Bedford, Indiana
    funny-pictures-bird-cat-cage.jpg

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    "Card Games" get robbed in this town more than you would think. If you are going to have one, make sure that only trustworthy people are invited and know about the game.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Good for him......even tried CPR on the wounded BG. That's more than I would have done. I wonder if they were playin' for money;)

That article ended a little bit weird. .......(quoted from link)

“It’s being investigated by IMPD detectives, there’s no indication of any alcohol,” Turner said.

WTF does it matter if the guys were drinking or not? This was a home invasion. I don't care if he was half in the bag and 3 sheets to the wind.

Wonder if they edited the article since this thread started. I read the article twice and seen no mention of alcohol.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I can't help but wonder why I see statements like this in just about every home invasion I read about here on INGO. We here in IN do have a castle doctrine. Can you site an instance where the home owner is sued?

I can't cite a specific example, and my post was not in support of such suits. It was in response to the reality that anyone can sue anyone for anything. Whether or not they are successful is of course another story, and relevant law, such as IN's "Castle Doctrine" do apply.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I agree...but unfortunately, it will to the attorney that will likely represent the perp in what I would expect that there will be the normal "wrongful death" suit filed in response.

As such circumstances such as the presence of alcohol and other circumstatial evidence will be used to try to "prove" that the homeowner was not justified in shooting and killing a man who broke into another man's home while brandishing a weapon and firing shots.

+1 for the homeowner for being prepared, who realized that just because he's off the clock, doesn't mean the danger ends.

The way I read this story, DEP Simmons was visiting someone else's home, not that that should make any difference. Broadcast versions, according to my wife, say the perp burst in, yelled "Freeze" or "Don't Move"; the deputy identified himself and told him to drop the weapon; the perp fired; the gunfight commenced. If that all turns out to be verified truth, DEP Simmons will be back to work at the jail soon.

Top Bottom