ultra-light trigger are simply not as safe as the OEM gun. There are aftermarket trigger kits that make the gun able to fire from a sharp blow because the partially cocked striker can slip and fire the gun, which is essentially impossible with an OEM gun.

Striker fired guns have a small margin of error. When the trigger is pressed, it fires, and not a lot of pressure is required to fire it. With a hammer fired gun, you can hold your thumb over the hammer. If a collapsed holster were to get caught on the trigger, the hammer will move back. Your thumb can prevent the movement or at least cause you to notice it. A striker fired has no such feedback (absent a Gadget) and the feeling is much more subtle. Of course, if you forget to safe a 1911 or decock a DA/SA you can set up the same scenario with those types as well, although with the DA/SA you *should* again be able to notice the hammer's not down when you thumb it.

You can ND any gun, striker-fired just have a bit less margin of error.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Striker fired guns are the most common carry gun these days by a large margin. Even if all guns experienced NDs at the same rate, striker fired guns would have the lead.

People tinker with the guts. Modified guns to get that ultra-light trigger are simply not as safe as the OEM gun. There are aftermarket trigger kits that make the gun able to fire from a sharp blow because the partially cocked striker can slip and fire the gun, which is essentially impossible with an OEM gun.

Striker fired guns have a small margin of error. When the trigger is pressed, it fires, and not a lot of pressure is required to fire it. With a hammer fired gun, you can hold your thumb over the hammer. If a collapsed holster were to get caught on the trigger, the hammer will move back. Your thumb can prevent the movement or at least cause you to notice it. A striker fired has no such feedback (absent a Gadget) and the feeling is much more subtle. Of course, if you forget to safe a 1911 or decock a DA/SA you can set up the same scenario with those types as well, although with the DA/SA you *should* again be able to notice the hammer's not down when you thumb it.

You can ND any gun, striker-fired just have a bit less margin of error.

Which is why kydex body shields that force the thumb safety "on" when you holster and won't let it go off are a very good feature.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Which is why kydex body shields that force the thumb safety "on" when you holster and won't let it go off are a very good feature.
    When I was shopping around for an OWB I found that there are a surprising amount of kydex holster which did not cover the safety or the mag releases. The one I finally settled on from Dara is cut so the safety on my M&P cannot be bumped off while the firearm is holstered.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I was shopping around for an OWB I found that there are a surprising amount of kydex holster which did not cover the safety or the mag releases. The one I finally settled on from Dara is cut so the safety on my M&P cannot be bumped off while the firearm is holstered.

I had a tuckable AIWB made by a friend for a Sig Sauer P226 Legion SAO. When you holster, if the safety is not already on, it will force it into the on position then it won't let it move no matter how hard you press on the outboard safety lever. It's a GOOD holster.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Yup, same thing with my Dara. Even if the safety is off holstering it will put the gun into the safe position.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008

You don't want your mag releases covered, you want them exposed.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We may need a ND thread. We've had a glut of them lately (Whole Foods NAA/green bag guy, the Dayton newspaper stuffer, the FBI back-flipper, this one) and they are starting to blur.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ouch! Really, if everyone can at least agree that guns should "always be pointed in a safe direction", then pretty much by definition appendix carry is a bad idea, no matter what kind of gun it is.

What if it "aint low-dead"?

I know it's hip and cool and stuff, I mean I got the dirty baseball hat pulled down to my eyebrows and the monkey butt facial hair and 5.11 pants with suppressor burns and everything, but can we agree that AIWB isn't for everyone?

Far too many people are doing it who have no business around firearms.

Top Bottom