• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    I'll take the handgun anyday inside the house. I know a lot of guys from what I read are going long, but I have to reference Chris Costa. Handguns can give you an extra hand for fighting, securing, ect and if you train properly you can engage people up to 50+ yards.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I voted 6, for a suppressed bull pup. Good retention characteristics in CQB with an OAL between an SBR and a 16" with a chance to preserve your hearing, and serious threat dispatch in caliber and ammo on board.

I'm really surprised more people didn't take this option with this survey. When I have the funds put aside my wife and I are going to do exactly this with our HD setup except we'll probably use the AR-15 platform. A 10.5" SBR or a bullpup with a suppressor and proper SD ammo will give mobility, firepower, round count, reduced over-penetration dangers, and retained hearing. Winner in my book any day of the week.

Other than that I have my EDC on my person at all times. I'd simply use it to make my way to a rifle.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Hopefully I don't live next door to anyone who chose AR-15/AK-47...

Actually, I would prefer to live next to someone that used an AR. Check out penetration testing with ARs, one would be GREATLY surprised. AKs, that's another can o worms. Good, expanding ammo, even then, the bonded stuff for AKs could go through and still retain energy. I envision most AK owners just loading with ball and letting 'er rip or worse, "hey, them Wolf hollows are hollow points that expand" as the rounds act like ball in testing.

Shotguns, same way. I use a shotgun personally, but I train with it MUCH more than some of the other weapon systems for HD. Use of specialized shotgun ammo (low recoil Flite Control buck shot) and training may negate some of the overpenetration issues with shotguns. What scares me are the folks that dutch load: "I'm gonna use birdshot for the first 5 rounds, then 3 sabot slugs if that don't work" Fosters CAN break up to uselessness in overpenetration events, but sabots generally not. Those will careen through the house and hit something with LOTS of energy to spare.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm really surprised more people didn't take this option with this survey. When I have the funds put aside my wife and I are going to do exactly this with our HD setup except we'll probably use the AR-15 platform. A 10.5" SBR or a bullpup with a suppressor and proper SD ammo will give mobility, firepower, round count, reduced over-penetration dangers, and retained hearing. Winner in my book any day of the week.

Other than that I have my EDC on my person at all times. I'd simply use it to make my way to a rifle.

A Tavor with a supressor would be an ideal tool for just about any conceivable defense situation in your home and most outside of your home.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I'll take the handgun anyday inside the house. I know a lot of guys from what I read are going long, but I have to reference Chris Costa. Handguns can give you an extra hand for fighting, securing, ect and if you train properly you can engage people up to 50+ yards.

having worked with chris for years and still being friends, what house is going to give you 50 yard shots? most shooters cant perform at 25 yards?
    under ideal range days***,, ahh why are you going hands on in your house? what and whom are you securing? have you trained with chris? have you asked these questions, there is more to this than just a weapon issue its software issue

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    having worked with chris for years and still being friends, what house is going to give you 50 yard shots? most shooters cant perform at 25 yards?
    under ideal range days***,, ahh why are you going hands on in your house? what and whom are you securing? have you trained with chris? have you asked these questions, there is more to this than just a weapon issue its software issue

Chris Costa Interview: Shotgun or Handgun for Home Defense - YouTube

Calm down buddy. I don't know if it is just because you and Chris are best buds or something but you're taking what I said out of context. I posted the interview for you.

50 yds was just a reference point. Can you hit a man sized target at 50 yds? A lot of Police firearms instructors courses require you to hit a man sized target at 50 yds. Also I believe it was a requirement for the Military Handgun testing (don't quote me on that one). Also, it helps identify problems one might have while shooting because the distance amplifies the placement. It is a practical test IMO. I figured the home was property as well which can be more than 50 yds for some. I thought it was obvious I wasn't talking in the home. Didn't think anyway would assume that's what I meant sorry about that.

Fighting was meant to imply a CQB scenario where you may have to guard your face as well as shoot or possibly create distance between you and an attacker (I would reference Rob Pincus on this one but I don't know if you guys are friends too). No I have not worked with Chris which apparently means I can't learn from things he says or reference them.

PS My software is fine.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Chris Costa Interview: Shotgun or Handgun for Home Defense - YouTube

Calm down buddy. I don't know if it is just because you and Chris are best buds or something but you're taking what I said out of context. I posted the interview for you.

50 yds was just a reference point. Can you hit a man sized target at 50 yds? A lot of Police firearms instructors courses require you to hit a man sized target at 50 yds. Also I believe it was a requirement for the Military Handgun testing (don't quote me on that one). Also, it helps identify problems one might have while shooting because the distance amplifies the placement. It is a practical test IMO. I figured the home was property as well which can be more than 50 yds for some. I thought it was obvious I wasn't talking in the home. Didn't think anyway would assume that's what I meant sorry about that.

Fighting was meant to imply a CQB scenario where you may have to guard your face as well as shoot or possibly create distance between you and an attacker (I would reference Rob Pincus on this one but I don't know if you guys are friends too). No I have not worked with Chris which apparently means I can't learn from things he says or reference them.

PS My software is fine.

my normal warms ups are at 25 and 50 yards as well as often working steel at 100 yards
    I get the point iam asking the questions of why's
    Rob pincus oh yeah that guy don't ever mention him around me ever...........

my take is this..if I control my home with a far superior weapon aka long gun, what am I doing going hands on? and why did I get that close? poor tactics
    In cqb if they want to fight you or grab your gun, you give them the muzzle and the rounds attached inside it period.
    having spent the last year doing a lot of CQb work up for LEO/MIL/and home defense classes things have gone bad

I get having a portable weapon with one handed capabilities
    when will you be justified to engage outside your home at distance?
    you can learn from many things I never implied that I was asking a question
    most people cant hit at 25 yards let alone 15 they line in 0-10 yard world its stupid to be honest

you can do almost the same ttps with carbine or shotgun that you can with a pistol minus the obvious 1 handed easily
    I get what your saying

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    my normal warms ups are at 25 and 50 yards as well as often working steel at 100 yards
    I get the point iam asking the questions of why's
    Rob pincus oh yeah that guy don't ever mention him around me ever...........

my take is this..if I control my home with a far superior weapon aka long gun, what am I doing going hands on? and why did I get that close? poor tactics
    In cqb if they want to fight you or grab your gun, you give them the muzzle and the rounds attached inside it period.
    having spent the last year doing a lot of CQb work up for LEO/MIL/and home defense classes things have gone bad

I get having a portable weapon with one handed capabilities
    when will you be justified to engage outside your home at distance?
    you can learn from many things I never implied that I was asking a question
    most people cant hit at 25 yards let alone 15 they line in 0-10 yard world its stupid to be honest

you can do almost the same ttps with carbine or shotgun that you can with a pistol minus the obvious 1 handed easily
    I get what your saying

Ok it was just my opinion. The end.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Why not a fan of Rob Pincus?

I want to hear this, cause everything I've seen him do/say falls into the general good idea bucket. Not everyone is going to have the same exact thought process, but I've been to gunsite and Rob Pincus, and my thoughts were both were good, both were valid, Gunsite caters to a 1911/Jeff Cooper crowd and Pincus a more explosive shoot till someone has stopped moving crowd.

But I enjoyed Pincus more because the pressure level was much higher. And I wore a blister in my hand shooting, (that's cool)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom