• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Greenfield woman runs into Greenfield police officer, kills him, does not even stop, takes a week to turn herself in and she gets home detention, HOME DETENTION. That's it, HOME DETENTION.

This is unexcuseable to that officer's family, his fellow officers, the citizens of Greenfield. I can't believe all she got was home detention.

4 years HOME DETENTION

(2 years with GOOD TIME)

Driver's License suspended for 6 months.

THAT IS IT????? REALLY?????:twocents:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, what's the running tab on unpunished killings by officers versus civilians again?
    Wow. First reply, even.

It shouldn't make one bit of difference that she killed a LEO. She ran someone down because she was distracted, fled, and eventually got caught.

Seems pretty lame. Folks get more time for smoking pot.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Specific cases you are refering to?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not exactly thrilled this woman killed someone and got such a BS sentence. Rather the idea that because she killed a policeman that she is deserving of a stiffer sentence than if she had killed any other joe average citizen.

As to your question, I can think of a bunch.

The homeless Schizophrenic in Cali.
    Amadou Diallo in NYC.
    Sean Bell in NYC.
    The gentleman I just read about this morning in Fairfax County.
    The Branch Davidians.
    The Weavers.
    et al.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I don't care if the victim was a cop, a housewife or factory worker, if you hit and kill someone in an accident and leave the scene, you deserve at least some jail time.

Who was this woman? Is she connected in some way?

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What matters is that there was a lose of life due to her actions. It doesn't matter who was killed, the fact is someone died, some family lost a son, father, husband. She does not turn herself in until a week later. And her punishment is HOME DETENTION.
    This is insane at so many levels.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    NYFelon said:
    So, what's the running tab on unpunished killings by officers versus civilians again?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not exactly thrilled this woman killed someone and got such a BS sentence. Rather the idea that because she killed a policeman that she is deserving of a stiffer sentence than if she had killed any other joe average citizen.

Any Indiana residents that have an issue with penalties being stiffer in certain cases for offenses against an LEO need to talk to their legislators then. Penalties are also stiffer for certain offenses against EMTs, Firefighters, Correctional Officers, etc. That's a legal point I'm making, not a personal one. I've not had any uncivil interactions with you in the past here on INGO, but your first comment was classless, unnecessary, and irrelevant to the topic. :noway:

To stay on topic, I think the sentence was ridiculous. It doesn't matter who the victim was, she ran someone over and killed them and fled the scene. She should face more than this.

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    just because there have been national instances that mistakes have happened in law enforcement, some (ie the branch dividian incident) are far greater than others. there is no excuse to shrug this injustice. a man who dedicated his life to public safety was run down like a possum and left to die.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Any Indiana residents that have an issue with penalties being stiffer in certain cases for offenses against an LEO need to talk to their legislators then. Penalties are also stiffer for certain offenses against EMTs, Firefighters, Correctional Officers, etc. That's a legal point I'm making, not a personal one. I've not had any uncivil interactions with you in the past here on INGO, but your first comment was classless, unnecessary, and irrelevant to the topic. :noway:

To stay on topic, I think the sentence was ridiculous. It doesn't matter who the victim was, she ran someone over and killed them and fled the scene. She should face more than this.

As my second post, which you quoted, notes - I too find the idea of such a lenient sentence for the negligent killing of another human being repugnant on its face. My issue was the framing of the OP aiming the furor not at the fact that another human being was wantonly killed, but that it was all the more egregious because of the persons' profession. Would this sentence have been any less ridiculous had the victim been a carpenter, engineer, or computer programmer? I'm inclined to say no.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The fact is, her crime was leaving the scene, not killing the officer. If she had stopped, it would have been considered an accident and she would not be punished.. She is being punished for leaving the scene of an accident. That considered, 4 years of home detention is a lot, and I don't feel she is getting off "easy".

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Wait, she gets put on home detention for four years, but they will let her have her license back in six months? That is kind of messed up.

I don't know in her case, but in a lot of HD cases, the person is still allowed to work. That would explain getting her license back earlier. She'll have an ankle monitor that tracks her movements.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Be her own admission, she was "distracted" would that not be "involutary manslaughter"? I just find all of this fishy, from her surrender a week later to her punishment. How does anybody absolutely know it was an accident? I am not implying she did it on purpose, but what if she was under the influence and needed a week to pass a blood test? No punishement will ever bring that man back to his family, but IMO 4 years detention is an insult to his family.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Be her own admission, she was "distracted" would that not be "involutary manslaughter"? I just find all of this fishy, from her surrender a week later to her punishment. How does anybody absolutely know it was an accident? I am not implying she did it on purpose, but what if she was under the influence and needed a week to pass a blood test? No punishement will ever bring that man back to his family, but IMO 4 years detention is an insult to his family.

****According to the facts we have, it was an accident.****

I guess I assumed that part was implied.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I wonder if the lady is "rich" (financially).

On a side note, a coworker of mine, her husband is a cop looking for new work. Reason being its pointless detaining criminals nowadays. He was head butted by some lady, who was then released with all charges dismissed by a judge.

But getting home detention for murder???? THATS ONE OF THE WORST POSSIBLE CRIMES!!!!! If you get home detention for murder nowadays, what qualifies for jail/prison time?

Top Bottom