• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • npbrownf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Im in the market for a dependable home defense 12 gauge. Not really sure what route to go. Any suggestions?

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    If you are looking for a low budget, maverick 88= mossberg 500. I got mine for $150. I know I have seen some recently in the classifieds.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I keep a Mossberg 500 for a "House Gun". I got mine new from a local sporting goods chain for $208.00 out the door complete with 2 barrels. One is a 28" vented rib with a Modified choke. And the other is a 18" Cylinder bore with no rib. The action on these guns are a bit rough when new, but I oiled the hell out of it and ran a case of shells through it, and after a good cleaning and re lubrication it was really surprisingly smooth. Bill T.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Also i really like the new stoeger double barrels with the tacticool rail. Old school and new combo :-)

b0Rn~c0nfus3d

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    I have the winchester super x defender pump.They are not cheap but i never had problems with it either.Here are some spec's on them.Other then that its just something you have to decide as everyone is different and has their own opion.

Winchester Super X Pump Defender pump action shotgun
    12 gauge
    18" chrome plated barrel
    3" chamber
    5 +1 capacity
    Cylinder choke barrel
    Composite stock & forearm
    Non glare metal finish
    Grooved forearm
    39-1/2" overall length
    13-3/4" length of pull
    1-3/4" drop at comb
    2" drop at heel
    6 lbs. 8 oz.

Easy to pack and carry, handling buckshot or rifled slugs efficiently through the fully chrome plated, 18" fixed cylinder choked barrel (no constriction) for wide patterning. This open choke is also very accurate when using Foster-type slugs. It also has non-glare metal surfaces with a tough composite stock and forearm. Additional features include a five-shot magazine (plus one in the chamber), and a positive, deeply grooved forearm for control and stability.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    rem 870... with some 00 buckshot

X2 these are Tacticalshotgunner shotties:

TscShotties005.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You thinking just a home defense shotgun or do you have any interest in hunting one day with it also, shooting trap? That can change things up a bit.

If you go that route, and 870 express combo is a good way to go. The shorter smooth bore deer barrel with rifle sights can be used for you HD barrel as well, leaving the longer vent rib barrel for trap/skeet/small game hunting.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    walmart has a mossberg 500 combo crown edition for $300 28 in smooth bore and a 24 in rifled barrel with rifled sights.

thats what i bought and im happy with it.

i originally went in for the 870 but it actually had some rust on the barrel and it was brand new. and the 500 was the same price with an extra barrel.

ill have a remington some day

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I have a used Mossberg 500 here at the shop for $175 it has the smooth bore slug barrell on it. And yes my preference is a mossberg..

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    walmart has a mossberg 500 combo crown edition for $300 28 in smooth bore and a 24 in rifled barrel with rifled sights.

thats what i bought and im happy with it.

i originally went in for the 870 but it actually had some rust on the barrel and it was brand new. and the 500 was the same price with an extra barrel.

ill have a remington some day

Yep...my 870s develop surface rust easily if not oiled and stored well.

npbrownf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    I have a 870 with a field barrel but I kind of want hd that I dont have to swap barrels. I figured by the time I put money into a new barrel and stock I could almost have another gun.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Love my 870 Express. I got the package with two barrels. I keep the 18 inch slug barrel with the standard sights on it, even though it is loaded with #4 for home defense.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    X2 these are Tacticalshotgunner shotties:

TscShotties005.jpg

Nice matched pair...we have a Remington 870 Tactical in 20 gauge, shooting 00 Buck. It has a Meprolight front night sight on it, a factory extended mag tube, and a 5-shot, neoprene shell holder on the buttstock, giving us 12 rounds. We went with a 20 gauge because my wife is not a fan of the 12 gauge...and my deer shotgun is already set up in 20 gauge.

Top Bottom