• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I am still waiting for an Ingo member to get his truck unstuck out of another member's yard so he can tow his boat to the lake and recover my guns that were lost in a competition to see whose safe would sink faster.

Personally for me its either my G27 and or my 870 18.5" Guess it really depends on which room of the house I am in, as I tend to fall asleep watching tv G27 is always with me...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have either a 1911 or CZ 75 on the nightstand (both with night sights) and an AR within arms reach. My sister has my Mossberg 500 until she can afford her own but I feel fine with just the AR and pistols.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Winchester 1300 Defender 20ga right next to the bed.
    8 rounds of #3 Buck will ensure my families safety.

f1z9lv.jpg

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    A Streamlight M6 with a Glock 37 .45 GAP stuffed full of Rangers, a set of Peltors on the floor and a Benelli M4 loaded with 00 buck for the wife for backup lets me sleep safe at night.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    18.5" 870 with 00 Buck shot, loaded and ready to go. If I'm woken up at 2:30am to the sound of a window breaking or something, I dont want to have think about racking my shotgun to scare them off. They have made up their mind by coming into my house...

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Racking a shotgun is the universal sound for "get out". This is usually enough to make someone run away fearing for their life. They may never be caught, but could learn a lesson (or just move to another house).

If I were to go searching my house looking for the person, I would definitely use my handgun as it is much harder for a criminal to grab it while I'm going around a corner.

Personally, I would grab my handgun as it is always close to me.

As far as revolver vs. semi-auto.....there are positives to both. I keep my semi-auto handy at all times. I just think it is safer to have with kids around. I tend to leave a loaded mag in it, but nothing in the chamber. Even if my 2 year old son got a hold of it and pulled the trigger, nothing would happen. He doesn't have enough strength to work the slide, but I can chamber one in an instant. (He wouldn't ever get access to it anyway as I keep it on my person at all times or locked in a safe.)

Rack any semiauto action. Better yet, have someone do it from three rooms away, I doubt you focus in on the fact that it was an 870 and not an Ar.

Think about this, why are these people in your house.
    - Is it your daughter sneaking in?
    - is it a drunk stumbiling in?
    -is it a theif?
    - are they their to cause you harm?
    if the first two they won't notice the gun loading, and you really want to consider shooting them. Especuially if say you forgot to lock your front door in the drunk's case.
    Alerting the theif could set them to violence, and is your tv worth legal fees, and a court battle? gather your kids, your wife, call the police, and shoot if they put you in danger, my:twocents:

In the unlikley event someone is there to do you harm, rape your wife, etc, the sound of the gun loading will alert them to where you are, and the fact that you are awake.

just some opinions to consider.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Wow.... lots of good (and divergent) opinions here. :)

Thanks for all the material to think about. I have to admit I *never* thought about the racking of a shotgun as giving away my position. I totally bought into the conventional wisdom that the sound alone will make people go away. Most people would probably react by running away, but the determined ones will likely take that as a clue as to where I am. Good point -- thanks!

I do like the idea of the flashlight and the pistol. I'm more comfy with the pistols and don't yet have a shottie, so this gives me the peace of mind that getting one is not something that I need to do RIGHTNOWRIGHTNOW -- I'm fine with the PPQ or the S&W .38 (though I think the PPQ, having a higher capacity, will be a better tool when I don't know what I'm going to have to deal with).

Fortunately (or not....) I live alone, no wife and kids, so I don't have to worry about accidentally drawing down on someone from the family just making noise or coming in late. Anyone in the house after night (or most of the day, really) other than me should not be there. ;)

Again, thanks, guys. This site is a freakin' font of wisdom. :)

Tony

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If I were to go searching my house looking for the person, I would definitely use my handgun as it is much harder for a criminal to grab it while I'm going around a corner.

Harder to grab? Maybe, maybe not, depending on how you work, I suppose. For those who have trained at CQB with long guns (or pugil sticks for you other Marines out there...), though, the game changes dramatically. I would choose a long gun, given the option, because if I'm going to fight at bad breath distance, that long gun is a serious tool. Especially if one end is sharp and pointy.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Someone was asking a question about which shottie to get for home protection, and that got me to thinking.

I thought I should throw this question out to the great pool of wisdom that is INGO.

What, in general terms, is the best thing to have for home protection? If you hear a bump in the night, or breaking glass, or whatever...

Would you grab a handgun, or a shotgun? Which would be better for general home defense, and why would you prefer it? (And do you think, even, revolver v. semi-auto makes a diff?)

Tony

So many factors go into this decision.
    Where do you live? House and if so are their children present? Apartment with alot of neigbors very close? You do not want something that will over penetrate and be going through somebody else's apartment.

What are you most trained with and comfortable with? Yes obviously a 12 ga is going to be a great threat stopper, but if you have no shotgun experience I would not recommend running out and buying one today and having it as your go to gun by tonight. Whatever you choose make sure you are completely familiar with that weapon and well trained with it. Also, what is the layout of your home? Alot of corners and several rooms that would need to be cleared? This takes training with a long gun so you do not lead with the weapon and risk having it taken away from you.

For me my go to gun is my handgun (my EDC gun for that matter). I practice with it often. I know it in and out. I am fully confident with my ability to use it in. I also have shotguns and rifles, but I am most comfortable with the handgun for a grab and go in the middle of the night along with a flashlight.

There are many answers to this question and as with carry guns there is not one best answer for everyone.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Would you grab a handgun, or a shotgun? (or AR)
    Tony
    Which room am I in when this happens?

The guest room has an 870 but I assume you will also bring some of your own "stuff" too. :D In general handguns tend to stash better by the beds or in the laundry room. Rifles and shotguns are easy to stage around the house, by doors, along hallways and often traveled paths and in the center. I think it is more about easy access then type of gun. All are designed to kill.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I think it depends on certain factors, like the layout of your house, the proximity of your neighbors, what you have trained and become proficient at using....

My go-to is an 870 7 shot with a surefire forend loaded with double-aught buckshot. In addition to my firearms, large dogs that would be more than happy to discriminate between intruders and members of the house are great at aiding in threat detection. I want to be able to first determine it is a threat, and see my target... Since even that short of a pause is critical, I want to be able to neutralize the threat quickly, but without putting my neighbors in danger. I feel a 12 gauge fits my situation well.

If I did not live in the city, an AR or AK pattern rifle would work freat also. Some may feel confident with their handguns, and lets be honest with ourselves - even though a shotgun puts a ridiculous amount of holes in a bad guy quickly, handguns will definitely get the job done. How I see it, since I am already in my home, I can grab whichever gun I want, since I am not limited to what I carry on my person - so I might as grab the 12 gauge.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom