• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not exactly thrilled this woman killed someone and got such a BS sentence. Rather the idea that because she killed a policeman that she is deserving of a stiffer sentence than if she had killed any other joe average citizen.

As to your question, I can think of a bunch.

The homeless Schizophrenic in Cali.
    Amadou Diallo in NYC.
    Sean Bell in NYC.
    The gentleman I just read about this morning in Fairfax County.
    The Branch Davidians.
    The Weavers.
    et al.
    OK, I didn't know if you were referring to a specific incident similar to this or all incidents in general. Just asking.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The fact is, her crime was leaving the scene, not killing the officer. If she had stopped, it would have been considered an accident and she would not be punished.. She is being punished for leaving the scene of an accident. That considered, 4 years of home detention is a lot, and I don't feel she is getting off "easy".

Here is the statute for leaving the scene of an accident that results in serious bodily injury:

"IC 9-26-1-8
    Failure to stop and remain at scene of accident resulting in injury or death; failure of driver to fulfill duties following collisions with unattended vehicles or other property; classification of violations
    Sec. 8. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally fails to stop or comply with section 1(1) or 1(2) of this chapter after causing injury to a person commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is:
    (1) a Class D felony if:
    (A) the accident involves serious bodily injury to a person; or
    (B) within the five (5) years preceding the commission of the offense, the person had a previous conviction of any of the offenses listed in IC 9-30-10-4(a);
    (2) a Class C felony if the accident involves the death of a person; and
    (3) a Class B felony if the person knowingly or intentionally fails to stop or comply with section 1(1) or 1(2) of this chapter after committing operating while intoxicated causing serious bodily injury (IC 9-30-5-4).
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally fails to stop or comply with section 3 or 4 of this chapter after causing damage to the property of another person commits a Class B misdemeanor."

Here is the statute regarding the punishment for a C Felony:

"IC 35-50-2-6
    Class C felony; commission of nonsupport of child as Class D felony
    Sec. 6. (a) A person who commits a Class C felony shall be imprisoned for a fixed term of between two (2) and eight (8) years, with the advisory sentence being four (4) years. In addition, the person may be fined not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000).

I think she got off pretty easily.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    To stay on topic, I think the sentence was ridiculous. It doesn't matter who the victim was, she ran someone over and killed them and fled the scene. She should face more than this.

Eh, I saw the point, even if it wasn't made in the most tactful way. And there's truth to it.

I wonder if the lady is "rich" (financially).

On a side note, a coworker of mine, her husband is a cop looking for new work. Reason being its pointless detaining criminals nowadays. He was head butted by some lady, who was then released with all charges dismissed by a judge.
    No kidding. I just ran a criminal history on an applicant whose latest run-in with the police netted the following charges: battery (on a police officer no less: steak knife to a finger), resisting arrest (misdemeanor), and prostitution. A felony resisting charge was not filed. 10 months later, the State files a motion to dismiss. Taking the incident report in the words of the arresting officer at face value, there's no way she should get off without a guilty plea or an actual trial. If a judge/jury acquits, fine. But just to send her on her merry way? :xmad: Thanks for wasting my tax dollars.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Taking the incident report in the words of the arresting officer at face value, there's no way she should get off without a guilty plea or an actual trial. If a judge/jury acquits, fine. But just to send her on her merry way? :xmad: Thanks for wasting my tax dollars.

Seriously!! I wonder how many tax dollars are completely wasted on paying officers/judges etc etc on crimes that get dismissed but shouldnt

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    OK, I didn't know if you were referring to a specific incident similar to this or all incidents in general. Just asking.

No offense taken, as I'm sure none was meant. As I have subsequently explained, It's not as if I was like "Oh, just a cop killed eh? Carry on then." I think if you were to search all of my posts, while I am critical of law enforcement, and especially abuses by law enforcement, I have never once wished, or made refernce to a desire to see police officers injured or killed because they are police officers. The "Eff The poh-lice" attitude is not my style. Again, as I explained, the way in which the OP was presented, and not the material contained, was what got stuck in my craw.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Greenfield woman runs into Greenfield police officer, kills him, does not even stop, takes a week to turn herself in and she gets home detention, HOME DETENTION. That's it, HOME DETENTION.

This is unexcuseable to that officer's family, his fellow officers, the citizens of Greenfield. I can't believe all she got was home detention.

4 years HOME DETENTION

(2 years with GOOD TIME)

Driver's License suspended for 6 months.

THAT IS IT????? REALLY?????:twocents:

You forgot the part about "PROBABLY" intoxicated! Man it must be nice to know enough people that you can kill somebody and then arrange to turn yourself in when it's at your convenience. I woulda thunk alcohol wouldn't take a week to leave your bloodstream though. Yeah I know, conjecture on my part but pretty damn suspicious. But then again I'm not from Greenfield so I don't have any idea "Who she is" or if that's even the case.

kamum76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Her sentence was ridiculous. It is a slap in a face to Phelps wife and children. Then she wants to blame the Greenfield PD.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    The fact is, her crime was leaving the scene, not killing the officer. If she had stopped, it would have been considered an accident and she would not be punished.. She is being punished for leaving the scene of an accident. That considered, 4 years of home detention is a lot, and I don't feel she is getting off "easy".
    I think you had it about right up until you implied her punishment was harsh. I feel considering the charges, her lack of record, this is probably about right. Maybe even should have gotten slightly more, but not "off with the head" that others are screaming for.....

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I watched a girl in court facing a B felony charge of burglary (i think it was B). Anyway, the judge finds out she is waiting trail for a separate incident in another county for the same charge! Sentence? Probation and court costs. WTF?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I think you had it about right up until you implied her punishment was harsh. I feel considering the charges, her lack of record, this is probably about right. Maybe even should have gotten slightly more, but not "off with the head" that others are screaming for.....

I didn't say the punishment was harsh, I just said I didn't think she got off easy. I'd say it is probably right about where it should be.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You think adult courts are bad...try juvenile. I cannot tell you how many juvi's I've arrested for burglary, carjacking, robbery, that go to juvenile, get released in 2 hrs and NEVER face anything more than home detention. Many I have caught were on home detention while they were committing new crimes. Then they get placed in home detention again. Our adult system is overloaded. MOST all misdemeanors will get probation. Most all D felonies will get probation. Many C Felonies will get probation. B Felonies will get a few years but in Indiana you get a day for a day so jail time is not long. A's get more.

Top Bottom